The Best 4K Dash Cam: Our Top 8 Picks for 2021
Having a dash cam is one of the simplest and most effective ways to protect yourself from liability on the road. We are firm believers that everyone should use a dash cam, and it’s particularly important for those who drive a lot.
As technology advances, we’re left with tons of options when it comes to choosing a dash cam. Today, there are even dash cameras with 4k resolution!
In this guide, we’ll help you find the best 4k dash cam for your needs.[aawp table=”2874″]
Why is a 4k Dash Camera Necessary?
To be frank, it’s not necessary to have 4k resolution on a dash cam, but that doesn’t mean it’s not beneficial! While cams that record in 1080p will do the trick in most situations, 4k cams simply pick up more detail. In the case of an accident, having better quality footage can mean the difference between a clear-cut victory and a drawn-out battle.
For instance, think about license plates. Capturing license plate numbers clearly and accurately is extremely important if you plan to use your cam footage in an insurance dispute. A 4k camera will simply do a better job at capturing those key details – even if it all happens in a split second.
This guide explains some of the differences between 4k and standard HD (it looks specifically at TVs, but the principles are the same).
What is the Best 4k Dash Cam?
There are many great 4k dashboard cameras on the market today. In an attempt to help you find the best 4k dash cam for you, we’ve personally used and researched a variety of models until we were comfortable narrowing it down to three popular models.
Along with hours of experience with these products, we’ve also looked at third-party customer reviews, manufacturer specifications, and other important factors to narrow the list down to the 3 best 4k dash cams.
The Rexing V1 3rd Generation is the newest edition of the best-selling Rexing V1. This model features 4k recording quality (2160p), alongside all the features that made the past generations of the V1 so popular. It has built-in WiFi, smartphone monitoring, loop recording, and G-Sensor technology to automatically detect collisions.
Overall, it’s our top pick for best 4k dash cam.
- Records in 4k (2880×2160 [2160p] @ 24fps.)
- WiFi built in, for monitoring and viewing footage on your smartphone
- Low-profile, discrete design (called the hidden dashboard cam)
- Amazing video quality to pick up all the details
- G-sensor technology detects collisions and permanently saves related footage
- 170-degree wide-angle lens
- Excellent reviews
- Part of the best-selling Rexing V1 product line
- Click here to learn more
The Rove R2-4K Dash Cam is an exceptional 4k dashboard cam that allows for recording with video resolutions of 2160p. Videos are shot with quality and clarity whether you’re capturing video during the day or at night, using the Super Night Vision technology.
The Rove R2-4K is a sophisticated, 4k dash cam that’s available for a good price. It also has hundreds of positive customer reviews online.
- Records in 4k (2160P)
- WiFi built in, for viewing footage on smartphones
- GPS tracking built-in (the GPS dashboard camera)
- Dash cam with parking mode which keeps your car protected even with engine turned off
- Loop recording is included
- 1-year warranty
- Great reviews
- Click here to learn more
The Blackvue DR900S-2CH is a high-end 4k dash camera from a trusted manufacturer. It’s a more pricey model than the others we recommend, but its specs more than back up the higher pricetag.
It not only records in true 4K UHD at 30fps, but it also connects to the BlackVue Over the Cloud service, which allows you to access a remove live view of your vehicle, activate emergency alarms, etc. Here are the basics:
- Front a rear recording dash cam
- Front records 4K UHD @ 30fps; rear records full HD @ 30fps
- Built-in WiFi G-Sensor and GPS
- Comes with 16gb Micro SD card (expand the memory with the help of our best SD card for dash cam article)
- Great night vision dash cam with 8mp front-facing and 2.1mp rear-facing CMOS sensor
- Resistant to high temperatures and has a high-temp automatic cutoff feature
- Click here to learn more
The LifeChaser Dual 4K model of dashcam is a front camera capable of capturing true 4K recording in 30 frames per second and 3840×2160 resolution. This device utilizes the Hisilicon HI3559V200 Processor, as well as the OmniVision OSO8A10 8 MP image sensor.
It is able to cover 170 degrees of angle with its lens, making it the most broad in comparison to other 4K dash cams. Although it provides wide coverage of the captured environment, certain distortions are quite possible from time to time.
Nevertheless, it is still capable of visually identifying license plate numbers of other vehicles.
Among them is the parking mode (which still necessitates a distinct hardwire kit), movement detection as well as a g-sensor capable of identifying collisions. On the occasion of a car crash, it can save and lock the video files.
There is a GPS feature included in the dashcam which can show the motion speed and geographic coordinates on the recording.
Besides, it includes integrated WiFi connecting your smartphone or tablet with the dashcam.
As it is listed among the best dash cams, it contains a 2,4” IPS screen, as well as buttons placed below used for changing settings and watching recorded videos.
- Integrated WiFi and GPS connection
- Equipped with a Dual Dash Cam Package, quite affordable dash cam with 4k which additionally includes a rear camera
- Company watermark is not present on the video files
- It is powered by a 250mAh lithium-ion battery and not with a capacitor, an option which can cause overheating in extreme temperature and questionable reliability (if You need a dash cam for hot weather check our review)
- Although other models support up to 256gb memory cards, this one support only up to 128gb
- It is not produced by an established brand. Being narrowly available on the internet may mean questionable customer support, as well as questionable future updates
- OmniVision OS_08A10 8MP Image Sensor enabling Upgraded Night Vision
- Best video compression methods with H.265-High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
- Accident Auto-Detection with Loop Recording & G-Sensor
- 24 Hour Motion Detection & Parking Mode
- Click here to learn more.
In spite of everything, LifeChaser is not sufficiently present on the internet. In case you try a simple basic Google search for this device, the chances for you to find an enterprise website with product user guidance, customer support service, or firmware updates is minimal.
All in all, it still incorporates the most common characteristics which can be found on other mid-range camera devices.
The X4 dash cam produced by Vantrue is claimed as the first 160-degree view field 4K dashcam in the world. The utilization of the IMX317 8MP image sensor produced by Sony secures a clean image quality in comparison to various off-brand and generic photographic sensors that can be found in other dash cams.
More than 12 hours of video recording storage is provided by a memory card with a size of 256GB as a result of the function of an 8MP image sensor capable of capturing 4K videos. The very company recommends the utilization of the Samsung Pro Endurance card.
The oldest video files are deleted to make space for new recordings in case the memory card fills up.
Taking into account that we are speaking about one of the best dash cams we also emphasize the presence of a rear 3.0 inch TFT LCD screen, which enables tuning of camera settings or the video recording directly on the device itself which is an advantage in comparison to other models which necessitate the usage of a USB cable or remote connection through a smartphone or tablet.
Its software contains an installed parking mode which enables protection of the vehicle when it is parked. This possibility enables the detection of movement and collision which activates the device automatically.
This additional particularity necessitates a separate purchase of a hardwire item which can be connected to the fuse box of the vehicle.
- This dash cam is with a capacitor rather than a battery, which makes it resistant to high heat and more reliable
- 160-degree wide coverage lens
- To capture better image quality on low light, it uses the Wide Dynamic Range (WDR)
- The device utilizes a suction cup mount which can make it prone to falling as it hangs and it becomes more visible and exposed to theft since it is not hidden well
- There is a necessity to purchase an additional GPS module to be connected with the mount since it is not equipped with its integrated GPS item
- Motion & Impact detection featuring Parking mode
- Sony IMX317 8 MP image sensor
- 3840x2160P 4K video
- MicroSD with 128GB capacity
- Click here to learn more.
Albeit we may say that it is not exactly the first 4K dash cam in production, it certainly is the first 160-degree angle lens 4K car camera in the world. Providing you with an especially wider field of view, it certainly represents the widest angle lens available on the market these days.
In addition, the build, picture quality and resistance to heat are crucial characteristics for a 4K camera. This product is highly recommendable.
The A129 Pro Duo model camera is characterized by a high video quality front camera and an additional 1080p rear HD camera. Both of these cameras contain a cutting-edge Sony image sensor which is famous for its exquisite image quality which provides the user with the ability to capture license plates at any time during day and night.
Being one of the best dash equipment, it offers multiple options regarding its rear camera. One possibility is the mounting of this camera on the back window of the car (being also the rear view dash camera) to record the outside of the vehicle. Another is the mounting of an interior infrared camera that records the inside of the car – a possibility frequently practiced by drivers of Uber, Lyft, or taxi vehicles (which dash cam is for Uber, and which is the best dash camera for Lift? We got You covered in our reviews).
Its advanced Parking Mode features enable the recording of anything happening 15 seconds before a possible event regarding the vehicle (impact or movement) as it continues to perform 30 seconds following the potential accident.
It eventually saves and locks a video file with high image quality in the storage. You will have to use an external battery pack to entirely use the parking mode features. Another alternative would be a hardwire kit tapped into the car’s battery.
You can also directly connect your smartphone or tablet into the dashcam, download, and watch videos by an integrated WiFi. There is also an option to watch the videos directly from a 2 inch LCD screen in case you can’t or don’t want to connect your phone
Many of these devices are put on the market together with a mount with an integrated GPS module unit that can display the actual speed on the dashcam screen together with watermarking your geographic location and velocity. In case you don’t want them shown on your display, you can disable this feature from the video file.
The A129 Pro Duo gives you the possibility of purchasing a CPL (Circular Polarizing Lens) filter which diminishes the reflection of glare and lens which is caused by sunlight. In case you want to save some videos you may lock them or take pictures with just pushing a button which is a possibility made real by a BlueTooth remote control.
- Both the front and back camera use an image sensor produced by Sony
- Its small wedge size and black color make it less noticeable from outside (being a small dashboard cam)
- It is good for hot or cold weather conditions since it uses a capacitor rather than a battery
- Its field of view is small – 130 degrees in comparison to other cameras which have a degree of coverage not less than 150 degrees
- Although it can be purchased together with a GPS mount, it still does not have an integrated GPS
- Integrated Wi-Fi
- 4K Video Main Cam and 1080p Rear Cam
- Motion Detection included in Buffered Parking Mode
- 256GB microSD card capacity
- Click here to learn more.
All in all, the VIOFO produced A129 Duo Pro enables high video quality of 4K at a very economical price while simultaneously being made by a distinguished company. A characteristic useful for extreme weather conditions is that this dashcam is powered by a capacitor.
These crucial features put it among recommendable cameras
The THINKWARE U1000 full 4K resolution dashcam, which, with its Sony Exmor R STARVIS 8MP image sensor, is capable of recording at 3840x2160p @30fps is ranked among the best dash devices available on the market. It provides recording at @60fps in case the video quality is reduced to 2K.
It utilizes a front camera with a 150 degrees angle lens, whilst the additional rear dash cam uses a 156 degrees angle lens.
The main U1000 unit can additionally be connected to an optional rear dash cam which constitutes a dual dash cam setup sharing a single memory card unit. Its main camera makes recordings in full 4K while the optional rear camera captures at 2560×1440 @30fps.
There is a possibility for your vehicle location to be remotely checked through your Android or iOS smartphone device due to the THINKWARE CLOUD. In case your g-sensor detects a sudden impact from a collision or the event of your car leaving a particular geographic area, you will get an automatic notification.
- It is more resistant to extremely hot temperatures due to its use of a Capacitor instead of a battery
- It’s cleverly designed in a tube/wedge shape which enables it to be attached behind the rearview mirror, thus making it less noticeable
- It is produced by an established brand which provides excellent customer services and has a warranty of 24 months
- It supports a microSD card with a capacity of 128GB, in comparison to others which work with 256GB+ memory storage devices
- It is much more expensive when compared to average 4K dash cams
- Integrated GPS and WiFi
- Main camera with 4K HD Video (3840X2160)
- 8MP Sony Exmor R STARVIS image sensor
- Motion & impact detection including Parking mode
- Click here to learn more.
We are talking about a small wedge-shaped unit which is ranked among the most stealthy 4K dash cams available on the market, due to its dark colors. It is difficult to be spotted by potential thieves because it’s attaching pad can be stuck on the windshield or behind the rearview mirror.
THINKWARE is ranked between the best dash cam products due to its solid design and quality supported by effective customer service.
The Stealth 4K dash cam produced by ROVE can capture high video quality recordings due to its realistic 4K image capturing capabilities provided by the OmniVision OS09A10 8MP image sensor.
The Stealth 4K utilizes a ROVE dashcam app to establish a connection to your Android or Apple iOS smartphone. It’s integrated WiFi feature gives you the ability to download photos or videos from your dashcam directly to your phone or tablet.
You also can overlay your velocity together with your vehicle’s location onto videos via its built-in GPS. In case you don’t choose to use the app or your cellular phone to watch the recordings or adjust camera settings, you have the option to utilize the 2.35 IPS display placed on the rear of the camera.
It can take 20MP still photos due to its camera feature. Additionally, the Stealth 4K uses a specific algorithm to correct image distortion in the field of view, as well as to improve the curvature of the image from the wide-angle lens resulting in better image quality.
Similar to many other average-quality and high-performance dash cams, the Stealth 4K operates with its 24/7 parking mode characteristic which can identify movement and collision while the car is in an immobile state or you are away, due to its g-sensor technology.
This feature necessitates an additional hardwire equipment which is connectable to the car’s fuse box, making it possible to use power when the engine is off.
Different from some dash cams with a GPS from which you need to additionally purchase a distinct GPS unit occupying extra space on the car’s windshield, the Stealth 4K is the best dash because it comes with a GPS integrated within the very unit. This auxiliary feature will inform you regarding your travel speed and coordinates which are watermarked on the video file itself.
- Integrated WiFi and GPS
- Memory card capacity of 512GB microSD
- 1 Year Warranty for the device
- Since it hangs with a suction cup mount, it may easily fall off and it is also noticeable from the outside of the car
- Not resistant to overheating in extremely hot weather due to using a battery instead of a capacitor
- An engraved watermark on all of its video recordings
- OS08A10 OmniVision image sensor
- 150° lens angle
- Motion & impact detection including Parking Mode
- Still pictures with 20MP resolution
- Click here to learn more.
Being a company renowned for its excellent customer support via its customer care service based in Chicago, it provides the unsatisfied buyers of the camera the possibility of getting a full refund within 30 days. Due to its practicality and most of its satisfactory features, this 4K dash cam is recommendable to users.
Pros & Cons of 4K Dash Cameras
- Better recording quality
- Can pick up license plate numbers better than standard dash cams
- Generally use higher quality components than standard cams
- Burn through a LOT of storage space – you’ll need a very large SD card
- More expensive than average dash cam
How We Chose the Best 4k Dash Cams
There are plenty of things to consider when choosing a dash cam. Whether you want something that has plenty of features or something more basic, you’ll still find multiple options. With that in mind, here are some things worth considering when you go shopping for a 4k dashboard camera.
Value – You can find a good deal on a dash cam, but don’t forget that you’re going to get what you pay for. Many of the cheaply priced 4k dash cams aren’t as feature rich as some of the models which cost just a bit more.
Ultimately, where value is concerned, we look at the prices of each model and what they offer to determine what’s fair and what’s worth paying for.
Picture Quality – For many people this is going to be the most important feature. Whether you choose something that’s 1080P or 1440P, you deserve the clearest possible quality available.
For example, many 4k models will allow you to capture everything from street signs to license plates while you’re driving. Picture quality and proper resolution are especially important if you need to use the recordings for something like an accident.
Ease of Installation/Setup – Depending on your knowledge and comfort with dash cams, you can either have your new dash cam installed by Geek Squad or another tech service. However, if you want to install it yourself it’s important to make sure that instructions are easy to follow and thorough enough that you should have minimal questions.
Display – Like many features, the display size will vary depending on the 4k dash cam that you purchase. Some screens are 1.5 inches, but you can find many of them that are closer to 2.5 or 3 inches.
The benefit of a larger screen is that it’s going to be easier to adjust settings and review the camera angle prior to driving as well as to quickly review footage instantly should you need to after an incident.
Added Features – There are a variety of features that may be available on your dash cam, depending on the one you choose. Some popular features, included in the dash cams we chose, are parking surveillance, Wi-Fi capabilities, GPS, and a variety of other features.
Warranty – You’ll also want to keep in mind how long the warranty lasts. The most standard option we’ve found tends to be about 12 months, but there are others out there as long as 18 months or up to two or more years.
Why Our Opinion Counts
Finding the right 4k dash cam is important, which is why we’ve spent dozens of hours researching the best dash cam models from the top reputable brands.
After extensive analysis of the various product features, the manufacturing processes, and the consideration of third-party customer reviews, we’ve come up with the top options to help you find the best 4k dashboard camera for you. (we also reviewed the best dash cam according to Reddit community)
There are dozens of 4k dash cams on the market, and to help you find the best one we’ve taken the time to learn as much as we can about each of them, to narrow the field down to the best 4k dash cams available today so you can quickly and easily make an informed decision and get a product that meets your expectations.
Further Reading on Dash Cams
If you didn’t quite find what you were looking for, check out our articles regarding:
Lastly, feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
NO SPAM, JUST STORIES.
Subscribe to the Ridester.com newsletter and never miss a gig-economy story.
*We don't spam, we promise.