The Best Dash Cam Reddit Recommends: Our Thoughts
As anyone who has spent more than a few minutes on the site can tell you, Reddit.com is far more than just cute cat pictures and memes.
In fact, it’s a massive collection of communities sharing in everything from political musings to interesting facts to product recommendations to… cute cat pictures.
Reddit is so popular that it’s actually a great resource for many things, including (in some cases) product recommendations.
Since we review a lot of dash cams here at Educated Driver, we thought it would be worthwhile to go over the /r/dashcam subreddit’s recommendations.
If you’re searching for the best dash cam Reddit recommends, here’s the list, followed by our thoughts on these individual models.
Quick List of Best Dash Cams Reddit 2022
- Spy Tec G1W-CB – Best Reddit Cheap Option
- Black Box Mobius Pro – Best Reddit Versatile Option
- Transcend DP520 Dash Cam
- Street Guardian SG9665GC – Reddit Best Night Vision
- BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera
Best Dash Cam Reddit Recommendations
These recommended dash cameras come straight from the /r/dashcam wiki and are compiled by the subreddit’s users and moderators.
For the most part, we think these recommendations are solid, but we’ve included our thoughts next to each of the recommendations to help our readers out.
SPY TEC G1W-CB
- Full HD Video | 1080p 30fps | 120 Wide Angle Lens |
- Capacitor based model for improved operating temperature – no battery required
- G-Sensor Capabilities | 2.7 inch LTPS LED screen
- Includes simple suction mount
- Records in loop recording
BLACK BOX MOBIUS PRO
- 1080p Full HD Video & Audio Recording
- WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) Lens which features large FOV with High Quality Low Light Video Recording
- Records in Loop Recording or Still Images – Time Lapse Recording Capable
- Small Size that Features HD Quality Found on Larger Camera Models
- Records in loop recording
- Motion g-sensor detects impacts and automatically protects current recording
- Aperture and 130 degree viewing angle for clear and smooth 1080p recordings
- The 180-degree rotatable rear lens comes with the four infrared LEDs, allowing you to record sharp in-car videos at night or in low light conditions.
STREET GUARDIAN SG9665GC
- The SG9665GC v3 is a Set-it-and-Forget-it, FULL HD 1080P DashCam Video Security Car DVR Appliance
- Medium-Wide 120 degrees horizontal resulting in a Crystal Clear Perfectly Focused Sharp Image
- Large pixel native 1080P sensor + WDR means GOOD Night performance
- Ultra-Compact Glass Hugging Stealthy Install.
- Attachable CPL (Circular Polarizing Lens) filter to reduce the amount of glare captured by the camera
- Dr650s-hd and rearview camera(2ch), 16gb SD card included
- 2 megapixel cmos sensor, 129 degree angle of view, built-in microphone, high-capacity memory card support (up to 128gb)
- Various recording modes, motion detection in parking mode recording, 360 rotation cylinder in sleek design
- Universal file format: Mp4, video playback on various devices
- My Way viewer built-in GPS and g-sensor and WIFI Internal emergency battery
1. Cheap Option – Spy Tec G1W-CB
Reddit recommends that their budget-minded users seek out a SpyTec G1W-CB dash cam.
This model features 1080p recording quality at 30fps, supports up to a 64gb SD card, and is easy to operate.
Our Thoughts: Frankly, unless you are on a really tight budget, you should probably avoid this camera.
If you look at Amazon reviews, you’ll note that this model sports a less-than-impressive 3 out of 5 stars, with a whopping 30%+ of reviews being 1-star.
Lots of reviewers complain about the camera not lasting long, intermittent recording issues, and more.
Yes, the camera is cheap, but honestly, you can spend $10-$30 more and get a MUCH better camera.
And in fact, sometimes you can find significantly better models for LESS than this SpyTec.
See our guide to the best cheap dash cams for our recommendations.
2. Versatile: Black Box Mobius Pro
In the “versatile” category, the best dash cam Reddit wiki names the Mobius Pro as a great option.
It’s a compact option, offering 1080p recording at 30fps or 720p at 60fps (if You are looking into higher resolution recording see our top 4k dashboard cameras).
Its small size makes it easy to install, and it’s easy to operate, as well.
Our Thoughts: Overall, a pretty solid camera. It’s small, which is a plus, and it records good quality video.
It has about 4/5 stars on Amazon, so it’s well reviewed overall.
For the price, though, we think there are better cameras out there.
If you are looking into the small size dashboard cameras check out our review of that kind of dash cam.
3. Taxi/Uber/Lyft Cam: Transcend DP520
The Transcend DP520 tops Reddit’s recommendations for users seeking a camera to use with Uber or Lyft driving.
It features both a front-facing and rear-facing camera, which is useful for recording goings-on both inside and outside your vehicle.
Our Thoughts: This is a good camera, but it didn’t quite make our list of the best Lyft dash cams or the best Uber dash cams.
It’s rated 4/5 stars on Amazon, and it comes with a free SD card, which is nice.
With that said, for the price there are better options some without SD cards but we reviewed the SD cards for dash cameras also, to help You with everything.
4. Night Vision: Street Guardian SG9665GC
For “night vision” specific cams, Reddit recommends the Street Guardian SG9665GC.
It records in 1080p at 30fps and does offer impressive night vision technology.
It’s also won several awards and industry recognition, beyond just the best dash cam Reddit recommendations.
Our Thoughts: We like this camera, particularly for those who know they’ll be driving at night often.
And, we’re far from alone in liking this product: it sports 4.4/5 stars on Amazon.
In our opinion, it offers high-end performance for a mid-range price, making it a solid value option.
Our night vision dash cams guide has this model as our #2 pick.
5. Discrete Dual-Cam: BlackVue DR650S-2CH
For those seeking a discrete, low-profile dual-cam option, Reddit recommends the BlackVue DR650S-2CH.
The camera offers high quality recordings, even in low light, and includes a rear-facing camera.
It also has built-in GPS capabilities.
Our Thoughts: Overall, a good camera.
But for the price? No thanks!
The reality is that there are much better cameras in this price range, so if you’re looking for a high-end option and you’re willing to shell out the big bucks, you can do better.
At 3.7/5 stars on Amazon, it’s relatively well-rated, but again – there are better options.
See our hidden dash cam guide for our recommendations.
6. Motion & Collision Detection: VIOFO Compact A119 V2
This dashcam is perfect for forward-facing video recording. It can withstand extreme temperatures which makes it a perfect fit for your vehicle.
VIOFO A119 can capture clear videos of other vehicles on the road.
It automatically captures impact events with its G-sensor and changes camera settings with an LCD screen.
Our Thoughts: The dashcam is easily attached to the windshield using Quick Eject V2 GPS or regular adhesive mount and it can store up to 7 hours of HD video.
Plus it is high heat resistive (heat resistive dash cams has also been our point of interest), very easy to use, records at a higher resolution, overall it has high quality and it has 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
7. Very Reliable With a Reasonable Price: Garmin Dash Cam Mini
The Garmin Dash Cam Mini is a great option.
Its tiny, reliable dash camera automatically records incidents.
This car key-sized dash camera doesn’t take up much space and goes virtually unnoticed on your windshield.
The 140-Degree wide-angle lens catches footage with an amazing resolution. Garmin Dash Cam Mini automatically records and saves videos of incidents.
A built-in Wi-Fi connectivity uploads saved footage to your compatible smartphone running The Garmin Drive app.
Dash Cam auto-sync enables you to control and playback footage from up to four cameras on your smartphone using the app.
Another good thing is its very reasonable price.
Our Thoughts: The Garmin dash mini cam is small and compact with a clear footage and high-quality video which automatically records accidents.
It comes for a good price and it is really easy to use with a 140-degree view and outstanding quality!
We did not include the SpyTech A119 camera or the BlackSys CF-100, both of which were on the original Reddit list. We did not include these because they’ve either been discontinued by the manufacturer or are no longer available from reputable sellers.
If you didn’t quite find what you were looking for, take a look at our guide to the best dashboard cameras overall.
And if You need a specific dashboard camera check our following articles: