Deciding the best food delivery app to work for can be a complicated endeavor.
Uber Eats, Postmates, DoorDash and a slew of others are competing to attract drivers.
But which one is the best?
In order to make the process of finding which food delivery service is the best one for you, we have created the following guide. It is designed to help you navigate the complicated food delivery market by comparing the pros and cons of each app based on real driver reviews.
We start out with the most widely available services before moving into the smaller marketplaces. Please keep in mind that no one service is hands down the best. Each company has their own unique benefits. Once you’ve decided which service to sign up for, we also recommend using an invite code. Using an invite code is a great way to earn a rather large bonus upfront.
Without further ado, here is our detailed comparison of the best food delivery apps for drivers.
Uber, the rideshare service, launched their own food delivery service called Uber Eats in 2014. By letting passengers know about Uber Eats through their main app, the service quickly gained a massive user base. Because of Uber’s proliferation, Uber Eats may be the ideal choice for drivers.
Uber Eats Pros
- If you have the Uber Partner app installed on your phone, you essentially have Uber EATS installed already. To check out the food delivery portion of the app, open the menu and click Uber EATS.
- Some cities actually require customers to pick up orders curbside, meaning drivers do not have to go up to the door. This is a great time saver for drivers.
- To further improve the experience for Uber EATS drivers, Uber recently added an in-app tipping feature. This makes it easy for users to tip their drivers even if they do not have cash on them.
- Zero time requirements are mandated. For drivers, this means that you can work whenever you want to. Simply log into the Uber EATS app and start accepting orders.
Uber Eats Cons
- Although the curbside pickup is time-saving for drivers, it is not convenient for customers. This can result in smaller tips for drivers.
- Out of all the food delivery services, Uber EATS is the only one with vehicle requirements regarding the model year of your car. So if you drive an older vehicle, you might not be eligible.
- Another bummer is how much Uber takes of the profit. Compared to their competitors in the food delivery market, Uber takes a larger cut. On average, 25% of any order goes to Uber whereas most companies take around 20%.
- According to our reviews, Uber EATS drivers make less money than other food delivery drivers in some markets. On average, completing Uber EATS deliveries pays about $10 an hour. This can obviously fluctuate, and if you know what you’re doing, it can be much higher.
Ready to get started driving for DoorDash? Sign up with our exclusive Uber Eats driver referral code to maximize your driver bonus.
Founded in 2011, Postmates is a very respectable delivery service. Postmates is used for all sorts of deliveries, most notably food orders. But they also deliver groceries and other items from stores. Postmates has partnerships with a number of restaurants to offer customers special discounts. This helped grow the customer base, making it a great option for drivers.
- The Postmates app actively encourages customers to tip by auto including the monetary amount in with the bill. Since customers have to go out of their way to remove the added amount, drivers are much more likely to a receive a tip.
- Since Postmates did not start out as a rideshare app, their vehicle requirements are pretty easy to meet.
- Customers can request all sorts of items other than food. For example, customers can order groceries or school supplies or anything in between. Due to this, Postmates has a larger pool of potential customers.
- Automobiles, such as trucks, cars, or vans, are not required to make a delivery. Postmates also allows scooters and bicycles in some areas.
- Great driver referral program to earn extra cash.
- Behind the scenes, drivers are required to contact customers if a restaurant is out of the food that was ordered. This can keep the driver from being on time and reduce the overall number of deliveries completed in one day.
- Drivers are sometimes required to actually place an order at a restaurant when they arrive, then wait there as the order is being prepared.
- In some instances, drivers must pay for the meal via a pre-paid card provided by Postmates. This added layer of responsibility can be irksome.
- Postmates is not available in as many places as Uber EATS.
Ready to get started driving for Postmates? Sign up with our exclusive Postmates driver referral code to maximize your signup bonus.
Doordash is a great option for drivers who are interested in only making food deliveries. Unlike Postmates, DoorDash is strictly food. The perks associated with streamlining the delivery process are passed on to drivers and each one is fairly interesting too.
- Drivers are guaranteed minimum earnings during some timeframes. Most notably during peak times like lunch and weekends.
- Overall, the commission absorbed by DoorDash is lower than some other food delivery services. On average, DoorDash takes about 20% per order.
- Many drivers report earning between $15 and $25 per hour with DoorDash.
- DoorDash allows drivers to pre-schedule shifts, essentially making you on-call during that period. This can be a con if you have commitment issues.
- DoorDash is pretty open in regards to vehicle requirements; bikes and scooters are allowed in some markets.
- DoorDash is only available in select cities. If you are in a smaller market, Uber Eats might be your only option.
- Expedited transfers to your bank account cost $1.25 per transaction. And unlike some services, funds are not received instantly, but next day. Regular transactions are free and usually take around a week.
- Reports from Dashers say that the pre-scheduled shifts can be booked up fairly fast during the busy periods, such as on weekends. This can prevent you from being able to work.
Ready to get started driving for DoorDash? Sign up with our exclusive DoorDash driver promo code to maximize your driver bonus.
As the name implies, Caviar is a high-end delivery service. Caviar focuses on delivering meals from more expensive restaurants that usually don’t offer delivery. Starting this year, Caviar has also started working on meeting the delivery needs of major business caterers.
- Before you even accept an order, drivers are able to see exactly how much money will be earned by completing the delivery.
- Since Caviar works with more expensive restaurants, drivers are typically paid well.
- Caviar offers drivers parking ticket reimbursement! Couriers can be reimbursed for one parking ticket for every 100 deliveries.
- Drivers working as a high-end Caviar courier make about $25 an hour on average.
- Caviar is not well established, yet. To-date, this food delivery app has a very limited delivery area and is not available in many large cities.
- Couriers have reported that many restaurants use the service. So even if you are able to be a Caviar driver, there may not be any deliveries to make.
GrubHub started as an online alternative to paper restaurant menus. It has since evolved into one of the largest online ordering platforms in the world. The company has leveraged it’s size to step into the delivery space. Since this move, they have acquired numerous companies including Seamless, Foodler, and Eat24.
- GrubHub has a large customer base due to its original business model which did not include delivery.
- Drivers can schedule their own working blocks. This makes it easy for drivers to maintain a balance between work and play.
- GrubHub has an upfront payment structure. Drivers earn $3.25 for every delivery, plus a nice bonus of $0.50 per mile covered to complete the order.
- In some areas, GrubHub even offers an hourly minimum wage. Drivers must accept at least 90% orders to be eligible. Those that meet this stipulation will be paid at least $10 an hour, even if you don’t receive a single order that hour.
- Reviews say the app can be somewhat glitchy. This can cause your order acceptance rate to drop even though you never turned down an order.
- Many restaurants on GrubHub have their own in-house delivery drivers.
Also known as Groupon-To-Go, OrderUp initially started out in Pennsylvania. Over the past decade, OrderUp has expanded to approximately 37 different markets and about 60 cities across the United States. In 2015 OrderUp was acquired by Groupon, which expanded their reach.
- Since Groupon has a very large customer base there is a high probability that OrderUp will be expanding their customer base pretty fast.
- Groupon has many established relationships with other businesses. Using these connections, Groupon can use the deals and discounts it already has going to further help OrderUp grow.
- Unfortunately, there are not that many reviews online from OrderUp drivers. If you have any information about what it is like to be an OrderUp aka Groupon-To-Go driver, please let us know. There are several curious drivers that would love to hear your story.
- Drivers are required to purchase OrderUp and wear branded clothing of some kind. Even though this is tax-deductible, having to buy corporate clothing can be off-putting.
- A $75 car topper with the OrderUp logo on it must be purchased. If returned, only $50 is reimbursed.
- Of the reports we have read thus far from OrderUp drivers, couriers are reporting low wages. Average hourly appears to be less than $10 an hour.
- Since OrderUp is not well established, the food delivery service is only available in the following areas.
- Irvine, CA
- Goleta, CA
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Isla Vista, CA
- Greeley, CO
- Loveland, CO
- Fort Collins, CO
- West Lafayette, IN
- Lafayette, IN
- Columbia, MO
- Norman, OK
- Moore, OK
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Stillwater, OK
- Eugene, OR
- Chesapeake, VA
- Norfolk, VA
- Virginia Beach, VA
Looking to see which delivery service is right for you? Read our detailed comparisons of the big 3 delivery services:
All food delivery services have their pros and cons. Depending on your location and what you are looking for, one service may be supremely better for you than another.
Bear in mind, you do not have to limit yourself to one food delivery service.
But new drivers should focus on getting familiar with one service before branching out. This will help you prepare for the stress (and rewards) associated with juggling multiple food delivery service apps.
And whatever you do, make sure to take advantage of lucrative driver sign up bonuses. These bonuses are a great way to earn some extra cash on top of your usual earnings.
One great way to use these referral codes is to try each app and collect the bonuses on the way. This is the best way to maximize your earnings in the shortest amount of time. Just make sure you meet the minimum requirements to ensure you get your guaranteed earnings.