Deciding on the best food delivery app to work for can be a complicated endeavor.
Uber Eats, Postmates, DoorDash and a slew of others are competing to attract drivers, all while expanding their customer bases with the promises of convenient features like real-time order tracking and in-app payments via credit card.
But with so many different apps, how are you supposed to know which one is best?
We have created the following guide to make it easy to find out which food delivery service is the best one for you. It is designed to help you navigate the complicated food delivery market by comparing the pros and cons of each app based on real driver reviews.
We start out with the services that are most widely available across major cities before moving into the smaller marketplaces. Please keep in mind that no service is hands-down the best.
Each company has their own unique benefits. Once you’ve decided which service to sign up for, we also recommend using an invite code. Using an invite code is a great way to earn a rather large bonus up front.
Without further ado, here is our detailed comparison of the best food delivery apps for drivers. Unless otherwise noted, all the apps below are available for both Android and Apple iPhone/iOS.
Uber, the rideshare service, launched their own food delivery service called Uber Eats in 2014. By letting passengers know about Uber Eats through their main app, the service quickly gained a massive user base. Because of Uber’s proliferation, Uber Eats may be the ideal choice for drivers.
Uber Eats Pros
- If you have the Uber Partner app installed on your phone, you essentially have Uber Eats installed already. To check out the food delivery portion of the app, open the menu and click Uber Eats.
- Some cities actually require customers to pick up orders curbside, meaning drivers do not have to go up to the door. This is a great time-saver for drivers.
- To further improve the experience for Uber Eats drivers, Uber recently added an in-app tipping feature. This makes it easy for users to tip their drivers, even if they do not have cash on them.
- Zero time requirements are mandated. For drivers, this means that you can work whenever you want to. Simply log into the Uber Eats app and start accepting orders.
- Because Uber already has such a large reach, Uber Eats has delivery locations available in most U.S. cities and many other cities around the world. This means that you have a larger potential customer base (and more earning potential).
Uber Eats Cons
- Although the curbside pickup is time-saving for drivers, it is not convenient for customers. This can result in smaller tips for drivers.
- Out of all the food delivery services, Uber Eats is the only one with vehicle requirements regarding the model year of your car. So if you drive an older vehicle, you might not be eligible.
- Another bummer is how much Uber takes of the profit. Compared to their competitors in the food delivery market, Uber charges a larger service fee. On average, 25 percent of the order’s delivery fee goes to Uber, whereas most companies take around 20 percent.
- According to our reviews, Uber Eats drivers make less money than other food delivery drivers in some markets. On average, completing Uber Eats deliveries pays about $10 an hour. This can obviously fluctuate, and if you know what you’re doing, it can be much higher.
- How Does Uber Eats Work for Drivers: Everything You Need To Know
- How Much Do Uber Eats Drivers Make?
- Uber Eats Driver Referral Code – Guarantee For New Delivery Partners
Founded in 2011, Postmates is a very respectable delivery service. Postmates is used for all sorts of deliveries, most notably food orders. But they also deliver groceries and other items from stores.
Postmates has partnerships with a number of local restaurants to offer customers special discounts. This helped grow the customer base, making it a great option for drivers.
- The Postmates app actively encourages customers to tip by automatically including the monetary amount with the bill. Since customers have to go out of their way to remove the added amount, drivers are much more likely to receive a tip.
- Since Postmates did not start out as a rideshare app, their vehicle requirements are pretty easy to meet.
- Customers can request all sorts of items other than food. For example, customers can order groceries, school supplies, or anything in between. Due to this, Postmates has a larger pool of potential customers.
- You don’t need an automobile, such as a truck, car, or van, to be a delivery driver. Postmates also allows scooters and bicycles in some areas.
- They have a great driver referral program to earn extra cash.
- Behind the scenes, drivers are required to contact customers if a restaurant is out of the food that was ordered. This can keep the driver from being on time and reduce the overall number of deliveries completed in one day.
- Drivers are sometimes required to actually place an order at a restaurant when they arrive, then wait there as the order is being prepared.
- In some instances, drivers must pay for the meal via a prepaid card provided by Postmates. This added layer of responsibility can be irksome.
- Postmates is not available in as many places as Uber Eats.
- Postmates Driver Referral Code: Claim Your Bonus
- Postmates vs. Uber Eats – Who Wins?
- How Much Do Postmates Drivers Make?
Doordash is a great option for drivers who are interested in only making food deliveries. Unlike Postmates, DoorDash is strictly food. The perks associated with streamlining the delivery process are passed on to drivers and each one is fairly interesting, too.
- Drivers are guaranteed minimum earnings during some timeframes, most notably during peak times like lunch and weekends.
- Overall, the commission absorbed by DoorDash is lower than some other food delivery services. On average, DoorDash takes about 20 percent per order.
- Many drivers report earning between $15 and $25 per hour with DoorDash.
- DoorDash allows drivers to pre-schedule shifts, essentially making you on-call during that period. This can be a con if you have commitment issues.
- DoorDash is pretty open in regards to vehicle requirements; bikes and scooters are allowed in some markets.
- DoorDash is only available in select cities. If you are in a smaller market, Uber Eats might be your only option.
- Expedited transfers to your bank account cost $1.25 per transaction. And unlike some services, funds are not received instantly, but the next day. Regular transactions are free and usually take around a week.
- Reports from Dashers say that the pre-scheduled shifts can be booked up fairly fast during the busy periods, such as on weekends. This can prevent you from being able to work.
- 5 Mistakes That Could Prevent You From Claiming Your DoorDash Sign up Bonus
- How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make?
As the name implies, Caviar is a high-end delivery service. Caviar focuses on providing on-demand delivery from the best restaurants (which usually don’t offer delivery). Caviar has also started working on meeting the delivery needs of major business caterers.
- Before you even accept an order, drivers are able to see exactly how much money will be earned by completing the delivery.
- Since Caviar works with more expensive restaurants, drivers are typically paid well.
- Caviar offers drivers parking ticket reimbursement! Couriers can be reimbursed for one parking ticket for every 100 deliveries.
- Caviar couriers make about $25 an hour on average.
- Caviar is not well-established (yet). To date, this food delivery app has a very limited delivery area, focusing mostly on wealthier markets like New York City, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. Meanwhile, prominent markets like Denver and Atlanta are still missing from the service (though that will likely change as Caviar continues to expand).
- Couriers have reported that not many restaurants use the service. So even if you are able to be a Caviar driver, there may not be any deliveries to make.
Grubhub started as an online alternative to paper restaurant menus. It has since evolved into one of the largest online ordering platforms in the world. The company has leveraged its size to step into the delivery space. Since this move, they have acquired numerous companies including Seamless, Foodler, and Eat24.
- The Grubhub app has a large customer base due to its original business model, which did not include delivery.
- Drivers can schedule their own working blocks. This makes it easy for drivers to maintain a balance between work and life.
- Grubhub has an upfront payment structure. Drivers earn $3.25 for every delivery, plus a nice bonus of $0.50 per mile covered to complete the order.
- In some areas, Grubhub even offers an hourly minimum wage. Drivers must accept at least 90 percent of orders to be eligible. Those that meet this stipulation will be paid at least $10 an hour, even if you don’t receive a single order that hour.
- Reviews say the app can be somewhat glitchy. This can cause your order acceptance rate to drop even though you never turned down an order.
- Many restaurants on Grubhub have their own in-house delivery drivers, leaving less opportunity for independent contractor drivers to serve those who order food.
Looking to see which delivery service is right for you? Read our detailed comparisons of the big 3 delivery services:
The Best Food Delivery Apps: Our Take
All food delivery services have their pros and cons. Depending on your location and what you are looking for, one service may be supremely better for you than another.
Bear in mind, you do not have to limit yourself to one food delivery service.
But new drivers should focus on getting familiar with one service before branching out. This will help you prepare for the stress (and rewards) associated with juggling multiple food delivery service apps.
Drivers who are just starting out should consider going with one of the more established food delivery services. We suggest starting with one of the big three companies: Uber Eats, DoorDash, or Postmates.
And whatever you do, make sure to take advantage of lucrative driver sign-up bonuses. Many people know that customers can get free delivery on their first orders from these services, but there are also sizeable bonuses available for new drivers. These bonuses are a great way to earn some extra cash on top of your usual earnings.
One great way to use these referral codes is to try each app and collect the bonuses on the way. This is the best way to maximize your earnings in the shortest amount of time. Just make sure you meet the minimum requirements to ensure you get your guaranteed earnings.
Finally, no matter what food delivery app you choose, never forget the value of excellent customer service. Customers will appreciate it if you keep the delivery time for each order low, meet any reasonable requests they have, and give them polite service.