- The GasBuddy card links to your bank account, offering savings up to 40 cents per gallon.
- Use is restricted to participating gas stations, excluding some like Costco and Walmart.
- The card is free, but a premium version offers extra savings and roadside assistance.
- Savings range from 2 cents to 40 cents per gallon, with additional discounts available.
- What is a GasBuddy Card?
- Is a GasBuddy Card Worth It?
- How to Get a GasBuddy Card
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
What is a GasBuddy Card?
The GasBuddy Card is a tool that links to your bank account, functioning similarly to a debit card, and is designed to offer savings on gas purchases.
It is part of Gas Buddy’s “Pay With Gas Buddy” program, which collaborates with gas stations nationwide to provide discounts.
When used with the Gas Buddy app, it can save users up to 40 cents per gallon at participating stations.
Discounts are applied after the transaction and are reflected on the user’s bank statement within 1-3 business days, with an average saving of 5 to 15 cents per gallon.
The card also allows for additional savings when combined with other loyalty programs, and users are notified of special deals via the app.
Related: The best ways to get free gas
Does a GasBuddy Card Cost Anything?
The GasBuddy Card and its basic account are free, including the app. Users might incur service or overdraft fees if there are issues with transactions.
GasBuddy also offers a Premium service for $10 a month, which includes extra savings and limited roadside assistance through a partnership with Allstate, similar to services like AAA.
Is a GasBuddy Card Worth It?
The GasBuddy Card offers both advantages and drawbacks.
Its benefits include savings at every participating gas station, additional discounts, free unlimited usage upon signup, and a wide network of participating stations.
However, it has some cons, such as unresponsive customer service, occasional app glitches, possible service charges for unsuccessful transactions, and a $75 daily spending limit.
While the service is relatively new and may have some operational issues, the potential savings on gas can outweigh these inconveniences for many users.
The main concern lies with customer service; resolving issues can be difficult due to slow response times.
Brett’s Take: Thoughts From an Expert
You can potentially stack savings from the GasBuddy card with other fuel rewards programs.
I’ve known people that have stacked their GasBuddy card savings with loyalty points from specific gas stations or cashback from other rewards credit cards (though you’ll use the GasBuddy card for the transaction itself).
While card users who don’t fill up more than once or twice per month, the card might help save you a little, but probably isn’t worth it.
But for those who drive frequently or fill up large vehicles, the savings can be significant.
I suggest giving it a try and seeing what you save. Because it doesn’t impact your credit, there really isn’t a huge downside to at least giving it a try.
How to Get a GasBuddy Card
If you’re interested in saving on gas and think the GasBuddy card is right for you, here’s how to get one:
Step 1: Sign Up Online
- Visit the GasBuddy Website: The application process begins on the GasBuddy website. It’s straightforward and quick.
- Fill Out the Application Form: You’ll need to provide some personal details, including your valid driver’s license number and your address. The form is simple and takes only a few minutes to complete.
Step 2: Automatic Approval and Card Delivery
- Automatic Approval: After submitting the form, your application will be automatically approved.
- Card Delivery: Your GasBuddy card will then be mailed to you. Wait for it to arrive before moving on to the next step.
Step 3: Activate Your Card
- Download the GasBuddy App: If you haven’t already, download the GasBuddy app from your device’s app store.
- Activate the Card: Follow the instructions in the GasBuddy app to activate your new card. This process includes linking your bank account to the card. Without your bank account information, the card cannot access funds for gas purchases.
Step 4: Set Up Your Driver ID
- Receive Your Driver ID: Upon activation, GasBuddy will provide you with a “Driver ID.”
- Using Your Driver ID: This ID acts as your PIN at the pump, allowing you to use your GasBuddy card for gas purchases.
Step 5: Understand the Limits
Daily Limit: Be aware that there is a $75 daily spending limit on your GasBuddy card purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does it still work if you forget your card?
No, Pay with GasBuddy requires the physical card to be present for use; without it, the system cannot be utilized. It’s essential to keep the card in your wallet to ensure availability while driving.
Does GasBuddy check your credit?
GasBuddy does not perform credit checks for issuing its cards, as the GasBuddy card functions more like a debit card by drawing funds directly from your account, not affecting your credit score.
Do you have to activate your GasBuddy card?
Yes, you need to activate your GasBuddy card, but not via phone. Activation requires downloading the GasBuddy app, signing into your account, and adding your bank information.
With a GasBuddy card, you’ll be able to save money no matter where you are in the country. If you upgrade to a GasBuddy Premium account, you have the added option of roadside assistance.
If you’re willing to deal with a few bugs, this app will save you hundreds of dollars every year and allow you to travel without straining your wallet too much.