The world has changed drastically in the past few years.
People are using grocery delivery services and curbside pickup programs more than ever before.
You’ve probably been wondering which stores near you offer curbside grocery pickup.
We’ve compiled a list here of the most popular grocery store pickup programs, along with some information on each one. Read this before you place your next order!
Table Of Contents
Grocery Stores With Curbside Pickup
These stores offer a grocery pickup program that makes shopping more convenient.
Safeway Grocery Pickup
Safeway was founded in 1915 and has grown to be a large national chain.
Located mainly in the western United States, there are almost a thousand Safeway stores.
Safeway’s curbside program is called DriveUp & Go.
You will place your order online.
Associates load your groceries into your car for you.
DriveUp & Go is available in select locations.
Not all stores offer this service.
Find your location to determine if you can order curbside grocery pickup!
- Fee for Pickup: There is no fee for DriveUp & Go, as long as you meet a minimum $30 order.
- Minimum Order Amount: All Safeway online orders have a $30 minimum order amount.
- Rewards Program: Safeway for U is Safeway’s member rewards program. By combining curbside pickup with your Safeway for U account, you can earn more points towards savings and free items.
- Can I Use Curbside Grocery Pickup Without a Car? The current Safeway DriveUp & Go promo code is SAVE30. With this coupon, you will get $30 off of your first pickup order of $75 or more. You must be a new customer to use this discount.
Safeway also has a FreshPass delivery subscription program that provides free delivery on your grocery orders. FreshPass has an annual fee.
You can also apply Safeway for U savings and coupons to your DriveUp & Go curbside pickup order.
Kroger Grocery Pickup
Kroger is a popular grocery store located in 35 states across the country.
They’ve recently made headlines for their innovative online-only delivery service in the state of Florida.
Kroger is actually the leading supermarket chain in the United States, based on 2020 data.
Kroger offers curbside grocery pickup, formerly known as ClickList.
- Fee for Pickup: Pickup is free for all orders over $35. Orders under this amount will be charged $4.95.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum curbside order amount, but we suggest ordering more than $35 worth of groceries to avoid paying a fee.
- Rewards Program: With Kroger Plus, a free membership program, you can earn fuel points for every dollar spent. You also get digital coupons and other savings for your Kroger trips. You can also upgrade to the paid Boost program to receive free delivery.
- Coupons/Promotions: Customers can combine Kroger Pickup with digital coupons, weekly deals, and more. There are promotions throughout the year, such as 5X Digital Coupons that provide even larger savings.
Read More: Kroger delivery and how it works
Walmart Grocery Pickup
Walmart is the top grocery retailer in the United States.
You would be hard-pressed to find one person who does not know the retail giant’s name.
It’s easy to order pickup or delivery on the web or through Walmart’s app and the Walmart+ membership program.
- Fee for Pickup: Walmart always offers free curbside pickup, but orders must meet a minimum amount.
- Minimum Order Amount: All Walmart Grocery orders must be at least $30.
- Rewards Program: Walmart does not have a rewards program, but Walmart+ members enjoy free delivery. There are advantages to using Walmart’s free grocery pickup, like the fact that Walmart does not markup its online prices.
- Coupons/Promotions: Walmart offers “Print and Save” coupons on its website. These can be located under the “Services” tab by clicking on “Get Inspired.” Choose your local store, and select “Coupons” to save!
Amazon Grocery Pickup
Amazon is the king of online commerce.
Almost anything you can think of can be delivered to your door through this handy app.
Amazon has even gotten into the grocery business, with Amazon Fresh and a partnership with Whole Foods.
Typically, Amazon offers grocery delivery, but you can pick up your grocery order at your participating Whole Foods in certain markets.
- Fee for Pickup: There is no fee as long as your curbside order is over $35. Plus, there’s the added convenience of a one-hour pickup time.
- Minimum Order Amount: The minimum for Amazon Whole Foods Curbside Pickup is $35.
- Rewards Program: Whole Foods ended their rewards program, but you can use your Amazon Prime benefits on your order.
- Coupons/Promotions: There are often promo codes available that you can apply to your order to save certain dollar amounts.
Albertsons Grocery Pickup
Albertsons is the second-largest grocery chain next to Kroger.
The behemoth brand actually owns Safeway.
Like Safeway, Albertsons offers grocery delivery and curbside pickup, called DriveUp & Go.
The brand employs a Personal Shopper to fill your order for you.
- Fee for Pickup: A service fee applies for orders under $30. Otherwise, curbside pickup is free.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum order; however, to waive any fees, the total must be at least $30.
- Rewards Program: The Albertsons for U rewards program provides additional savings. You also get a free item during your birthday month!
- Coupons/Promotions: Promo codes and coupons are available on Albertson’s website!
DoorDash Albertson’s: How It Works, Pricing, Cost & More
Giant Eagle Grocery Pickup
Giant Eagle is a popular grocery store found mainly in the Northeastern United States.
Founded in Pennsylvania, Giant Eagle stores are located in five states.
Giant Eagle offers grocery pickup and delivery.
Some of the stores are designated curbside pickup centers with no in-store shopping available to the public.
- Fee for Pickup: Giant Eagle Curbside Pickup orders are free.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is a $35 minimum total on all Giant Eagle orders.
- Rewards Program: Giant Eagle has a rewards program called the Advantage Card. It offers savings and promotions as well as Fuelperks.
- Coupons/Promotions: You may use coupons on your order. Giant Eagle asks that you inform the associate when you arrive to pick up your order.
H-E-B Grocery Pickup
H-E-B is a large company with over 100,000 employees.
However, the stores are only located in the state of Texas and in Mexico.
Customers can shop online and order curbside pickup through the My H-E-B app.
- Fee for Pickup: There is no fee for H-E-B pickup service.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum order amount.
- Rewards Program: H-E-B uses a rewards card called Points Club Rewards. The purchases you make with the curbside pickup option count towards your points.
- Coupons/Promotions: H-E-B will only accept digital coupons on curbside orders through the My H-E-B app. You cannot use in-store or manufacturer coupons.
Instacart Grocery Pickup
Instacart has become a household name.
The service usually offers home delivery, but Instacart also partners with stores in select locations to provide a curbside pickup option.
Instacart works with many retailers, from local markets to giant chains like Best Buy.
- Fee for Pickup: Instacart Express members pay $149 per year to access free pickup and delivery over $30. The non-member fee for curbside varies by retailer. It ranges from free to $4.99.
- Minimum Order Amount: The minimum order is $30.
- Rewards Program: Rewards programs through Instacart vary by retailer. Some stores allow you to use your rewards membership when you order through Instacart.
- Coupons/Promotions: There are often promo codes available for Instacart! These allow free delivery for non-members or new members, as well as dollar amounts off of your grocery order. The codes are usually available for new customers.
Editor’s Choice: Check out the Instacart promo code coronavirus promotions that the company is currently offering customers.
Aldi Grocery Pickup
Aldi is a German-owned grocery chain that is growing in popularity across the United States.
Known for its inexpensive in-house brands, Aldi provides a unique shopping experience.
Aldi stores provide delivery and curbside pickup powered by Instacart.
- Fee for Pickup: Because Instacart manages Aldi pickup, the fees are handled on that platform. There is a service fee of $1.99 for curbside orders. Pickup orders over $35 are free for Instacart Express members. Non-members may pay a $3.99 pickup fee.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is a $35 order minimum at Aldi stores. Smaller orders may be subject to higher fees.
- Rewards Program: Aldi does not have a rewards program because the company model is based around already providing the lowest prices on household essentials.
- Coupons/Promotions: Any coupons or promotions available to Instacart customers can be used on Aldi orders.
Food Lion Grocery Pickup
Food Lion is a chain found in ten states in the Eastern United States.
Food Lion ToGo gives you the option of delivery or pickup for your grocery order.
- Fee for Pickup: The pickup fee for Food Lion ToGo is $1.99. However, for orders under $35, it jumps to $3.99.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum order amount, but the pickup fee is smaller for orders over $35.
- Rewards Program: Food Lion allows you to connect your MVP Rewards card to your online account. Through this, you can earn points and redeem coupons on your curbside pickup orders.
- Coupons/Promotions: Food Lion runs a promotion that waives your pickup or delivery fee on your first order over $35. This provides a financial incentive to try out their service! Other coupons and promos are available on the Food Lion website or around the web.
Harris Teeter Grocery Pickup
Harris Teeter is a high-end grocery store.
The chain has 243 locations across seven states, mainly in the southeast.
HarrisTeeter’s ExpressLane service was one of the pioneers in grocery pickup services.
- Fee for Pickup: Orders over $100 do not have a service fee, while orders over $50 have a $2.95 fee. Orders under $50 require a $4.95 service fee.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is a minimum order amount of $25.
- Rewards Program: Harris Teeter customers enjoy the benefits of the e-VIC rewards program. These benefits can be applied to your ExpressLane purchases. Additionally, monthly and yearly subscriptions are available that waive all service fees on the curbside and home delivery orders. Subscribers also receive special deals not available to other customers.
- Coupons/Promotions: Coupons are available to e-VIC members and non-members on the Harris Teeter website.
Meijer Grocery Pickup
Meijer is a midwestern supercenter known for giving its customers the convenience of a large retailer with small-town prices.
It is ranked one of the cheapest grocery stores, just behind Aldi and Walmart.
Meijer utilizes personal shoppers to meet your grocery needs.
- Fee for Pickup: Curbside pickup is free at Meijer. A $4.95 fee applies when the order fails to meet the minimum threshold.
- Minimum Order Amount: You can place orders under the $35 minimum, but they will be subject to a service fee.
- Rewards Program: Meijer’s popular mPerks rewards program allows shoppers to earn points on their purchases that can then be redeemed for dollar amounts off of future orders. Curbside purchases automatically qualify to earn or redeem mPerks rewards.
- Coupons/Promotions: You can clip digital coupons and apply them to your cart when you place a curbside pickup order with Meijer. However, you cannot use paper coupons when you pick up your groceries curbside.
ShopRite Grocery Pickup
ShopRite stores are located in the Northeastern United States.
You can visit ShopRite in just six states, but there are more than 300 locations.
ShopRite From Home is a program that gives shoppers the convenience of online ordering.
- Fee for Pickup: The fee for ShopRite’s personal shopper program varies by store, but $4.99 is the most common service fee.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum order amount.
- Rewards Program: ShopRite’s rewards program is a membership card. Members of the Price Plus Club earn and redeem points on their curbside orders.
- Coupons/Promotions: ShopRite’s prices change every Sunday with the release of their weekly circular. You will find lower prices on the items that you need, along with digital coupons and promotions that you can add to your order.
Target Grocery Pickup
Target is a giant retailer that is a household name in most areas of the United States.
Select locations are “Super Targets” which have a grocery section.
These stores usually provide curbside pickup.
- Fee for Pickup: Target Drive Up is a completely free service. In addition to no service fee, Target also does not markup its prices.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is no minimum order amount.
- Rewards Program: Target Circle allows you to earn points on your purchases. You can then apply a dollar amount off of future orders.
- Coupons/Promotions: The Target app features offers and promotions that you can add to your orders to save money. You can earn gift cards, Target Circle points, Buy One Get One Free items, and more.
Wegmans Grocery Pickup
Wegmans is a small-but-mighty grocery chain available in seven states throughout the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
Wegmans partners with Instacart to provide curbside pickup and home delivery services.
All the information you need is below.
- Fee for Pickup: There is no service fee for pickup at Wegmans, but the online prices are slightly higher than in-store prices.
- Minimum Order Amount: There is a $10 minimum order.
- Rewards Program: Wegmans has a free Shopper’s Club membership.
- Coupons/Promotions: Some in-store promotions are not available because of the partnership with Instacart. However, Wegmans has unique promotions reserved for online shoppers.
Whole Foods Grocery Pickup
Whole Foods is a large grocery store that markets itself as a health food haven.
Amazon has purchased Whole Foods, and Amazon Prime now manages its curbside pickup and delivery programs.
To order curbside groceries from Whole Foods, you must order through the Amazon website.
- Fee for Pickup: Prime members enjoy free curbside pickup at Whole Foods.
- Minimum Order Amount: The order minimum is $35.
- Rewards Program: There is no Whole Foods rewards program, but Prime benefits will apply to your order.
- Coupons/Promotions: For savings on Whole Foods Prime orders, promo codes are sometimes available on the web.
What Is the Best Grocery Store Pickup?
Based on the data we have collected, Target is the best grocery pickup option.
Target does not charge a service fee or markup its prices in the Target app.
It is completely free to have your order hand-selected for you and brought to your car.
While Target tends to have higher prices than other grocery stores, the trade-off is great service and a terrific rewards program.
Target Circle provides a financial incentive to shop with the company for all of your needs and earn cashback on your orders.
However, the best curbside pickup option for you will depend on the region you live in and what stores are available.
If you are looking for a low-cost grocer that provides an easy and convenient pickup option, Aldi has the lowest prices in the country.
You can save time and money by shopping with Aldi.
For shoppers who want a personalized, comprehensive rewards program, curbside pickup with Safeway or Albertsons may be the best option.
Safeway for U and Albertsons for U are both highly-rated shopper rewards programs.
Do You Tip on Curbside Grocery Pickup Orders?
The answer to this question depends on the retailer. In general, yes.
If you have the option to tip, you should definitely tip.
Some grocery stores do not allow tipping on pickup orders.
Should You Tip? Why?
In some cases, a store will request that you do not tip the associate that brings your order to your car.
These are personal shoppers employed by the store at an hourly rate that may be higher than a delivery driver or independent contractor.
However, when given the option to tip in person or online, you should tip your curbside delivery associate.
Typically, these workers make a lower hourly wage and depend on tips.
For stores that partner with services like Instacart, the workers who shop your order are heavily dependent on tips.
How Much to Tip When Picking Up Groceries
Just like other services provided to you, your tip should be dependent on the total cost of your order.
An acceptable tip range is usually 10-20% of your total.
Of course, higher is always better!
How Does Curbside Pickup Work?
The majority of curbside pickup services work the same way:
- You visit the website or app for your local grocery store.
- Reserve a time to pick up your order.
- Select the items that you want and need.
- In some cases, select substitutions in case your items are out of stock.
- Pay online and receive confirmation.
- Pull into a designated space at the grocery store at your order time.
- Check-in on the app, text or call a designated phone number, or follow the instructions for receiving your order.
- An associate brings your order out and loads it into your car.
Can I Use Curbside Grocery Pickup Without a Car?
While it seems counterintuitive, there are many reasons why you may want to use curbside pickup without a car.
Whether you are a cyclist or a pedestrian, the convenience of skipping the crowds and long lines is the same.
If you use curbside pickup without a car, the associate will hand the order directly to you outside.
Curbside grocery pickup is a convenient way of getting your essentials without ever stepping foot into a store.
Many retailers offer this option, and many more will follow suit as the world becomes more dependent on digital technology.
We hope that this guide to grocery stores that provide curbside pickup will help you the next time you need to stock up your pantry.
Now, you can order your groceries with confidence, knowing exactly how this process works for your favorite grocery store.
Whether you need last-minute dinner ingredients or you’re running low on cookies and milk, pull out your phone and take advantage of this time and energy-saving process today!