Have you ever been sitting at home, too tired to cook after work and wishing you could have your favorite food delivered to you? Well, we live in the future, so you can do just that. The intersection of mobile technologies and new business ventures has made it possible to have food delivered to your home, office, or basically anywhere with an internet connection at the touch of a button.
One of the major players to enter this food delivery market is Uber. After their success with the Uber ridesharing service, they’ve expanded into on-demand food delivery with an app called Uber Eats. But how does Uber Eats work?
In this post, we’re going to show you how this service works, how to place orders, and then provide you with a money-saving coupon code that’ll grant you free credit on your order.
Let’s jump right in.
What Is Uber Eats?
Uber Eats wasn’t the first player to enter the on-demand mobile food delivery market, but this food delivery service has certainly gained wide acceptance since it first launched in 2014. Uber Eats is a food delivery app that works mainly the same as the Uber app.
You sign up for an account, open the app, and are presented with a list of local restaurants that have partnered with Uber Eats. From there, you can view menus, select what you want, and place your order for whatever mouthwatering item is calling your name. Your delivery driver then picks up the food from the restaurant and delivers it to you. Just like Uber or Lyft, all payment is handled through the app; there’s no exchange of cash required.
How Does Uber Eats Work?
So how does Uber Eats work? Now that you know what Uber Eats is, let’s move to the part you’ve been waiting for: placing your first order.
Placing an order is easy. All you need is a smart phone and an internet connection.
Placing Your First Order
To order with Uber Eats, follow these steps:
- Download the Uber Eats app. It’s available for both Android and iPhone.
- Enter your address. Uber Eats needs this information to show you which restaurants are available for delivery in your area.
- Add your payment info. You can pay with any credit or debit card, just like with the regular Uber app.
- Browse restaurants. Scroll through the feed to see available restaurants. You can search for a particular restaurant or filter by cuisine, distance, and price.
- Choose your food. Once you select a restaurant, you’ll be able to browse a list of the menu items they have available to deliver. Tap on an item to select and add it to your cart.
- Finalize your order. When you’ve added all the items you want to your cart, you’re ready to finalize your order. At this point, you’ll see all applicable taxes, the booking fee, and an estimated delivery time. Assuming everything looks good, tap “Place Order.”
- Track your order’s progress. Now comes the fun part. The Uber Eats app will allow you to see the status of your order in real time. First, you’ll get notified when the restaurant receives and begins to prepare your order. Next, you’ll see when the delivery partner is on their way to pick the order up. Once the partner has picked up your order, you can monitor their progress all the way to your door.
- Receive your order. You’ll get a notification when your food is arriving. You can wait for the delivery person to bring it to your door, or go outside to collect it — whatever you prefer.
- Enjoy (and leave a tip). Now all that’s left is to chow down! You can also leave a tip if you would like. We recommend doing this, as it helps delivery partners cover their expenses (not to mention showing appreciation for great service).
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we’ve answered “How does Uber Eats work,” here are answers to some other common questions about the Uber Eats service and app.
Is Uber Eats available in my city?
First available in Los Angeles, Uber Eats delivery quickly expanded to Chicago, Houston, and San Francisco. Now, the service is available in most major United States cities and a variety of other cities across the world. Here are some of the cities where Uber Eats currently operates:
- Austin, United States
- Hyderabad, India
- London, United Kingdom
- Mexico City, Mexico
- New York City
- Paris, France
- San Diego, United States
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Seattle, United States
- Seoul, South Korea
- Singapore, Singapore
- Sydney, Australia
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Tokyo, Japan
- Toronto, Canada
To learn more and find out if Uber Eats is available in your city, check out this post.
Is Uber Eats part of the Uber app?
You can’t use the regular Uber app to order food from Uber Eats. Uber Eats is a distinct service with a separate app.
What is the average delivery time?
When you go to place your order, Uber Eats will display an estimated delivery time. Once you place your order, you’ll be able to track your driver’s progress in real time, receiving notifications when they’ve picked the food up from the restaurant and when they’re on their way.
The delivery time can vary due to a variety of factors, including the time of day (demand is greater during the lunch rush, evenings and weekends), number of available drivers, and the popularity of the restaurant.
How much does delivery cost?
In the quest to answer “How does Uber Eats work,” the delivery fee is a main concern.
For each order that you place from Uber Eats, you’ll pay for the cost of the food, a delivery fee, and any applicable taxes. The delivery fee is usually a few dollars.
Note also that it’s up to the restaurant to set the cost of the food; this cost may differ from what you would pay if you were dining at the restaurant. Similar to Uber surge pricing, you may also pay an additional fee if you’re ordering in a busy area.
However, it is possible to get a discount on your order. When you sign up using the promo code EATSYUM7, you’ll receive $5 off each of your first two orders (must be a new user to qualify).
Download the app to get started:
When is Uber Eats available?
Uber Eats delivery is available whenever the participating restaurants are open. In some cases, this can mean that 24-hour delivery is available, though you should check the delivery hours of the individual restaurants within the Uber Eats app to verify the exact delivery hours.
Can I pay in cash?
Uber Eats is designed to be a cashless experience. All payments occur within the app using the card you have on file. The only exception is when it comes to tipping: Cash tips are always appreciated (though you can also tip from within the app if you prefer).
How do I become an Uber Eats driver?
Delivering food is a way for regular Uber drivers to supplement the income they earn from Uber rides. In addition to your car, in some cities you can also deliver food using a bike or scooter, meaning that Uber Eats can present work opportunities for people who don’t have access to a car.
To become an Uber Eats driver, you’ll need to download the Uber Eats Driver app, pass a background check, and meet certain requirements. To learn more, check out our comprehensive Uber Eats driver guide.
What restaurants does Uber Eats deliver?
Uber Eats has a variety of restaurant delivery partners. The exact restaurants that the service delivers vary based on your city. Generally, the restaurants are a mix of chains and local favorites. To see which restaurants are available for delivery in your city, check the app.
What are alternatives to Uber Eats?
While Uber Eats is a convenient app, it’s not the only option you have for getting food delivered to your door. Here are some popular alternatives to Uber Eats:
The above options may or may not be available in your city. Check out the linked guide for each to find out more.
We hope this article has answered “How does Uber Eats work” and given you an understanding of the app. And remember, to get $5 off of your first two orders, sign up using the promo code EATSYUM7.Note: There is a rating embedded within this post, please visit this post to rate it.