List Of Ridesharing Companies
You’ve probably heard of Uber and Lyft.
However, many other ridesharing platforms exist that you may not have heard of before.
There are several reasons why you might want to use a different company than the two giants.
Perhaps another company fits your budget better or it offers more options in general.
In this article, you’ll discover a list of ridesharing companies that provide popular alternatives to Uber and Lyft.
What is a Rideshare Company?
A rideshare company uses an app on your phone to connect with a driver who provides transportation for you.
Using the phone app, customers can enter their location and request a driver.
Typically, customers can see how long they’ll have to wait for a car before one gets assigned to pick them up.
They can also see if enough drivers are in the area.
After placing an order for the ride, the customer can track their car as they wait to get picked up.
The customer pays through the app and the driver gets paid directly through the app as well.
A rideshare driver is typically an everyday person or someone who works part-time as a driver for each service.
However, some companies hire professional drivers.
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft became popular due to the convenience offered.
Most people love having the ability to tap a few buttons on their smartphones and see a car arrive minutes later.
However, the rideshare business model suffers from its share of controversies.
Some drivers work long hours struggling to earn meager incomes.
In addition, some people accuse companies such as Uber of price gouging, surge pricing, and inadequate job protections for drivers.
On the other hand, many drivers love working for the various rideshare companies.
They like the freedom, flexibility, and autonomy that comes with this type of work.
Working as an independent contractor provides a certain level of freedom that no other type of job can match.
For some people, ridesharing services are worth it if it means making an extra few hundred dollars per week.
Difference Between Carpooling and Ridesharing
Carpooling is a different type of activity from ridesharing.
In carpooling, riders split the cost of a ride with each other.
A driver can provide transportation to people who need a ride either for free or a minimal fee.
Many families and coworkers arrange to carpool for their daily activities to save money.
Doing so can reduce automobile expenses significantly.
Ridesharing is different from carpooling.
A company is an intermediary that connects customers with drivers in the ridesharing industry.
There’s no splitting of costs between passengers, unless riders choose a service such as Uber Pool or Lyft Line.
Instead, a customer pays a specific amount to get picked up and transported to their destination.
Rideshare companies make money by taking a cut of each transaction or charging customers through the app itself.
You Might Also Like
How to Carpool: Save Money by Sharing Your Ride
List of Ridesharing Companies
Now that the difference between carpooling and ridesharing companies is clear, you’ll learn about a list of popular apps.
These include Lyft, Uber, Juno, Winz, Via, Zum, and more.
The most popular ridesharing service in North America is Uber.
Its app lets users hail a car to their location to pick them up at any time of day or night.
The app also allows for payment options including cash, debit cards, credit cards, PayPal, Venmo, gift cards, and other such payment methods.
Uber offers a variety of ridesharing services.
- UberPOOL: Uber’s carpooling service lets users split the cost of a ride with other people.
- UberX: UberX is a lower-cost ridesharing option offering sedans.
- UberXL: If you need to transport more passengers, this service works well. It’s similar to UberX, but it allows for larger cars that can hold a larger group.
- UberBLACK: Drivers using UberBlack drive more luxurious cars and give their riders a more premium experience. The price for this service is much higher compared to other Uber services.
- UberSUV: The UberSUV service is similar to UberBLACK, but the cars are larger and include a variety of amenities.
- UberLUX: UberLUX works well for those who want a different level of luxury and comfort. The cars used by drivers include high-end Mercedes models, Audi A8, etc.
- Uber also offers food delivery services.
Uber is available in most cities across the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
Uber drivers are in most metropolitan areas such as Barcelona, Berlin, Miami, Boston, Chicago, Dubai, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Mexico City, and San Francisco.
- Convenience: You can request a ride from the app at any time.
- Uber is open 24 hours a day.
- Uber is available in most areas.
- Surge Pricing: Sometimes, you might have to pay more for an Uber ride due to high demand.
- Not driver-friendly: For example, they don’t get benefits.
Lyft is a popular ridesharing company in the U.S. and Canada.
Lyft allows riders to request a driver when they need one.
Some people like Lyft better than Uber because the company treats its drivers better.
Lyft offers these main services:
- Lyft: The cheapest non-carpool service offered.
- Lyft Plus: A service that allows you to ride in larger vehicles such as SUVs and vans. Lyft Plus can accommodate up to six passengers, including their belongings.
- Lyft Premier: An option that costs more than Lyft but is similar to Lyft Plus. The difference is that your driver will drive a luxury car such as a Cadillac, BMW, or Tesla.
- Lyft Line: An option that’s similar to UberPOOL. You can split the cost of rides with other passengers going in a similar direction as you.
Lyft is available in most areas of the U.S. and Canada. It offers services in cities such as New York City, Orlando, Toronto, Santa Barbara, Chicago, and more.
- Drivers are typically treated better than Uber.
- All Lyft drivers go through background checks.
- Surge Pricing: Sometimes Lyft’s prices rise due to high demand.
- Coverage is limited compared to Uber.
Juno is no longer in business.
It went bankrupt in 2019.
When Juno operated, its drivers mainly worked in New York City.
The prices were lower than Uber and Lyft.
Juno offered a membership fee which users paid monthly.
Juno also provided more benefits to drivers compared to its competitors.
Limited availability in New York City when the app operated. No availability exists anymore.
- A ride with Juno offered a cheaper ride than with Uber or Lyft.
- The app treated drivers better than some other ridesharing companies.
- Less real-time coverage than Uber and Lyft
- Out of business
Gett purchased Juno in 2017 and decided to shut Juno down in 2019.
Gett is a ridesharing company that focuses on a corporate fleet, limo, and cab rides.
It doesn’t try to compete with Uber or Lyft.
Instead, this rideshare app caters to business customers.
Gett allows users to book multiple providers and control trips all from one convenient app.
Gett operates in Russia, Israel, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
- A good option when you have longer airport runs.
- Cheaper than Uber, especially during peak hours.
- Competitive rates for town cars and other high-end vehicles.
- Coverage isn’t as extensive as Lyft or Uber.
Wingz is a ridesharing company specializing in airport rides.
It doesn’t compete with Uber and Lyft, but you can arrange a ride-share through Wingz to go to the airport or an event.
Wingz operates mostly in the United States, although it does have some drivers in Canada and Mexico.
It’s available throughout 30 major U.S. cities.
- Professional and reliable drivers.
- It’s a good option for those traveling to or from the airport.
- Coverage isn’t as broad as other companies such as Uber and Lyft.
- Riders can’t choose their type of car. The company assigns one to you, which isn’t convenient if you need a specific type of vehicle.
Ziro is a rideshare service that runs on a platform of artificial intelligence.
Its goal is to simplify the process for consumers and drivers.
The big benefit to Ziro drivers is that they don’t pay the high commissions charged by Lyft or Uber.
Riders enjoy an affordable ride experience throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Ziro operates mainly in San Francisco.
You’ll find it in the Bay Area and surrounding cities such as Oakland, Berkeley, Palo Alto, and San Jose.
- Drivers get paid more than they would with other ridesharing companies such as Uber or Lyft.
- Each driver receives 100% of ride earnings.
- Driver promotions are advantageous.
- Ziro offers one of the cheapest options for riders.
- Very few drivers are available.
- Limited range of cities.
Flywheel offers an operating system for traditional taxis.
The drivers use a smartphone instead of the conventional meters, credit card readers, or dispatch systems.
The app also provides a rideshare service for people needing rides around town.
Flywheel’s main claim to fame is how it’s made taxi-hailing easier to do than calling in and waiting forever for the ride.
You’ll find Flywheel rides in Houston, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and Fort Lauderdale.
- You can easily find a taxi ride.
- Only located in four cities.
Grab competes with Uber in Southeast Asian countries.
To differentiate itself, it offers more than ridesharing services.
Riders can take their pets on Grab rides and even hop on motorbikes.
Grab uses a feature called JustGrab that lets users pick up rides with only one tap on the screen.
- Grab operates in Southeast Asia, Australia, China, Taiwan, Japan, and India.
- Customer support is available 24/7.
- Multiple ride types are offered.
- GrabRewards programs let you earn points on hotels.
- You can only get rides if you’re in Southeast Asia.
Headquartered in Estonia, Bolt operates as an alternative to Uber in over 45 countries.
You can use Bolt to book public transportation or even get a vehicle on demand. You can also schedule rides in advance for both types of travel.
The rideshare app offers various discounts and rewards to its customers.
Bolt operates mainly throughout Europe, although it also moved into Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Australia (such as in Sydney).
- You can book a ride to or from public transportation with one tap.
- Effortless navigation and payment.
- Limited coverage in select cities compared to Uber.
Via is a rideshare service that’s used in many large cities, including Chicago, New York City, and London. It operates as a carpooling app to help reduce traffic congestion.
The Via app mimics public transportation by sending you updates on pickup times and routing information.
Via works to connect riders going in the same direction. The app clearly marks your pickup and destination.
You’ll find Via throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, particularly in large metropolitan areas. It’s also available in Brazil, Germany, and Singapore.
- Affordable fares.
- Focuses on reducing carbon footprint.
- Mostly a carpool app, so it’s difficult to find private rides.
Curb calls itself America’s #1 taxi app. It’s headquartered in San Francisco. The company also specializes in carpooling for select metropolitan areas.
The app sets itself apart from Lyft and Uber by working mainly with taxi drivers to connect them with riders. You can book your trip in advance, however.
Curb uses a system called “Pair and Pay.” It allows you to hail a taxi by hand and then convert the fare over to the app after the trip starts.
It is limited to the United States and parts of Canada and Mexico.
- You can work with fully insured for-hire drivers and taxi drivers.
- Use both electronic and cash options to pay for your rides.
- Some users find that the app doesn’t work properly 100% of the time.
The Gojek app uses motorcycles and drivers who speak English or Indonesian for customer service purposes.
The app works similarly to Uber’s app. However, you can edit your trips while in the car. You can also get picked up by bikes or scooters.
Gojek is available in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- You can book rides as early as two weeks in advance.
- The app offers travel cards so paying fares is easy to do.
- Limited coverage.
Cabify is a taxi-sharing app that offers safe rides due to rigorous driver background checks.
The main advantage of Cabify is the geo-tracking feature. It makes sure your family and friends know where you are at all times.
The Cabify Business option provides business services such as travel plans for employees.
Available throughout Europe, Latin America, and Spain.
- You can pay through cash, credit, or PayPal.
- You can schedule rides in advance.
- Conducts extensive driver background checks.
- Hard to reach the company’s support team.
- Not all types of cars are available.
14. DiDi Chuxing (AKA Didi)
Didi originally started as a taxi-hailing app in China before the company expanded to rideshare services throughout Asia.
Didi is Uber’s biggest competitor in the areas where it operates. The app looks similar to Uber’s interface and it allows you to get the following types of rides:
You can use Didi throughout much of East Asia and parts of Southeast Asia. The company now operates in over 400 cities, including Tokyo, Taipei, and Bangkok.
- You can book rides in advance without having to pay in full.
- Some users report that the company charges high fees, especially for foreigners and expats.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve covered a lot of ground by giving you information about the above list of ridesharing companies.
You might still have questions about a few specific details about rideshare apps.
What Are the top rideshare companies?
Lyft and Uber are the two biggest companies in terms of coverage.
These two rideshare apps are often thought about first whenever people think about hailing a ride.
Most people don’t say they’re going to get rideshare anymore.
Instead, they say they’re going to get an Uber or a Lyft.
What is the cheapest rideshare service?
Gett is often referred to as the rideshare app that offers the least expensive rides.
However, that advantage is offset by the fact that its coverage area isn’t as wide as Lyft or Uber.
For this reason, try to get an Uber Pool or Lyft Line ride to drive your rideshare costs down.
What is the safest rideshare app?
It’s hard to say which rideshare app is safest.
All the apps listed above take precautions to keep their riders and drivers safe from harm.
The best way to avoid safety problems when using a rideshare app is to remain aware of your surroundings at all times.
Don’t depend only on your driver.
Keep your eyes on the road and alert your driver if you think they might miss a potential accident or other hazards while driving.
Remember that you must take your share of responsibility when it comes to staying safe as you move to and fro out there in the world.
Drivers do everything they can to drive safely.
However, they will appreciate any help you can bring them as they navigate through busy traffic conditions.
Which rideshare company pays the most?
A Ziro gig pays the most to drivers because drivers take home 100% of the fare.
The problem is that Ziro’s coverage remains limited to the San Francisco area.
When looking to make money as a rideshare driver, your best bet is to make do with what you have.
Join each rideshare company that does business in your area.
Take time to test how much you earn driving with each available app.
Compare the results and then use the rideshare app that will pay you the most based on time of day and other such factors.
Making money in the rideshare business is similar to earning revenue in any business.
You need to get experience and then use your judgment to make everything work to your advantage.
Did you learn about a new rideshare app on this list of ridesharing companies?
Download the new app and try it out.
If you’re going to visit another country, you can also download the app used most often in that area to get around during your vacation or business trip.