How would you like a free ride credit, good towards your first Lyft ride? Thanks to the latest Lyft promo code, you can have it.
Please note: The credit amount varies by city and can change at any time.
Quick Post Navigation:
Note: If our featured new Lyft user code doesn’t work for you, select another from the full list below. The promo codes can sometimes be finicky, try again until you see the credit applied to your account.
Claiming Your Lyft Promo Code
If you’re a new user that has not yet claimed their new user promo code, then you’re in luck. As a way to grow their user base, Lyft is still offering new users free account credit when they download the app and sign up for an account.
Claiming your first Lyft ride is easy, and can be done in a few simple steps:
1. Download the app
There are two ways to get the Lyft app: either download it directly from the Google Play or App Store or get it from the Lyft website.
2. Enter Phone Number
If you get the app from the Lyft website, simply enter your phone number into the box.
If you are getting the app directly from the Google Play or App store, you can skip this step.
Once you enter your phone number, Lyft will text you a download link to the app. Follow the prompts, and you’ll eventually see the app installed on your phone.
3. Create Your Rider Account
After you’ve downloaded the app, you’ll need to create a rider account. The app will prompt you to follow a series of simple steps that will get your profile and payment information set up. Enter the appropriate information and verify your phone number if needed.
4. Enter the Promo Code
Once you’ve downloaded the app and set up your account for the first time, enter a promo code to claim your first free Lyft ride.
Navigate to the “Payment” section of the Lyft rider app, and enter the promo code “RIDESTERLYFT,” or another code from our list, into the box that says “Add Credit/Gift Code.”
If your Lyft gift code isn’t working, there may be a few reasons why:
- Credit is expired: Most Lyft promo codes expire after a certain date, in our case, 14 days. If you wait too long to use the code and request a ride after the code’s expiration date, the credit will disappear from your account, and you will have to pay full price for your rides.
- Promotion is location-specific: Some Lyft credit codes are location specific, and only work in certain cities.
- Another code has already been applied: If you are trying to use more than one Lyft credit code on a specific ride, you will receive an error. According to the official Lyft website, “you cannot use more than one credit per ride, but you can switch between credits on the Payment screen after the ride.”
- Using it on a business ride– If you are taking a Lyft for your work under a business profile, then these free credits won’t count towards your ride because your employer will most likely reimburse you the fare.
- Not the same currency– If you’re in Canada and you use a promo code designed for new users in the United States, it won’t work. Please make sure that the currency of the promo code you are trying to use matches with your country.
|Lyft Promo Code||Promotion Amount|
|FALLTIME17||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|CAMPUSCODE2017||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|RIDESTERLYFT||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|RIDESHAREAPPS||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|BESTRIDECOUPON||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|BESTPROMOCODE||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
|FALLCODE||Up to $50 Free Ride Credit|
Why free Lyft credit for new users?
In their efforts to recruit new passengers, Lyft has also found themselves locked in a battle with their largest industry competitor, Uber. Lyft constantly tries to one-up Uber by offering more attractive promotions.
This is where the free Lyft ride credit comes into play. For the longest time, Lyft only offered $10-20 per new user. But as Uber became more aggressive, so did Lyft. The main party that continuously benefits the most from this constant tug of war are new riders.
Users will be delighted to know that the credit doesn’t go away after you take your first ride. Unlike Uber’s referral program where remaining credits don’t roll over to the next ride, the Lyft credit will remain in your rider account even if you don’t use all of it on the first ride.
This promotion is also great for existing Lyft users as they can earn a ton of free ride credit for referring friends and new users to the platform (more on that below). This strategy has allowed Lyft to experience rapid growth and has redefined the referral programs for the future.
Lyft Promo Code for Existing Users
After signing up for Lyft and claiming their first free Lyft promo code, riders are no longer considered a new user. Promo codes for existing users are very hard to come by.
We get tons of emails asking if there is any Lyft promo code for existing users. After thorough research, we have concluded that there are not.
There are Lyft offers codes tied to specific events, such as SXSW, festivals, conferences or other promotional banding opportunities that can be used by existing users. But, these codes are usually only good for a few days or only good in the cities where the events are happening.
However, there are still a few ways for existing Lyft users to earn free ride credit.
- Claim your free Lyft promo code (new users only): If you have entered the code and are already done with the first ride, check your account again. You might still find some free credits leftover from the new user promo code.
- Take advantage of the Lyft Referral Program: Lyft incentivizes you with great deals if you refer new riders or drivers to their app. The rewards vary by city (a user in Chicago will have different reward criteria and bonuses than ones who live in Los Angeles), but you can earn up to $2000 per week (either in cash, Lyft credit or a combination of both) by referring new passengers.
- Take advantage of Uber New Rider promo code: If you have exhausted your new rider promo code for Lyft, and haven’t tried Uber yet, they also offer a promo code for new accounts. Right now, Uber is offering up to $15 off the first ride. But don’t limit yourself to Uber. If there are more local rideshare apps available in your city, see if they offer special coupons for new riders.
- Take a ride with a new Lyft or Uber user: If you have a friend that just signed up for one of the ridesharing apps, that’s heading to the same place as you, tag along for a ride with them. They will get a free first ride and so will you.
- Use a Lyft Line: If you don’t mind sharing your ride with other passengers, order a Lyft Line. This is Lyft’s carpooling service that automatically matches you up with other riders heading the same route as you. By using a Lyft Line, you can lower your ride fare by up to 60%.
- Use a Lyft Line pass: Frequent Lyft users may be eligible to purchase a Lyft Line package for a discounted flat fee. But this offer is an invite-only pass only available to a batch of select few existing riders every month. You have to sign up to their email newsletter to be eligible, but you can try reaching out to them personally.
If you fall into the category of existing user, check out our full guide that outlines each of these methods, along with the bonus method, in detail.
Q: How many Lyft promo codes can I use?
A: You may use one Lyft promo code at a time. Your first ride will be credited to your account and will be used on your first ride automatically.
Q: Can I keep using my Lyft promo code after I take my first ride?
A: Unfortunately the code is only good for one ride, but if you have credits remaining from your first ride promo code, you can still use that up on your next ride. Please see our section above on referring friends to get more free Lyft rides
Q: How else can I get free Lyft ride credit?
A: You can use a Lyft Line to save on your fares. Or for free rider credits, you can refer new passengers, drivers, or even try Uber’s free promo code for new users.
Q: I don’t have a smartphone. Can I still receive a free Lyft ride?
A: Unfortunately the only way to redeem the free Lyft ride is by entering the Lyft promo code on a smartphone.
Q: How do I claim my free Lyft ride?
A: Simply download the app, enter in one of our Lyft ride codes, and take your first ride.
Q: How will I know who my Lyft driver is?
A: Through Amp.
Amp is an LED beacon that’s strapped to the dashboard of the driver’s car. It helps you and your driver find each other seamlessly. When your driver arrives, the Amp will light up a specific color. For example, if the Amp starts flashing the Lyft logo in color blue, your app will allow you to turn your phone screen blue so that you can just wave it at your driver’s car to get their attention. This feature is perfect to find your Lyft car in crowded space where many more passengers might be requesting rides. Some drivers will also have Lyft stickers on their windows.
Q: Can I use more than one free Lyft ride codes?
A: You can refer others to download Lyft using your Lyft referral code, but if you are a first time user you can only use one Lyft ride code upon initial sign up.
Q: How frequently do you update the Lyft promo code page?
A: We update this page every month, so make sure to check back regularly.
Q: I need to get to another city. Can I use Lyft to take me there?
A: The Lyft promo code is good for up to the stated amount, but if you have to get to another city you should consult with your Lyft driver before beginning the ride.
Q: What happens if my ride cost exceeds the Lyft promo code credit?
A: If your free Lyft ride credit is not enough to cover the ride, you will be charged the difference via your electronic payment method on file.
Q: Can I tip and rate my driver?
A: Yes. You will be given a chance to tip and rate your drivers after your ride. 100% of the tips go to the driver, and you can tip them up to 72 hours after the ride is complete. Tips can be made either through the app or with cash. You can not use Lyft credits to tip them.
Q: Can I split the fare with my friend?
A: Yes. All you have to do is tap the “Split payment” icon in the app to open up your contact list. You can split the cost evenly with up to 5 friends. The app will send the split fare request to the selected friends through text. Make sure that they accept the split request.
This feature can only be used during active rides, and can’t be used once you have already been dropped off.
Q: Can I cancel my ride?
A: Yes, but you will be charged a cancellation fee if you cancel the ride after two minutes have passed since the driver accepted your request and if the driver is at the pick-up location within 5 minutes of the estimated arrival time.
Q: Can I schedule a ride in advance?
A: Yes, but this feature is only available for standard Lyft ride requests, and not for services like Lyft Plus or Lyft Premier. You can schedule rides up to 7 days in advance. You can do this through the “Set pickup” feature on your app.
If you choose to cancel the ride within 30 minutes of the driver’s scheduled pick up time, you will be charged $10 for a cancellation fee.
Thank you for taking the time to read our post on earning a free Lyft ride by using our Lyft promo codes. If you have questions about anything you read, please feel free to contact us through the contact form below.Note: There is a rating embedded within this post, please visit this post to rate it.