Gig work has exploded over the last five years.
New gig apps are constantly popping up and it’s hard to sift through the options available.
Luckily, some of those options are better than others.
The current Orderup jobs are a great example.
- What is Orderup and How Does it Work?
- Where Does Orderup Operate?
- What Jobs Can You Do For Orderup?
- How Much Do You Make Working For Orderup Jobs?
- Orderup VS the Competition
- Are Orderup Jobs Worth it?
- How to Apply For an Orderup Job
- Wrapping Up
What is Orderup and How Does it Work?
Orderup is an online food ordering and delivery app founded in Baltimore, Maryland by Chris Jeffery and Jason Kwicien.
What started as an app to serve the local Baltimore area quickly expanded into other markets by franchising.
The founders licensed online food ordering technology to local business owners and entrepreneurs to bring online food ordering and delivery to their cities.
In 2015, Groupon bought Orderup, and by 2017 Orderup had another owner.
Orderup’s new owner is Grubhub, a food delivery service that operates all across the United States.
How Does it Work?
Customers use the Grubhub app or website to search local restaurants and place their orders.
The order is dispatched to a delivery driver who picks up the food from the restaurant and delivers it hot and fresh to the customer.
Grubhub is an on-demand delivery service where restaurants make the food as soon as the order is placed.
Drivers pick up the order and drop it off as soon as it’s ready.
The drivers are paid a base amount from Grubhub and keep 100% of their tips.
Where Does Orderup Operate?
Orderup was bought by Grubhub in 2017.
They no longer operate under that name.
Grubhub is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, but operates in all 50 states.
However, it does not operate in every city in every state.
Today, Grubhub is active in over 4,000 U.S. cities and has partnered with more than 300,000 restaurants.
Recently, the international company Just Eat Takeaway bought Grubhub.
Just Eat Takeaway’s headquarters are in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and serve many areas all over the world.
What Jobs Can You Do For Orderup?
Online food ordering and delivery is a simple model but requires many moving parts.
The biggest moving part of any delivery service is the delivery drivers.
- Drivers: pick up food and deliver it to the customer
- Customer service team: Provides online and phone support to drivers, customers, and restaurants
- Sales: grow relationships with restaurants and other enterprises
- Marketing: develop creative campaigns
- Logistics: ensure smooth daily operations
- Software engineering: Improve mobile applications
Check out more exciting career opportunities!
How Much Do You Make Working For Orderup Jobs?
On average, most drivers report their earnings to be around $18 an hour, this includes a base of $12 an hour plus tips.
Your earnings will vary based on your market and other considerations.
Being a delivery driver for Orderup, now Grubhub means you can set your hours and work as much or as little as you want.
How much you decide to work will affect your overall earnings per hour.
The more you work, the more you make.
Other factors that go into your hourly wage are weather, time of year, time of day, events, holidays, a saturation of other drivers, and your overall market, in general.
You can expect to make more an hour in major cities versus smaller towns as there is more demand and plenty of busy restaurants.
For instance, drivers in Los Angeles can expect to make around $29 an hour.
Drivers in Saint Petersburg, Florida, make an average of $18 per hour.
Your market will play a role in how much you can expect to make delivering food for Grubhub.
Orderup VS the Competition
Food delivery apps have tremendously increased in popularity because of the pandemic.
There are several top companies to choose from when deciding to be a delivery driver.
Orderup Jobs VS Uber Eats
Uber Eats operates in 6,000 cities across the country and prides itself on offering an alternative to being a rideshare driver.
It’s also a way to supplement your rideshare earnings.
If you are already an Uber driver, you can opt-in to driving for Uber Eats in the driver app.
You can also deliver food by scooter, bike, or foot in select cities.
Uber Eats drivers reported earning an average of $17.74 an hour, slightly less than Grubhub drivers.
Orderup Jobs VS Grubhub
Before Orderup was bought out by Grubhub, delivery drivers reported earning $17 an hour on average.
Now that drivers work under Grubhub, their hourly wages have increased slightly to $18.
Orderup Jobs VS Postmates
Postmates drivers reported earnings around $12 to $13 an hour, about $5 less than Grubhub drivers.
As of 2021, Postmates has been acquired by Uber Eats.
Customers and drivers now operate off of the Uber Eats app.
Orderup Jobs VS DoorDash
DoorDash operates in over 7,000 cities across the United States, Canada, and Australia.
DoorDash states there are no vehicle restrictions or inspections needed to start earning.
Just sign up and start making money.
DoorDash drivers have reported average earnings of around $20 an hour, a couple of dollars more than Grubhub drivers.
Are Orderup Jobs Worth it?
Driving for Grubhub can be a great way to make some extra cash on the side.
$18 an hour is far above minimum wage, and if you work full time during peak hours, you could even make up to $20 an hour.
Let’s get into the pros and cons of driving for Grubhub.
Pros of Orderup Jobs
- You can work whenever you want for however long you want
- You can receive guaranteed hourly pay while on the clock
- Cash-out immediately, up to $500 a day
- Lower age requirement than other gig apps
- More orders than other delivery apps
Cons of Orderup Jobs
- Wear and tear on your vehicle, which cuts into your pay
- You are responsible for paying taxes and will need to set aside money for this every year
- Money may not always be consistent and will vary greatly depending on location and other factors
How to Apply For an Orderup Job
Since Orderup is not operating under that name, you will have to do everything through Grubhub.
It includes filling out the application and receiving orders.
If you want to work for Grubhub as a delivery driver, you must have a valid driver’s license with at least two years of driving history.
You also need to be at least 19 years old in most cities and own a car with valid auto insurance.
You are allowed to drive motorcycles, scooters, and bikes in quite a few cities.
If you sign up to deliver on a scooter or bike, you won’t need proof of insurance or a driver’s license.
You will, however, need a valid state ID.
You will have to pass a background check before you can start delivering, which can take several days to weeks to clear.
To get paid you will have to enter a checking and routing number for direct deposit and a debit card number for instant cashout.
The most important part of this job is having a reliable car and a compatible phone.
You will need to have at least an IOS 11 or Android 5.0 to receive orders.
Step By Step Guide
- Visit driver.grubhub.com and enter the city and state you will be delivering in. Click next.
- Enter in the information the form asks for: Name, email, and phone number. Click next.
- You will then have to take a short questionnaire that will determine if you are eligible to be a Grubhub driver. A common reason for being denied is that there is not enough demand in the area you are in or other eligibility issues.
- If you are deemed eligible you will be able to set up your profile account. This is where you will have to upload proof of driver’s license, auto insurance, and banking information. Once that is complete, authorize Grubhub to do your background check.
- Once your background check is cleared you will be able to finish filling out your paperwork and start your onboarding training. This consists of several videos that you will need to watch before you can begin taking orders.
Orderup may not be around anymore, but you will still be able to make money delivering food through Grubhub.
There are also other career opportunities that you can look into including customer support and sales if delivering food doesn’t seem like the right fit.
Grubhub drivers make $18 an hour on average and as much as $20 an hour when they work during peak hours and take advantage of any bonus pay or other incentives.
Grubhub is one of the most lucrative food delivery gig apps to work for, similar to DoorDash and Uber Eats.
You can be your own boss and set your own hours while making above minimum wage.
If you want more information on working as a delivery driver for Grubhub, read this next!
*Note: Some of the Orderup jobs you can apply for today include food delivery driver through the Grubhub app.
This delivery service allows the customer to order from restaurants, including local restaurants.
Orderup offers other career opportunities for qualified applicants.
As a delivery driver, your job description requires food pickups and drop-off delivery orders.
As a delivery driver, you play a critical role in connecting customers with restaurants.