In a world where technology is pushing traditional boundaries, new providers are continually challenging businesses of all sectors by offering to revolutionize the service industry. Structured after the widely popular “on-demand” business models, services like these aim to make customer journey smoother, efficient, and faster.
One such service is Postmates, which started operating in 2011 and has been rapidly expanding across cities and states throughout the USA, including Boston, Nashville, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Ohio and more.
The app takes the “frustration” element out of the shopping experience for customers by removing the need to browse through stores and wait in a checkout line for everyday things like toothbrush, shampoo, and food.
Postmates is an on-demand delivery service that uses its fleet of delivery drivers to shop and deliver what the customers request through the Postmates app. Whether a user is looking for a Starbucks coffee, McDonald’s fries, or something from the Apple Store, they can rely on Postmates to have items delivered to them in a timely, organized manner.
With operations in over 200 cities, couriers deliver north of one million items per month. Postmates are rigorously trying to recruit new drivers to keep up with its ever-expanding user base. One of the core ways they do this is by offering MASSIVE sign-on bonuses for new delivery persons who sign up with a Postmates driver referral code.
Postmates is Hiring
Postmates is looking for new drivers who are available to deliver goods at various days and hours that suit the driver. They’re prepared for drivers to use any form of transport to get the job done – their website suggests ‘… drive, scoot, bike or walk’.
Postmates Courier Delivery Service Requirements
Before we dive too far into the application itself, it is important to touch on the requirements to become a courier.
There aren’t too many requirements to work as an independent contractor with Postmate. Delivery vehicles allowed includes bicycles, vans, cars, trucks, scooters, motorcycles, and even walking. The type of service you can provide will vary based on the choice you make.
Some basic requirements for every courier include:
- Couriers must be at least 18 years of age at time of application
- Must have a valid drivers license, good for at least a year before submitting application
- Couriers must own or lease a smartphone to accept delivery requests
- Couriers must be upbeat, lively, and friendly towards customers
- Have some type of delivery vehicle to get to and from deliveries. This can be a scooter, car, bike, or any type of reliable transportation method
If you meet these basic requirements, move on to the application process.
Applying to become a Postmates courier
If you’re interested in making a healthy income and have the extra hours available to work, then apply to become a Postmates courier.
Delivery drivers can expect to make around $25 an hour, work their own hours, and keep all of the tips they receive, making this gig a very lucrative and flexible schedule job. Signing up to become a Postmates courier is a pretty easy and straightforward process, and doesn’t take much time.
Potential couriers can expect to go through the following steps:
- Create a Postmates courier account by entering an email address and password.
- Enter some basic information including name, date of birth, phone number, smartphone operating system type, city to deliver in, and type of vehicle.
- Enter a Postmates driver Referral code (listed below).
- Enter your current home address. It’s where you will receive your welcome kit that includes Postmates prepaid card and an insulated hot/cold bag.
- Consent to pass background check (includes both criminal history and motor record check)
- Upload your profile picture.
- Once you receive your welcome kit, you should be able to accept your first delivery.
**Note: Our friends over at rideshareapps.com put together a very comprehensive tutorial to applying for Postmates, so if you have any questions about how to apply, check that out.
What is Postmates courier referral code?
Earlier in the article, we mentioned a Postmates courier referral code, you are probably wondering what this is.
Well, Postmates will reward you for providing their service – they will pay you per delivery. But they will also reward new drivers for signing up for the service in the form of sign-on bonuses. The cash bonus that Postmates offers can be worth up to $200, depending on the city you sign up to deliver in. The sign-up bonus is a great way for you to earn a little extra income in addition to delivery fares that are already high!
To claim the bonus, you will need to enter the driver referral code email@example.com into the “Referral Code” box in the first step of the application process. This code will give new couriers and drivers a cash bonus after they complete a certain amount of rides.
It is important to note that the referral code must be applied during the initial application process, and cannot be entered retroactively after the couriers start delivering orders.
What happens after you fill out the new courier application?
Once you apply to be a courier, you will go through a vetting process. These checks are simple and intended to ensure that you’re the type of person who is appropriate to maintain the high standards offered by Postmates.
You’ll have to pass a background check that can last anywhere between 2 to 4 days, sometimes longer if you have a criminal or motor vehicle history that might impact your performance as a Postmates driver. If you’re driving, Postmates will need to see your license and insurance. Once you’ve passed these tests, you will be able to work pretty much whenever you want.
Postmate Perks for couriers
With gigs like these, the two major problems that seem to exhaust new drivers are stress and burnout. To keep its Postmates fleet motivated and interested in continuously working with the brand, they offer a variety of incentives and bonuses on top of the sign-up bonus mentioned above.
Here are 2 of the perks offered by Postmates:
1. Free Postmates Plus
If you make 25 deliveries in a month, you get upgraded to a Postmates Plus account for free, making you eligible to receive free deliveries on orders over $20. They have over 25,000 partner merchants you can order stuff from including Starbucks, Apple, Subway, Walgreens and more. This reward will get applied automatically to your customer account in the following month.
Drivers who complete ten deliveries a week can qualify for exclusive benefits through PerkSpot, which is a rewards program made up of a network of the nation’s largest local and national brands like Autozone, Verizon, T Mobile, Samsung, etc.
Postmates is a pretty new company, and there are still tons of couriers that aren’t quite sure of how the application process works, or what to expect once they get approved.
For your convenience, we’ve put together a few of the most commonly asked questions that we hear from users. Check them out:
What are the most common Postmates deliveries?
While Postmates can deliver anything from an iPad to groceries, the most common delivery is for take-out food.
How do I use Postmates?
Download the app. Set up your account. Place an order for the items you want. Your shopping list will be shown to the courier who will purchase the items, and then deliver it within the time frame identified at the time you placed the order.
Where is Postmates available?
The number of cities that Postmates operates in increases regularly. There are now over 200 locations that offer a Postmates service.
How much does a Postmates delivery cost?
The base fee for delivery starts at $5, plus a 9% service fee for the value of the item you purchased. The actual delivery payout will vary based on the distance from pick-up to drop off, and the capacity of the courier.
Does Postmates pricing change at peak times of high demand?
Yes. Blitz pricing is put in place when delivery demands are higher than normal, such as during peak times. The increased pricing is aimed to encourage Postmates couriers to be available, helping ensure delivery time frames gets met. You’ll be informed on the app when you place your order that Blitz pricing is in place, and you will have a chance to delay or cancel your order if you are uncomfortable with the premium cost.
What can I have delivered by a Postmates delivery courier?
Check the details of what’s available in your location. The range of providers using the Postmates service varies in every location. You can even have Craigslist items delivered. However, you will need to pay the seller directly, or the seller will need to accept a credit card for your payment.
Can I change my order after I’ve placed it on the Postmates app?
The Postmates app gives you the ability to contact your courier. If you want to change something on your order, contact your courier as soon as you can. Just note that if your change involves the courier needing to meet additional tasks, the delivery may take longer than the time stated when you ordered.
Who are Postmates couriers?
Postmates couriers are people who have passed background checks and met the guidelines for the ability to maintain Postmates high standards for deliveries. Anyone can be a Postmates courier. If you would like to apply, you’re welcome to do so.
How do I contact my courier?
Once your delivery gets assigned to a courier, you will be able to contact the courier through the app.
What customers do Postmates deliver to?
Postmates will deliver to homes and businesses. Postmates can even deliver to locations such as public places or hospital wards – they will just need clear directions. That part is up to you as the customer.
What are batched and chained deliveries?
Batched and chained deliveries are features that allow you to make the most out of your delivery routes at any given time.
With batched delivery, you can pick up multiple orders from the same place at once, and then complete the multiple deliveries in one route. When you accept a delivery request, the app will automatically notify you of the other orders that are available to be picked up from the same location. You can then pick the orders and deliver them one by one as you go. The app will automatically direct you to the next location after each delivery.
Chained deliveries are similar to batched delivery in that it also allows you to make more deliveries in the shortest time possible. This feature allows you to accept multiple deliveries from multiple locations and then drop them off to the customers who live in close proximity to each other. The app will automatically notify you about the deliveries on your route that needs to pick up. You are free to accept the request, or not, but if you do, it will automatically get added to your route.
Both of these allow drivers to make more money in their shifts and help them reach bonuses and incentives faster. If you do decide to try these features, please make sure that you deliver the right order to the right customer.
What if the customer isn’t available at the destination?
In the unlikely scenario where you picked up the order but are unable to get in touch with the customer to deliver it, just notify that within the app. The app will trigger off a timer set at 5 minutes. If the customer is still out of reach, you will have to return the items back to the pickup location.
Do I get rated for making deliveries?
Yes. The rating system is based on a 5-star scale, and it helps keep the couriers motivated enough to do their job to the best of their abilities.Postmates requires you to keep your rating at 4.7 or above. Anything less than that can get your account suspended.
A few factors that can affect your ratings include:
- How long it takes for you to deliver the items
- If you got any customer complaints (such as missing or wrong items)
- If they think the customer service they received was worth a high rating
Not all couriers are happy about the rating scale, and some have even complained 4.7 to be a high bar to maintain, but every company has different requirements. Just do your best with each delivery, and keep your attitude positive, because that will reflect on your stars.
6 reasons why you should consider working for Postmates
- Flexible hours– Most people who join Postmates as couriers are looking for a quick part-time job to do during free time, and this company is perfect for that. College kids, busy parents, or even someone working a 9-5 job who wants to make some quick bucks in an hour or two can work as a courier. This is not to say that there will be orders available at all the hours of the day since that heavily depends on your location, but the potential is always there.
- Variety of markets to choose from– Postmates is known for its on-demand food delivery. Customers place an order at a restaurant and a courier picks it up and delivers it to them. But Postmates is more than that. They deliver all sorts of goods, from electronics, toothbrush, to women’s leggings. This especially comes handy if you live in a busy town and want to avoid areas with limited parking.
- No car needed– Postmates doesn’t stringent vehicle requirements to make your delivery; you are free to use any form of transportation. You can fulfill the orders through cars, bicycles, motorcycles and even on foot. As long as you can deliver the correct item to the correct customer fast, that’s all that matters.
- Keep 100% of tips– Yes, you keep 100% of the tips. This is a fantastic addition to the hourly rate you already make. Most customers do tip their couriers and in the long run, these few bucks add up and make a significant difference to the final payment you receive.
- Not driving people around– Unlike Uber drivers, with Postmates, you aren’t shuttling people around, so you don’t have to worry about striking up a conversation with your passengers, deal with bad riders, or stress about whether they like the music you have on for them or not. You are only driving around goods which are far easier to manage than humans.
- Blitz bonuses– Delivering during rush hours lets you enjoy attractive Blitz bonuses on top of your standard rates and tips. This is a much higher rate than standard fee, and with tips, your payout will be even grander.
Even though Postmates is a new service, it is starting to gain traction pretty fast. Postmates provides customers with the opportunity to have a wide range of goods delivered on request, within a short timeframe.
For people looking for employment opportunities, Postmates provides the option to earn a healthy income with relatively low investment. If Postmates isn’t available in your city yet, be patient. With the rapid growth in the service, you might see the opportunity arrive, soon!Note: There is a rating embedded within this post, please visit this post to rate it.