Working for the Postmates delivery service is an excellent way to earn additional money while keeping a flexible schedule. The app allows customers to receive on-demand delivery from a variety of merchants, including food delivery services similar to other apps such as DoorDash or Uber Eats.
As with any service-oriented app, the key to success with Postmates is to provide a great delivery experience to customers. To do this, it’s essential that you become comfortable with the ins and outs of a key piece of technology: the Postmates Fleet app. In this post, we’ll look at everything you need to know to use the app, including a walkthrough of completing a delivery as a Postmate.
- Download the Postmates Fleet App
- Activate Your Postmates Prepaid Card
- Upload Order Receipts
- Contact Support About Immediate Issues
- Change Your Vehicle
- Accept and Complete Deliveries
- Report an Accident or Safety Issue
To start the process, you’ll need to download the Postmates Fleet app. You’ll receive instructions on how to do this once you’ve completed the Postmates onboarding process and activated your account. To learn how to do this, consult our complete guide to becoming a Postmate.
With your account activated, you can then download and install the Postmates Fleet app. The instructions you’ll need to follow will differ based on whether you’re using an Android or iOS device.
For Android, the installation steps are as follows:
- Ensure that you’re running Google Android 4.4 or later (KitKat)
- Using your mobile browser, go to fleet.postmates.com/app
- Sign in with your Google Account you use to get apps from the Google Play Store
- Once signed in, tap “Install”
- Return to the home screen to find the Postmates Fleet app installed
To install the Postmates Fleet app on iOS, follow these steps:
- Make sure you are running at least iOS 10 or later
- Go to fleet.postmates.com/app on your mobile device
- Tap “iOS”
- Upon downloading, you’ll see a prompt that reads “Untrusted Enterprise Developer”
- Visit your device’s Settings and tap “General”
- Tap “Profiles & Device Management”
- Tap on the Postmates Inc profile and tap “Trust Postmates Inc.”
- When prompted, tap “Trust”
- Return to your device’s home screen, and you’ll find the Postmates Fleet app installed
Once you’ve completed the above steps, congratulations! You can now begin making Postmates deliveries. Making deliveries, however, is just one of the many things you can do with the Postmates Fleet app. Let’s take a look at a few more things the app allows you to do.
One advantage of working for Postmates over other delivery apps is that all drivers get a prepaid card to use for all purchases. This eliminates the need for reimbursements of personal funds, as well as cash flow problems that can come from tying up lots of your personal money on a large customer order.
Before you can make your first delivery, you’ll need to activate the prepaid card. To do this, you’ll use the Postmates app to complete the following steps:
- Once you receive your prepaid card, open your iOS or Android Fleet app
- You should see a screen with an “Activate Card” button — tap the button to continue
- If you don’t see this screen, go to your account settings and tap on the “Prepaid card” menu item
- You should see a form prompting you to enter the last 4 digits of your card number and card identifier
- The card last 4 are the last 4 digits of your 16 digit card number
- The card identifier should be the 10-character alphanumeric code on the bottom left of the card. For instance, “Postmate ABCD123456789”
- Once you activate your card, watch your inbox for next steps. You’ll be ready to begin accepting offers in no time.
When paying with your prepaid card, Postmates requires you to upload a copy of the purchase receipt. This allows Postmates to charge the customer the correct amount for their order. To upload a receipt with the Postmates Fleet app, follow these steps:
- Once you have checked off each item on the shopping list in the Fleet app, the app will prompt you to take a photo of the receipt
- When the Fleet app prompts you, and only after you have physically swiped your card, take a clear photo of the entire receipt with all item names, prices, and the total
- Be sure the include the receipt in the bag with the customer’s items.
When working as a Postmates delivery driver, you may encounter an issue during a delivery that requires immediate support. For instance, the address the customer has given you is incorrect or doesn’t exist. Or, perhaps the Postmates prepaid card is being declined by the merchant’s payment processing system.
Whatever the case, the Postmates Fleet app allows you to contact support in real time for help with issues like these. To contact support during a delivery, follow these steps:
- Tap on “Order Details” for your current delivery
- Tap the “Support” button
- Select the issue you’re experiencing. For instance, you might choose “Need Additional Funds” if your prepaid card isn’t working.
Sometimes you may need to change the vehicle you use to make Postmates deliveries. Maybe you’ve decided to save gas and give bike deliveries a go. Or perhaps you just got a new car and are eager to take it for a spin while earning some extra cash.
To change your vehicle within the Postmates Fleet app, follow these steps:
- Make sure you’re offline. You can’t change your vehicle while you’re making or available to make deliveries.
- Tap on “Account Settings”
- Choose between “Bicycle,” “Car,” “Foot,” “Motorcycle,” “Scooter,” “Truck,” or “Van”
- Tap “Confirm Vehicle” to save.
Note that you can only change to a vehicle that’s eligible to use for deliveries in your market. Cars are eligible across markets, but other vehicles such as bicycles or scooters may only be allowed in select markets. To learn which vehicles you can use to make Postmates deliveries, visit the information page for your market.
The crux of the Postmates Fleet app is accepting and completing deliveries. Without the app, Postmates as a service would not exist in its current form. It’s therefore worth going over the process of accepting and completing deliveries from start to finish. You’ll also cover this when you complete your Postmates onboarding, but a little review won’t hurt.
The Postmates delivery process breaks down into five phases:
- Accepting a Delivery Request
- Going to the Pickup Location
- Picking Up Orders and Paying
- Completing Pickup and Starting Dropoff
- Dropping Off the Order
Here’s more detail about each phase:
Phase 1: Accepting a Delivery Request
Whenever you go online and a new delivery request becomes available, you’ll get an alert at the bottom of the app screen. The delivery request will show you the merchant name and location, as well as how many deliveries you need to pick up there. To choose the delivery offer, tap “Accept.”
Note that you can also enable Auto Accept to improve your efficiency. When you choose this option, new deliveries will be added to your route automatically. To enable Auto Accept, follow these steps:
- Open your Fleet app
- Go to “Account Preferences”
- Tap on “Automatic Accept”
- Learn more about Auto Accept here
Phase 2: Going to the Pickup Location
You’ll see the quickest navigation route within the Postmates app. We recommend following this to maximize your order efficiency. However, if you’d prefer to take a different route, you can also do so. Just be sure you know where you’re going. You don’t want to be late.
Phase 3: Picking Up Orders and Paying
Once you arrive at the pickup location, the Postmates Fleet app will tell you whether the order has already been placed or if you need to order the items yourself. The app will also tell you whether or not you need to pay for the items, as orders will be prepaid at some merchants.
If the customer has already placed the order, then follow these steps to pick it up:
- If there is a shopping list, tap “Shopping List” to view the order
- Pick up all of the items on the shopping list, and check off the items in order
- Use your prepaid card to complete the purchase (if the order requires payment)
- Take a clear photo of the entire receipt
- Enter the total order amount on the receipt
If you need to order the items yourself, then you’ll need to follow a different set of steps:
- Tap “’Order Details” to view the order
- Pick up all of the items shown on the shopping list
- If an item that the customer ordered is unavailable, you may need to contact them for a substitution. You can contact the customer by tapping the “Support” button on the delivery screen, where you will then be given the option to call or message the customer.
- Use your Postmates Prepaid Card to complete the purchase
- Take a clear photo of the entire receipt
- Enter the total order amount on the receipt
Phase 4: Completing Pickup and Starting Dropoff
Once you have the items, tap “Start Dropoff” and head to the customer. As with making a pickup, you can choose to either follow the in-app navigation or take your own route. Unless you know the area you’re working in particularly well, we recommend sticking with the in-app navigation.
Phase 5: Dropping Off the Order
Congrats on a successful pickup. You’re almost done. You just need to follow a few more steps to make sure the customer has the order in their hands:
- When you arrive at the dropoff destination, you’ll be able to view the dropoff details by tapping the green arrow at the bottom of your screen
- When you’re handing off the items, make sure that you’re delivering it to the customer by greeting them with their name
- Note: Do not indicate that you have completed the dropoff until you have finished handing the delivery to the customer
- Once you have finished handing off the delivery, complete it in your app by tapping “Delivery Unconfirmed” and selecting “Deliver to Customer.” From there you can tap “Close” to go back and then swipe to complete.
- You will be presented with the total you’ve earned from the delivery
When written out in a comprehensive manner, the delivery process can seem lengthy. In practice, however, it’s not that hard. The app will guide you through the process, the Postmates support staff will be there if you have any issues, and you’ll get better at the whole thing with practice.
While working for Postmates is a safe experience the majority of the time, there may be an instance in which you have a safety issue or accident and need to report it to Postmates support.
Possible safety issues include harassment from a merchant or customer or a request to deliver illegal items. Accidents that you should report, meanwhile, could include a collision that you were involved in while making a Postmates delivery (since the Postmates insurance policy would cover you).
To report an accident or safety issue, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Contact Support” tab in the Postmates Fleet app
- Select “Report an Accident or Safety Incident”
- You’ll enter your phone number and a member of the Postmates Trust and Safety team will contact you. You’ll receive an ETA for when they’ll be in touch.
Note that while you should report traffic accidents to Postmates, the company cannot help you with parking tickets or other fines you incur while driving for them. As an independent contractor, you’re responsible for paying these expenses out of your own pocket. You can claim them as tax deductions, however.
Start Your Postmates Gig Today
We hope this guide has given you a solid overview of the different features available within the Postmates Fleet app. As you can now see, this app is a powerful tool that will not only guide you through every stage of the delivery process, but will also allow you to receive support when you need it.
To learn more about Postmates, check out our definitive guide to Postmates for riders and drivers. Trying to decide whether you should drive for Postmates or DoorDash? Take a look at our comparison of which is better for drivers.