How does Uber work? Uber is a taxi service owned by Uber Technologies Inc. and has been around for more than 8 years. Uber’s main goal is to provide affordable private transportation by sharing the service with others. Whether you want to become a partner or are just looking for insight, keep reading to learn more.
How Does Uber Work For Drivers and Riders
The Convenience Of Using Uber As A Taxi Alternative
Commuters prefer Uber service over taxi cabs for a number of reasons. First, Uber’s booking process is incredibly convenient. Instead of passengers having to flag down a traditional cab on the street, they are able to book from their smartphone app. Once booked, you have the option to pay with cash or the credit card associated with your account. Because Uber estimates the cost of the ride before beginning the trip, it’s often faster than taking a taxi. Riders are looking for a stress-free experience and often choose Uber due to the cost, speed, and reliability.
Uber is a car service accessible only through the application. To be able to use its services, you need to have the Uber app installed in a compatible smartphone with internet connection and GPS capabilities. The app connects the rider to nearby drivers based on the location provided.
Steps In Using Uber
To enjoy Uber’s services as a rider, you have to download the app and install on your smartphone. It is available for the following smartphones:
Follow these easy steps to start using Uber:
- Sign up to create an account. For first time users, Uber gives out a free ride worth $15 when you use a promo code.
- Next, open the app and login with your username and password.
- Set up your payment method by saving your credit card or linking your PayPal account. But, you can also choose to pay in cash. (Note: Uber will only charge you when you ride.)
- Once your account has been set up, you can now start booking your ride.
Here’s how to book for one:
- Select your pickup location. It can either be where you are now, or another location, if you are booking for another person.
- Select your drop-off point or destination.
- Once you have keyed in your location, choose your ride. Uber has a variety of services to cater the rider’s needs:
- Economy – UberX, UberXL, UberSelect
- Premium – UberBlack, UberSUV, UberLUX
- Accessibility – Accessible for wheelchairs or has car seats readily available
- Carpool – UberPOOL
- After choosing your ride, complete your request by tapping ‘Confirm’. Voila! Your Uber driver will then be on their way to pick you up. You will receive a notification through the app once your driver has arrived at your pickup location.
How Does Uber Work For Drivers?
Being an Uber driver means being your own boss. That is if you are driving your own vehicle. You control your time and earn as much as you can–all at the comfort of your own car.
If you want to be an Uber Driver, you have to meet the following requirements:
- At least 21 years old
- Valid driver’s license for at least a year
- Own or have access to a good-condition 4-door vehicle (However, actual model and year will vary by city and car service)
- Have a valid car insurance
- No major criminal history
If you meet all of the requirements, you are eligible to apply to become a driver. Uber will then email more information on how to get started.
How Does Uber Work on The Safety of its Drivers and Riders
Whether you’re a driver or a rider, your safety is important to Uber.
- One of the best features of Uber is their driver profiles. After confirming the ride, the riders get to see the driver’s name, photo, license plate number, and rating.
- During the trip, you can monitor your location. If you are on UberPool, you get to see who is riding with you. You can even share your ETA with your family or friends.
- Uber is still there for you even after your trip. You can rate your driver and provide anonymous feedback about your trip. They can even help you retrieve items you have left in the vehicle. Uber has a 24/7 customer service to cater the rider’s needs.
- Drivers get to know who they are picking up. Through a special technology, the rider and driver’s phone numbers are anonymized to keep confidentiality.
- While on the trip, drivers are provided with turn-by-turn directions. Accountability and good behavior are promoted by logging the GPS data for every trip.
- Drivers also get to rate their riders. Those who violate Uber’s terms may be banned from using the service.
- Lastly, Uber’s 24/7 support is also available for drivers for any driving-related questions or concerns they may have.
Watch this instructional video and find out how Uber works:
Uber is a technology platform designed to fulfill both the passenger and driver’s needs. It’s considered more convenient and comfortable when compared to taxi cabs. Their customer service is available 24/7 and does not stop after you exit the vehicle.
What do you think about Uber’s services? Let us know in the comments below!