What is UberX? Nowadays, it’s synonymous with safe, affordable, and on-demand transport. With the prevalence of UberX cars on the streets today, it’s worth knowing what exactly they are and what they offer.
What is UberX | All Questions Answered
UberX vs. Other Uber Services
Depending on where a rider is, the Uber app has a couple of options available. UberX is the basic offering, a car that comfortably seats four people. It’s the middle-ground option for riders. Uber also offers the following options:
- UberXL – a 6-seater SUV or minivan, costs slightly more than UberX.
- UberSelect – a 4-seater luxury car (think Mercedes, Audi, BMW) perfect for executives.
- UberPOOL – an UberX car shared with strangers; pay way less for a space in the 4-seater car, book a maximum of 2 slots, cheapest Uber service available.
- UberBLACK/UberSUV – a luxury sedan in black, complete with leather interiors and a driver in formal attire; designed for VIPs, most expensive Uber service available
Now, on to the commonly-asked questions.
1. How Much Does It Cost?
Took 3 UberX rides today.
Totaled 33 minutes.
Cost a total of $10.61
How does this company expect to make a profit?
— Ryan Morris (@RyanMorris55) June 28, 2017
A lot of people who are apprehensive about trying Uber out are scared that it might be too expensive. What does an Uber rate consist of?
- Base fare
- Cost per mile
- Booking fee
- Cost per minute
- Surge pricing (only if there’s high demand)
The formula is:
Base Fare + (Cost per minute * time in ride) + (Cost per mile * ride distance) * Surge multiplier + Booking Fee = Your Fare
There’s no need to use a calculator every time: one can use the Uber calculator to check the prices way ahead of the trip, or simply check the rate before booking.
2. What is the UberX Seating Capacity?
It’s four. Strict and unyielding. Some passengers try to bargain and plead with a driver to squeeze in an extra person, but your driver won’t hesitate to turn a passenger down. Overloading is a violation of the law.
3. Can I Let My Child Use UberX?
It depends on how old the child is. While the idea of UberSchoolService might appeal to some, children under the age of 13 must always be accompanied by a guardian. Teenagers aged 13 – 17 may ride unsupervised using a Teen account connected to a Family Profile.
4. What Should I Remember When Using UberX?
A rider can be banned from using the app. Uber is quite strict on enforcing the following rules:
- Physical contact with the driver: flirting, touching, or hitting a driver or a fellow passenger is strictly prohibited.
- Use of inappropriate and abusive language is grounds for complaint.
- Do not damage the car or a fellow passenger’s property. Spilling drinks or food in the car, smoking, and vomiting due to inebriation are offenses that could merit a ban.
- Do not try to contact the driver after the trip.
- Unlawful activities are prohibited inside the car. Do not ask your driver to break the law (e.g., exceed speed limits).
- Firearms are not allowed inside the vehicle.
- Abusing promotions is also grounds for a ban.
5. What Is the UberX Advantage?
UberX offers a clean, secure ride for reasonable rates. If the question pertains to the advantages of UberX over other services, it’s this: it’s the epitome of what Uber has to offer. UberX is a clean, safe, and exclusive ride for a rate that won’t break the bank.
UberX | Tips and Tricks
1. Share Your ETA With Friends
To share ETA, swipe up on the app screen and tap Send Status. Key in the contact details of up to 5 friends/family members, who will receive an SMS with the trip details.
2. Schedule a Ride in Advance
Tap the icon located to the right of “Where to.” Input the trip details and schedule. Trips can be scheduled up to 30 days in advance.
3. Jam With Your Driver
A passenger using Apple’s iOS can now play songs from Spotify or Pandora in their driver’s car. Set up Uber’s music feature here.
4. Split the Fare with Friends
Click the “Split fare” button on the bottom of the app screen. Key in the number or name of the rider to split fares with.
New passenger? Learn the importance of a 5-star rating by watching this video by UberMikeSoCal below:
UberX is one of the biggest technological innovations of our generation. It’s worth a try! The convenience and safety offered by it might just be the change that a commuter needs.
Uber drivers and seasoned passengers, what is the most important thing a newbie passenger should understand? Share your answers in the comment box below.