- Enterprise CarShare offers hourly or daily rentals via a membership-based app.
- Costs vary by vehicle type, rental duration, and location, including fees for extra services.
- The service includes gas, insurance, and parking but requires users to cover tolls and tickets.
- Real user experiences mix, with some praising affordability and convenience, others noting vehicle issues.
Enterprise Carshare, as we know it today, started in 2005 when it was an operation under the Enterprise Rent-A-Car umbrella. In 2007, it evolved into the local provider WeCar by Enterprise, then in 2013, it became the Enterprise CarShare program.
Specializing in short-term rentals, this car-sharing service allows its members to rent by the hour or the day. Unlike long-term car rentals, Enterprise CarShare offers a convenient solution for those who need temporary access to private transportation.
The flexibility of the program paired with the various vehicle options has many people considering renting with it.
Our guide will help understand how Enterprise CarShare works, its cost structure, and the sign-up process. We’ll also walk you through using its cars from start to finish and shed light on previous user experiences.
- How Enterprise CarShare Works
- Cost and Payment Structure
- What’s Included in a Rental
- Customer Service and Support
- Types of Cars Available
- Signing Up and Booking Process
- Using the Car: From Pickup to Return
- Real User Experiences
- Analysis: Is Enterprise CarShare Worth It?
- Conclusion: Making an Informed Decision
- Frequently Asked Questions
Available in over 10,000 locations across the US, Canada, and the UK, Enterprise CarShare is a short-term vehicle rental program. It supports renting by the day, the hour, or overnight through a membership-based system.
To join the program, you’ll need to apply for a membership . Once you receive approval via email with your member ID, you can rent a car using the designated app.
You’ll select a car class and type, then enter the details of the pickup and drop-off locations most convenient to you. You’ll also set a rental period, which must be at least one hour.
In general, the longest you can rent a vehicle with Enterprise CarShare is seven days. However, if you need more days, call Member Services and a support agent can help set it up for you.
After following the directions and arriving at the pickup location of your vehicle, the process works as follows:
- You use the app to unlock the vehicle.
- You check the car, find the key, and then start your trip.
- After your trip is complete, you drive the car to the drop-off location and return the key.
- Use the app to lock the car. Now the vehicle is available for the next customer who repeats the same steps.
Cost and Payment Structure
If you’re interested in trying Enterprise Carshare’s service, chances are you want to first get an idea of how much it would cost you.
As helpful as a price list would be, it’s impossible to share one. The cost of a rental varies depending on multiple aspects, making every ride unique in its requirements and expenses .
These factors include:
- The type/class of the car
- The length of your rental period
- The area where you’re renting
- Modifying or extending the reservation
- Changing the drop-off location of your rental
- Adding vehicle equipment (such as child seats or GPS)
- Adding liability protection or physical protection products
What’s possible, however, is to outline the payment structure for renting with Enterprise Carshare.
Fees and Rates
For starters, there’s a $15-25 fee to apply for a membership that covers the processing costs. The exact amount to pay depends on your location.
There may be an annual membership fee if you choose certain subscription plans. This typically ranges between $40 and $50.
Beyond the applications and potential annual membership fees, there’s a rate for rental vehicles based on the car’s class/type. The total cost of the rental also factors in the duration of your reservation and the estimated number of miles you’ll be driving.
Each car type is available at an hourly rate and a daily rate. These rates can also vary depending on the time of day and the day of the week.
The average rate for Economy vehicles is $9 per day and $90 per day. Peak hours of the day, weekends, and holidays have a higher rate than average.
There are also fees for driving more than 200 miles per day, insurance/damage protection, and late drop-offs.
What’s Included in a Rental
When you book a vehicle with Enterprise CarShare, some items are included in the fees/rates while others are add-ons. Here are the main expenses to consider:
- Gas: While members are responsible for filling the gas tank before returning their car, the company covers the cost. You can refuel using the gas card provided in the vehicle as you’d a regular credit card. Swipe the card at the pump and place it back to where you found it.
- Parking: Members are responsible for covering any parking costs during their rental period. Enterprise CarShare provides free parking spots in select locations, so be sure to check your relevant location page.
- Mileage: Enterprise CarShare’s algorithm estimates the number of miles you’ll be covering during your trip. It factors this calculation into the vehicle’s rate, and members who drive more miles pay a per-mile fee. This additional cost depends on your location and vehicle class/type.
- Liability and Physical Damage Protection: There’s basic automobile insurance as part of the vehicle’s rate. However, the amount of coverage varies across plan levels and even by state. Members may purchase additional protection or insurance to cover each trip or even an entire year.
- Traffic Tickets: It’s the responsibility of members to pay for all traffic tickets they get while renting a car. This includes parking tickets.
- Tolls: Members are also responsible for paying all tolls they pass while driving a rental on toll roads.
Customer Service and Support
Enterprise CarShare is diligent about providing members with technical and general support. Agents are available around the clock any day of the week, and you reach them through two channels:
- Phone at 1-877-599-3227
- Email by filling out a form.
They also have a handy FAQs section available to cover most questions that members ask. They even outline how you should handle certain critical situations, including;
Vehicle Breakdown: If your rental car breaks down or has a flat tire during the reservation period, you should call Member Services right away. They, in response, will dispatch the service’s roadside assistance 24-hour team.
Vehicle Damage: If you happen to damage the vehicle during the reservation period, you should contact Member Services to report the issue(s) as soon as possible.
This ensures your safety on the road and prevents additional expenses or damage. Don’t try to fix the car; an agent will contact you after assessing the situation to discuss how to proceed.
Accidents: If you get into an accident while driving a rental vehicle, you should:
- Remain calm and stay on the scene. If you can still operate the car, move out of traffic and turn off the engine.
- Call 911 and report the situation.
- Call and alert Member Services.
- In case of towing, make sure to obtain a Tow Slip Number.
Types of Cars Available
Enterprise offers various vehicle classes that you can rent through CarShare depending on your budget and transportation needs. These include:
This car class consists of economy, full-size, and luxury sedans. They’re suitable for various applications, from fuel efficiency to high-end style .
It’s further divided into the following types of cars (among others):
- Standard cars such as the Volkswagen Jetta
- Midsize cars such as the Toyota Corolla
- Economy cars such as the Mitsubishi Mirage
- Compact cars such as the Nissan Versa
- Full-size cars such as the Chevy Malibu
This type of car offers easier group transportation and extra comfort during road trips. SUVs also provide a range of power, capacity, and luggage room, with multiple classes to pick from, including:
- Standard SUVs such as the Ford Edge
- Midsize SUVs such as the Nissan Rogue
- Compact SUVs such as the Nissan Kicks
- Full-size SUVs such as the Chevrolet Tahoe
When your trip calls for more features and comfort , Enterprise CarShare’s luxury vehicle options include:
- Standard Elite cars such as the BMW 228i Gran Coupe
- Premium cars such as the Nissan Maxima
- Full-size Elite cars such as the Audi A5 Sportback
- Luxury cars such as the BMW 3 Series or Audi A4
- Luxury SUVs such as the Infiniti QX80
To enjoy better fuel efficiency with less impact on the environment , you can opt for one of the following hybrid car types:
- Standard Hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius
- Full-size Hybrid vehicles such as the Ford Fusion Hybrid
Available in certain locations, here are some environmentally friendly vehicle options you can choose from:
- Intermediate Electric cars such as the Nissan LEAF
- Electric Luxury Sedan cars such as the Tesla Model S
Pickups and Cargo Vans
For your hauling and moving needs, Enterprise CarShare’s fleet includes cargo and pickup trucks such as the Nissan NV200, Chevrolet Express Cargo, and Chevrolet Colorado.
Signing Up and Booking Process
To join Enterprise Carshare as a customer, start by applying either through the app or the desktop website. Age restrictions for renting vary by location and program, so 19-year-old drivers should check their local laws and program details.
After approval, you’ll receive an email containing your unique member ID . The next step is to log into your account using your membership ID and password (you’ll set that up when logging in).
To make a reservation, you need to go online via the Enterprise Carshare app or website. Input your area and choose from the list of cars nearby. The minimum time to book beforehand is one hour.
Once the reservation is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email that contains directions to get to the vehicle and other details.
If you want to cancel a booking, you should do it at least three hours before your reserved time slot. This saves you from paying a fee and boosts availability for other members.
Using the Car: From Pickup to Return
After following the directions and reaching the pickup location, you’ll use the mobile phone app to unlock the vehicle . Tap on “Unlock & Drive” to unlock the doors and locate the handy checklist manual.
Once you check the car for exterior and interior damage, find the key to turn on the ignition. The key should be inside the glove box in a holder. You’ll use the key to lock and unlock the vehicle from this point , so make sure you hold onto it.
When you finish your trip, drive the car to the drop-off location. Then, put the key back in its original place.
Make sure all your belongings are out of the vehicle before using the app to lock it. You won’t be able to access the car once you end the trip on your phone.
Real User Experiences
It’s easy to see why Enterprise CarShare would be one of the top-rated rental car companies, but what do real customers think?
On Yelp, the program has a modest rating of 1.5 stars from 86 reviews.
Those who had a good experience were impressed by the affordable prices and availability compared to competitors. Some also praised the ease of fueling and the cleanliness of the cars.
However, customers who didn’t have the best experience pointed out vehicles in poor condition. Some also complained about the billing being unclear.
On Reddit, the general sentiment is more positive as more users recommend Enterprise CarShare.
Enterprise Carshare is a generally cost-effective option for private transport. It can be a more affordable and practical alternative to owning, especially for those who drive on occasion.
The program operates tens of thousands of vehicles, making availability less of a problem compared to competitors like Communauto. However, Zipcar has more cars, which makes it more likely to find a vehicle when you need one.
One area where Enterprise Carshare has both competitors beat is prices. It offers lower rates most of the time , which serves the main interest of being a budget-friendly and convenient service.
Conclusion: Making an Informed Decision
Enterprise Carshare is a membership-based service that you can benefit from if you’re interested in renting vehicles short-term. Its operation relies on car sharing, meaning that different people use the same car at different times.
If you occasionally need a vehicle to run errands, visit family, or even move some furniture, consider this program. It provides private, convenient rides at affordable rates, but you should keep an eye out for availability and cost structure.
So, be sure to go through our guide to decide if it suits your specific transportation needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few common questions that you may be wondering about Enterprise Carshare:
Is Enterprise an Uber Partner?
No, Enterprise and Uber are not partners. You can, however, find a rental car through Uber partners such as Avis, Hertz, Getaround, and KINTO. They offer low rates and their vehicles meet Uber’s inspection standards, so you can start driving right after closing the deal.
What is an Economy Car from Enterprise?
These are small vehicles with high fuel efficiency, perfect for city driving, maneuvering through traffic, and parking in tight spaces. They’re available at lower rates and can seat up to four passengers ( bigger than a Compact car). The Mitsubishi Mirage is an example of Enterprise’s Economy car class.