- HopSkipDrive provides safe rides for unaccompanied minors by vetted caregivers.
- Services include individual, recurring rides, and carpools, with real-time tracking.
- Strict driver requirements ensure safety; drivers must be 23+ with childcare experience.
- Available in select U.S. regions, offering solutions for families and schools.
- What is HopSkipDrive?
- Is HopSkipDrive Safe?
- How Much Does HopSkipDrive Cost?
- How HopSkipDrive Works for Families
- HopSkipDrive for Schools
- Help Your Child Take on the World
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is HopSkipDrive?
HopSkipDrive is a rideshare service designed specifically for transporting unaccompanied minors, addressing the needs of busy families.
Founded in 2015 by three working moms, the platform offers a safe and reliable transportation solution for children to get to and from home, school, day camps, and after-school activities.
The service is currently available in California and parts of Colorado and Virginia, with plans for expansion. HopSkipDrive provides three main services:
- Individual Rides: Allows scheduling of one-time rides up to eight days in advance or as late as the evening before for next-morning trips, with costs based on distance and time, plus a booking fee.
- Recurring Rides: Enables families to preset schedules for regular transportation needs, such as school or activities, with the same cost structure as individual rides.
- Carpools: Offers the option to share rides with trusted families, reducing costs by up to 60%.
Safety is a top priority; drivers, called CareDrivers, are thoroughly vetted. The service includes features like real-time updates and a Safe Ride Support team monitoring rides for additional security.
Booking a ride involves a straightforward process through the HopSkipDrive app, where users can manage ride details and payment.
Suggested: Other “Uber for kids” services to consider
Is HopSkipDrive Safe?
Yes, HopSkipDrive is designed with safety as its top priority, employing several measures to ensure the security and well-being of its passengers.
The service distinguishes itself from traditional rideshare companies through rigorous requirements for its drivers, known as CareDrivers, including:
- Being 23 years or older
- Having a minimum of five years of childcare experience
- Passing comprehensive background checks (including fingerprinting, criminal record, and driving record checks)
- Completing a medical exam
- Attending an in-person orientation
Vehicles used for HopSkipDrive must meet strict standards similar to other rideshare services, such as being newer than 10 years, having four doors, and passing a 19-point inspection.
The service enforces a 15-point certification process for drivers, ensuring they are reliable and trustworthy caregivers.
Additional safety features include real-time ride tracking, distinctive bright orange uniforms for drivers, vehicle flags for easy identification, and a secret password system to prevent impersonation.
Parents receive alerts throughout the ride, from pickup to drop-off, and the platform monitors driving behavior to maintain high safety standards.
Related: How HopSkipDrive compares to Zum
How Much Does HopSkipDrive Cost?
HopSkipDrive’s cost varies based on time and mileage, similar to other rideshare services like Uber and Lyft.
However, the platform offers an estimated fare feature to give you an idea of the cost before booking. This estimate considers potential traffic but provides a reasonable expectation of the expense.
For a more specific quote, HopSkipDrive’s fare estimator tool allows you to input pickup and drop-off addresses, the time of pickup, and any required stops to see costs in your area.
Currently, service areas include Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Denver, Colorado Front Range area.
To reduce expenses, HopSkipDrive offers a carpooling option, allowing savings of up to 60% on ride costs, although each child in the carpool must have parental consent.
Do You Tip HopShipDrive Drivers?
Tipping is not expected or encouraged for HopSkipDrive CareDrivers, as they earn substantial hourly wages directly from the company. While CareDrivers do not rely on tips for their income, HopSkipDrive has no rule against tipping.
Although in-app tipping is not available, you can still tip your CareDriver in person for exceptional service or out of generosity.
How HopSkipDrive Works for Families
HopSkipDrive caters to a wide range of passengers, starting with a minimum age requirement of six years old and no maximum age limit, making it a versatile option for families and seniors requiring special care or transportation.
The service is designed for parents needing reliable transport for their children to school, camps, lessons, sporting events, and practices, with the provision of booster seats for younger passengers.
Scheduling a ride with HopSkipDrive is straightforward:
- Rides can be scheduled up to 8 hours before the desired pickup time, or for the next morning if booked by 7 PM the night before.
- Both one-time and recurring rides can be booked, with the option to set rides to repeat for regular activities.
- The service accommodates multiple stops for families with more than one child needing to go to different locations, with a limit of four children per ride.
Reviews from Families
So what do parents think about the service? Do they like it? Do they trust it? Are they actually using it?
Check out some of these Yelp reviews from parents who have hired a CareDriver:
One parent from Los Angeles writes:
“For the most part, it has been a seamless experience. We did have one time where the driver arrived late, but I was given updates that let me know that she would be late.”
A parent from Walnut Creek, CA says:
“We’ve been using HopSkipDrive for almost three years, with dozens of rides for my daughter, who was eight when we started…We’ve been very happy with the service and I’ve recommended them to several friends.”
Another (admittedly anxious) California parent writes:
“…The idea of my kid getting into a car with a stranger didn’t exactly sound like a great solution…But I am happy to report that this has been a wonderful service that I now use regularly!”
HopSkipDrive for Schools
HopSkipDrive extends its services beyond families to include schools, school districts, charter schools, private schools, and other organizations, offering a reliable transportation solution for students.
This service is particularly beneficial for:
- Students who live outside the regular school bus routes.
- Students with limited access to transportation, enabling them to participate in activities.
- Charter and private schools, providing safe transportation for students who reside far from the school, potentially increasing school enrollment.
- Nonprofits, counties, and other entities, assisting homeless and foster youth in getting to school safely and efficiently, avoiding the complexities of public transportation.
HopSkipDrive partners with these educational and community organizations to ensure all students have access to safe and convenient transportation to and from school and related activities.
Help Your Child Take on the World
When your child explores the world by attending after-school activities, birthday parties, and more, they’ll thank their superhero parent for teaching them how to navigate the world.
By using HopSkipDrive, you can ensure that your child is in safe hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is HopSkipDrive available?
HopSkipDrive operates in various U.S. locations, including Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area), Southern California (Los Angeles and Orange County), Colorado (Denver and Colorado Springs), Virginia (Arlington and Fairfax), and Washington, D.C.
Can I request a car seat for my child?
No, HopSkipDrive only provides booster seats for children who meet the minimum age for riding alone. If a parent is accompanying the child, the parent is welcome to bring a car seat, but CareDrivers are not allowed to assist in installing or uninstalling the car seat.
How much do HopSkipDrive drivers make?
CareDrivers can make up to $32 per hour, according to the company’s estimations. The exact number depends on the amount of rides you accept when setting your schedule, but you can definitely expect to earn far more than a typical rideshare driver, whose earnings are extremely close to minimum wage in some states.