If you enjoy traveling while having minimal contact with people, why not get paid to do it?
If you like to be in charge of yourself at work, consider applying for Amazon Flex.
This article will tell you how to qualify to become an Amazon Flex driver, how to apply, and what to expect during a criminal history check. We will also address some questions that applicants have regarding Amazon Flex jobs.
- Key Takeaways
- What is the Amazon Flex Background Check?
- Who Conducts Amazon Flex Background Checks?
- What Does an Amazon Flex Background Check Look For?
- How Long Do Amazon Background Checks Take?
- Amazon Flex Background Check Process
- How Do I Know if I Passed My Amazon Flex Background Check?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
- Every potential Amazon Flex driver (or “delivery partner”) is required to undergo a background check before they can start making deliveries.
- The check covers both criminal history and driving records to ensure safety and reliability.
- Major traffic violations, DUIs, violent crimes, or theft can often disqualify an individual from becoming a delivery partner.
- Once initiated, background checks typically take a few days to a couple of weeks. Applicants receive notifications about their status and any potential issues that arise.
What is the Amazon Flex Background Check?
The Amazon Flex background check is a mandatory check that every potential Amazon Flex driver (or “delivery partner”) is required to undergo a background check before they can start making deliveries.
Similar to a UPS personal vehicle driver, Amazon Flex is a program through which Amazon that pays independent drivers to distribute packages to customers using their personal vehicles.
Since they are oftentimes in close contact with customers, the company wants to ensure that their workforce can be trusted.
Who Conducts Amazon Flex Background Checks?
Amazon uses a third-party agency called Accurate Background that performs the background check.
The FCRA, or Fair Credit Reporting Act, limits what a background check report can contain.
For example, no negative marks (civic suits, judgment, arrest records, tax liens, or other offenses) older than seven years or bankruptcies greater than ten years old can be on that list.
What Does an Amazon Flex Background Check Look For?
The Amazon Flex background check is a two-step process that covers both criminal history and driving records to ensure safety and reliability.
It will scour up to seven years of your personal history, looking for red flags like criminal activity such as prior theft or violence. Even if you committed a crime seven years ago, it will probably show up.
The second part of the process checks your driving record for any moving violations or other citations. Depending on the offense, you may or may not be eligible to drive.
Common Causes of Disqualification
- Violent Crimes: Convictions related to assaults, robberies, or any other violent crimes, especially recent ones, may be a disqualifying factor.
- Theft and Property Crimes: Given that Flex drivers handle customers’ packages, convictions related to theft, burglary, or other property crimes can be concerning.
- Sexual Offenses: Convictions like sexual assaults or offenses that require registration as a sex offender would likely be disqualifying.
- Other Felonies: Other major felony convictions might also disqualify an applicant, especially if they’re recent.
- Serious Traffic Violations: Major infractions, such as DUI/DWI (driving under the influence/driving while intoxicated) convictions, can be disqualifying, especially if they are recent.
- Numerous Moving Violations: Multiple recent moving violations, such as speeding tickets or reckless driving charges, may raise concerns about the applicant’s driving habits.
- License Suspension: Having a driver’s license that was recently or is currently suspended or revoked.
- Accident History: A history of multiple at-fault accidents could raise concerns about driving safety.
- Fraudulent or Inaccurate Information: Providing false information or omitting relevant information during the application process can lead to disqualification. Amazon values integrity and honesty in its associates and contractors.
- Drug-related offenses: Depending on the nature and recency, drug-related convictions might disqualify an applicant, especially if they relate to distribution or trafficking.
- Terrorism or Weapons-related Offenses: Convictions related to terrorism, weapons offenses, or other major threats to public safety can be disqualifying.
How Long Do Amazon Background Checks Take?
How long it takes for a background check may depend on your history.
If you have no prior theft charges, it will probably take two to five days for your criminal history check to finalize. If you have any outstanding offenses to search, Accurate Background may take longer to finish.
Your Flex app will alert you when your results are ready. If it seems to be taking too long, you can check the status of your report after five days.
Amazon Flex Background Check Process
Before Amazon can initiate a background check, you must provide explicit consent. This is a legal requirement to ensure that applicants are aware that their personal information will be used for the purpose of conducting a background check.
During the Amazon Flex application process, you’ll encounter a page or section where you’ll be informed about the background check.
You’ll typically be required to read through a disclosure and then check a box or sign electronically to indicate your consent. Make sure you understand what you’re consenting to, and if you have any concerns, address them before proceeding.
3. Providing Necessary Details
To conduct a background check, Amazon Flex will require specific personal details to accurately pull records.
Enter personal details like your full name, date of birth, Social Security Number (or the equivalent in non-U.S. countries), and driver’s license details. Ensure that all the information you provide is accurate and up-to-date to prevent unnecessary delays or discrepancies.
4. Criminal History Check
This check is to identify any past criminal convictions. Amazon aims to ensure that Flex drivers can be trusted to handle customers’ packages and operate in a safe and trustworthy manner.
No direct action is needed from you at this stage unless Amazon Flex contacts you about discrepancies or potential issues. It’s important to note that while some convictions might be a cause for concern, not all criminal records will disqualify you.
5. Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) Check
Since the job involves driving, Amazon Flex reviews applicants’ driving histories.
Again, no direct action is needed from you during this check. However, be aware that factors such as multiple recent moving violations, major accidents, or severe offenses (e.g., DUI/DWI) might affect your eligibility.
6. Duration & Waiting
Background checks can vary in length based on several factors, including the responsiveness of agencies or databases consulted and the clarity of the records found.
Patience is key here. While waiting, you can periodically check your application status through the Amazon Flex app or portal. However, reaching out too frequently can be counterproductive.
7. Notification & Results
Once the background check is complete, Amazon Flex will inform you of the results. If approved, you can proceed with the onboarding process.
If there are discrepancies or potential issues on the report, you might be contacted to provide additional information or context.
In some cases, you may be given a copy of the report and an opportunity to correct any inaccuracies before a final decision is made.
How Do I Know if I Passed My Amazon Flex Background Check?
If you pass the background check, when you look in the app you will find a green check mark indicating you are clear. You may also receive a message welcoming you to Amazon Flex.
In addition to your background check, you will have to complete these other tasks:
- Video training
- Tax information
- Bank account information for direct deposit
Once boarded, you should be able to start scheduling your deliveries. You let Amazon know when you are available, and they will schedule your “blocks or shifts.”
You decide whether to accept the block, and the type and time of your shift should determine your pay.
There are different kinds of orders that come with the various Amazon delivery driver jobs available to applicants. Whether your vehicle is small or large, you can still make those deliveries.
- Amazon.com: You will drive packages from the local delivery facility to your customers’ homes. These types of deliveries require larger vehicles, such as your van, SUV, or pickup truck with a canopy.
- Prime Now and Amazon Fresh: Amazon Fresh groceries and household items will be available for you to pick from local stores and transport to a customer. For Prime-Now orders, a four-door sedan should be sufficient for these kinds of deliveries. Most Prime-Now orders are in bags.
- Amazon Restaurants: As a driver, you will pick up an order from a restaurant and take it to the patron. A small vehicle is fine for this kind of delivery.
- Amazon Locker: You deliver packages to an electronic locker that opens when you scan them.
- Merchant Packages: You pick up store orders from a business merchant instead of the distribution center.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the questions that interested job seekers most likely ask.
Why Does Amazon Flex Background Check Contractors?
Amazon wants to make sure you are trustworthy to deliver packages that may contain valuable merchandise. You must consent to a criminal record check to qualify.
Does Amazon Flex Hire Felons?
No. You cannot become a driver if you have a felony on your record within the last seven years.
You could contact Amazon to see if you can qualify for other positions. You may be able to work with a history of a misdemeanor, depending on the offense.
Related: Does DoorDash hire felons?
Why is My Background Check for Amazon Flex Taking So Long?
It may depend on your personal history. You may need to contact Accurate Background to find out what could be causing the delay.
Does Amazon Flex Drug Test?
Most of the assignments through Amazon require a drug test, but the type of testing may depend on location.
Is the Amazon Flex Background Check Similar to That of Uber and Lyft?
Yes. It is the standard for most industries.
As you can see, the Amazon Flex background check is a critical component of the onboarding process of Amazon Flex drivers. Not only does this step help to ensure the quality of their package delivery network, but it also helps keep customers safe.
Do you have experience with Amazon Flex background checks? Let us know in the comments below.