- Waitr, now ASAP, offers flexible driving opportunities in over 1,000 cities.
- Requirements include a valid license, reliable car, insurance, smartphone, weekend availability, and pass a background check.
- Apply via ASAP’s website, download the driver app, and provide necessary documents.
- Average earnings around $16/hour, influenced by work hours, availability, tips, and app rating.
- An Overview of the ASAP (Formerly Waiter) Driver Role
- What Are the Requirements for a Waitr Driver Position?
- How to Apply to Become a Waitr (ASAP) Driver
- How Much Can You Realistically Earn as a Waitr (ASAP) Driver?
- What to Expect as a Waitr (ASAP) Driver
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
An Overview of the ASAP (Formerly Waiter) Driver Role
Are you looking for a quick way to make some extra cash? You should consider signing up to become a Waitr driver.
The delivery service is available in over 1,000 cities across the United States and plans to expand.
As part of the expansion plans, Waitr rebranded to ASAP in 2022, with a vision to provide more opportunities for drivers and go beyond delivering food to a new ‘deliver anything as soon as possible (ASAP)’ business model.
Waitr promises to keep you busy earning a decent side income, whether you work full-time or part-time, because of its large footprint as the fourth most popular delivery provider in the United States.
What Are the Requirements for a Waitr Driver Position?
To apply for Waitr, make sure you meet these requirements:
- Have a valid driving license
- Own a reliable car
- Have insurance coverage for your vehicle
- Purchase or have a high-quality smartphone (iOS or Android)
- Commit to working one weekend shift each week (Choose between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- Pass a thorough background check
- The car must pass any inspection required by the company and the state
If you don’t meet these requirements, working on them before the application is advisable.
Note: Regarding the car, the rule of thumb is to purchase a fuel-efficient car that can minimize your expenses and increase profit.
See our list of best gas mileage cars to determine if your vehicle will be right for the gig.
How to Apply to Become a Waitr (ASAP) Driver
Follow these steps to become a Waitr driver:
1. Start the Application
Visit ASAP’s official website. The home page will prompt you for your contact phone number so that ASAP can send the link to download the app on your phone.
2. Download the ASAP Driver App
Download the app. You’ll notice the app is now called Driver by WAITR. Before the rebrand, it was known as WAITR.
Waitr specifies that you need to have an iOS or Android device to receive the link.
Like most delivery apps, the driver app is where you’ll accept, claim, and get details about your orders. Without a smartphone, this isn’t possible.
3. Apply to Drive
At this point, you simply need to complete the rest of the required steps.
Follow the instructions by providing all the required documents and consenting to a background check.
If the company approves of your application and all the documents are in order, they’ll give you a go-ahead. You can start delivering for Waitr (ASAP) as a driver.
If not, the organization will ask you to perform several actions to verify your identity.
How Much Can You Realistically Earn as a Waitr (ASAP) Driver?
Indeed shows that ASAP drivers earn as much as $20 per hour. The average is about $16/hour, but some drivers earn as little as $5.
Your earnings are dependent on:
- How Many Hours You Work Per Day: ASAP allows drivers to have flexible schedules. Still, you’ll earn more if you work full-time (8-12 hours per day).
- Your Availability: Waitr requires you to commit to one-weekend shift weekly because weekends are the busiest. If you can work more than a one-weekend shift or during holidays, you’re likely to make more than other drivers.
- The Tips You Receive: Tips depend on the customer, and there isn’t much you can do to increase them. That said, being personable and having good communication skills will go a long way in persuading customers to give you large tips.
- Your Rating on the App: You build your rating by being detail-oriented and consistent, providing timely deliveries, and avoiding complaints. The better your rating, the more you earn because you’ll automatically get high-earning deliveries.
It is worth noting that the term “Estimated Earnings” is used by ASAP to estimate driver pay. This can confuse some drivers.
Unlike DoorDash, which specifies a minimum earning for each delivery, Waitr’s earnings seem less predictable, and drivers usually have some concern about potentially earning less than the estimated amount.
It would be nice to see ASAP modify this to be a little bit more clear, which would help eliminate confusion among drivers.
What to Expect as a Waitr (ASAP) Driver
Here’s what to expect before working as a Waitr driver:
As a Driver, Food Is Only One of the Items You’ll Deliver
After the rebrand, Waitr inked several deals to launch the delivery of other items such as alcohol, vehicle parts, home appliances, luxury apparel, and sporting goods.
To distinguish yourself, you can opt to target some of these goods. For example, you can purchase a covered truck with enough room to facilitate the safe delivery of large home appliances like microwaves and refrigerators.
This will give you an advantage because most home appliance deliveries will default to you or the few other drivers with appropriate vehicles.
In-Venue Deliveries at the Met-Life Stadium Are a Possibility
ASAP also signed an agreement with the New York Jets, New York Giants, and New Orleans Saints for in-venue deliveries at the Met-life Stadium.
If you’re a driver who lives in this region, making sure you’re near the stadium whenever these teams are playing will guarantee more delivery jobs.
You Might Soon Be Expected to Deliver Cannabis
As part of the rebrand, ASAP is working on launching cannabis delivery. It announced it expects to begin these services in Canada by the end of 2023.
As soon as the service launches in the US, it’ll allow drivers to make a sufficient side income. The Medical and Recreational Marijuana industry is growing and, as of the end of 2023, was worth $22.6 billion in the United States.
Benefits Aren’t Part of the Package
ASAP treats drivers as contract workers, not employees. Contract workers aren’t entitled to full-time benefits, such as health insurance or 401k.
Brett’s Take: Thoughts From an Expert
First off, the referral bonus system for ASAP is far less lucrative than others.
The main complaint is that there isn’t a lot of information about delivery destinations before accepting orders. In addition, drivers also believe the interface to be fairly clunky.
As for actually doing the work, the ASAP completion policy is a bit confusing to me.
In comparison to DoorDash, where a minimum acceptance rate is required to avoid deactivation, Waitr’s policy on this matter is less clear to the drivers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What App do Waitr Drivers Use?
Waitr drivers use the Driver App by Waitr. The app is one of ASAP’s new registered trademarks.
What Happened to the Waitr App?
After the rebranding from Waitr to ASAP, the Waitr app was replaced with the Driver app by Waitr. Drivers should now download Driver using the link that ASAP sends to your phone as soon as you request it.
Why Does Waitr Insist on iOS or Android Device?
The operating system (OS) on iOS and Android devices provides adequate security. Also, the Driver app is specifically built for these two operating systems.
The delivery market offers a choice of providers, and you can work for any of them as a driver.
You should apply for Waitr (ASAP) because an organization that’s always evolving with market demands tends to have unique profit-generating opportunities.