Most new cars nowadays have built-in backup cameras.
In fact, ALL new cars will have to have backup cameras as a standard feature, starting in the 2019 model year.
But, there’s obviously a ton of older vehicles out there that don’t have any sort of backup assistance camera.
Owners of these vehicles will need to add an aftermarket option.
While there are a lot of good aftermarket backup cameras, many of them require a separate dashboard-mounted display, which can create some clutter in your vehicle.
One good solution to avoid clutter is to get a car stereo that has a display capable of showing backup cam footage.
That way, everything will be integrated into your radio, making it look and feel like a stock setup directly from the manufacturer.
In this guide, we’ll give recommendations to help our readers find the best car stereo with backup camera.
Table Of Contents
The Best Car Stereo with Backup Camera (Overview)
We’ve included an overview of our top picks below. For detailed information on each pick, scroll down.
Details To Consider When Buying Car Stereo With Backup Camera
Try buying one with built-in navigation:
Not everybody needs a built-in navigation system but choosing whether to get one could consume a lot of time during this purchase.
In case you skip it, you’ll still be able to utilize your phone’s apps, like Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze, for the route.
That gives you extraordinary traffic information, but it uses your phone’s data and battery, ties up the phone’s screen and can end up beating an issue in case you lose cell coverage.
A built-in navigation system, which includes hundreds of dollars to the cost of the stereo and doesn’t rely on reception since it has all of the mapping and points-of-interest information stored within the stereo’s memory.
Satellite radio compatibility: Satellite radio compatibility is vital for anybody who has (or needs to purchase)
Having a CD player can be decent, but with so many ways to tune in to sound through your phone, we didn’t consider one to be fundamental.
Numerous low-priced stereos, called advanced media players, don’t include a disc player.
Video inputs and outputs:
All of the stereos we tested have a video input, so this didn’t impact our choice.
The input lets you connect a backup camera and see its video picture on the display.
A few high-priced stereos also have a second or third input, which lets you also connect a second camera in the front or behind a trailer, or provide a bigger screen for a dashcam.
A few stereos can get HD Radio, which may be a computerized signal that’s broadcast from customary territorial radio stations.
HD Radio can give superior sound quality, but we have blended outcomes with HD Radio reception, and if you’re out of range of the signal, the stereo defaults to normal radio reception.
[aawp table=”13023″ link_id=”5978″]
6 Best Car Stereos with Backup Camera
All of the stereo setups below include the ability to display backup camera footage.
Want to learn more about our process and how we chose the following car stereo with backup camera picks?
Keep reading after this section to find out more about our selection process and what you should look for when choosing your new car radio with backup camera.
1. JVC KW-V130BT
The JVC KW-V130BT is a new product from JVC, a legend in the car audio world.
This setup comes complete with a backup camera that installs above your license plate.
The stereo itself features a 6.2″ display with support for DVD/CD/AM/FM and much more.
And the camera unit is stellar, featuring a 120-degree viewing angle, plus bright LED lights to help you see at night.
Overall, this is perhaps the best car stereo with backup camera that we’ve come across.
- Includes car stereo and separate backup camera
- 6.2″ display
- Stereo supports DVD/VCD/CD/CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA/AAC and more
- Backup camera footage will display automatically when car is in reverse
- Made by JVC, a company with a long track record in the car audio business
- Good reviews
2. Soundstream VIR-7830B
The Soundstream VIR-7830B almost made our pick for best car stereo with backup camera, only barely losing out to the JVC above.
It’s a fantastic product, featuring a nifty fold-out screen, and everything you need to get going is included.
It’s an affordable setup but does not skimp on features.
With support for CD, DVD, MP3, Auxiliary, and more, there’s little that this setup can’t do.
And since it comes with a basic backup camera to install on the rear of your vehicle, there’s no need to shop elsewhere for an expensive camera.
- Includes car stereo and backup camera (installs above license plate)
- Stereo features 7″ fold-out display
- Compatible with CD, DVD, MP3, MP4, AM/FM and more
- Includes Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- Low profile design looks stock once installed
- Good reviews
3. Pioneer AVH-X4700BS
- Dvd/CD receiver with Internal amp (14 watts RMS cea-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming; supports two phones at once
- Siri eyes free with compatible devices
- Built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control -optional adapter required for viewing video content
- Works with SiriusXM Sxv300 tuner—supports new tune mix, traffic & weather now, and sports flash Features
The Pioneer AVH-X4700BS is a nice high-end car stereo and DVD player that comes bundled with a backup camera.
The camera offers a 170-degree wide-angle view but does not have bright lights to help with nighttime illumination.
The stereo itself is great, but the camera is so-so.
- Includes car stereo and backup camera
- Stereo offers 7″ display
- AM/FM/WMA/MP4/MP3/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD compatible
- Camera features night vision but no bright LED lights
- Made by Pioneer, a well-respected name in the car audio world
4. Kenwood DDX9704S
Kenwood is another greatly-reputed stereo brand out there.
They’ve been in commerce for decades, and they’ve aced the craftsmanship of making quality car sound components.
The DDX9704S is one of the most excellent double DIN vehicle stereos with a rear camera that Kenwood ought to offer.
This multimedia wonder was planned with quality in the first hand.
It’s stacked with nearly all the features that you simply can think of including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
This Kenwood stereo has its highlights, a 6.95″ capacitive touchscreen display with 800×480 screen resolution, 9 preset foundation colors, 6 distinctive background/splash screen alternatives, and programmed dimming.
Utilizing the controls on the DDX9704S, you’ll be able to get to your favorite Pandora and Spotify Internet Radio stations from your smartphone.
You can check out the inconceivably profound programming offered by satellite radio by including an extra-cost tuner.
- It has plenty of gadgets and apps
- You have a great selection of music: USB, CD/DVD, Radio FM/AM, Internet Radio, Music Apps
- Has two camera inputs: dash cam and backup camera.
- Under the sunlight, it’s hard to see the screen display.
- 6.95″ LCD Display With LED Backlight
- Integrated HD Radio And Bluetooth
- Supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Optional Satellite Radio Feature
5. JVC KW-V25BT
- CD/MP3 Playback from USB with Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free talking and audio streaming
- Power Output Peak 50 watts x 4 channels RMS 22 watts x 4 channels
- 6 2" WVGA Clear Resistive Touch Monitor MP3 ID3 Tag Display (Title/Artist/Album) AM/FM tuner with 18FM/6AM presets
- Auxiliary Input 13-band Graphic Equalizer Front USB Input Memory Card Input Remote Control Satellite Radio Ready Steering Wheel Control Touchscreen
- 3 Sets of 2 5V preamp outputs (front rear and subwoofer) + XV95BK HD Backup Camera
JVC is the go-to brand for numerous music devotees.
They have a strong presence in various categories counting camcorders, home theater solutions, amplifiers, and car entertainment.
This head unit includes a 6.2″ WVGA touchscreen that’s natural and very simple to utilize and one of the best touch screen radios with backup camera.
It has four buttons and a front-panel USB input on the side for simple access.
The JVC KW-V25BT also comes with Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calls and remote music streaming.
You’ll be able to interface up to two phones to this unit.
JVC KW-V25BT is compatible with SiriusXM tuners.
There’s a rear smaller than expected A/V input, rear-view camera input, and 6-channel preamp outputs.
Furthermore, this head unit has assistant input, front USB input, and memory card input that gives you plenty of options to utilize within your car stereo and if you like radio, you’ll love the options the KW-V25BT has to offer.
- Memory Card Input
- The clear resistive touch panel with high transparency and high luminance provides bright images with vivid colors
- You can have 2 phones connected full time for calls and 5 for music.
- It has a simple installation
- Receiver sometimes restart on it own
- Sometimes the Bluetooth lags
- USB connection for CD/MP3 Playback as well as integrated Bluetooth technology for hands-free calls and constant audio streaming
- 50W power output peak and 22W 4 channels RMS
- WVGA 6.2″ Touch Monitor MP3 with ID3 Tag Display (Title/Artist/Album)
- AM/FM tuner including 18FM/6AM presets
- 13-band Graphic Equalizer Front USB Input Memory Card
- Remote Control & Satellite Radio Capability
- Providing Steering Wheel Control
- XV95BK High Definition Backup Cam + Front rear and Subwoofer
6. Kenwood DDX26BT
- Package: Kenwood DDX26BT (Replacement for DDX23BT & DDX24BT ) + HD Rear View Camera
- DDX26BT: 6. 2 inch Wide VGA Color LCD Display with LED Backlight
- Output power: 50W x 4 (MOSFET power IC)/ RMS power: 22 watts x 4 channels
- Touch panel control/ Bluetooth built-in/ variable key illumination/ multi-language menu/ 3 Preouts (2. 5V)
- Also includes a HD Rear view Camera with 170 degree wide angle
- Included Components: Receiver
In case your budget is tight Kenwood DDX26BT might be an excellent option if you are considering upgrading to a double din receiver.
We are talking about one of the best-priced double din stereos equipped with a backup camera.
The head unit of the product is laid out to provide plenty of possibilities for the user, among them are the Bluetooth, internet radio, cellular phone connection, and low frequency-shaping features that are displayed on a sharp-cut 6.2” touchscreen.
The main unit can provide a double phone connection.
In case you are not the only driver, this model will give you the opportunity to simultaneously combine two phones, so you can switch between two units with a single touch.
Moreover, when the user is streaming audio, the Music Mix feature gives the possibility of combining five phones so they can enjoy it with their friends and family simply by switching the devices.
You can combine the receiver with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner.
It is equipped with a back USB input, a back A/V input, as well as an input for a rear-view cam.
When you are aiming to boost the capability of a backup camera, the receiver will display parking guidelines for facilitated parking.
Besides being apt for satellite radio, the Kenwood DDX26BT device can work with Pandora, Spotify, and iHeartRadio.
Concerning the tuning of the sound, the head unit also makes a 13-band equalizer, digital time adjustment, as well as a Drive EQ, features in order to improve some special frequencies in the sound signal which allows the music to be more audible in the midst of road noise.
- Apt for satellite radio
- Excellent price
- Double phone connection on the main unit
- You need to buy a separate module for steering controls, as well as the mounting bracket
- 6.95″ Wide VGA Color LCD Display With LED Backlight
- Built-in HD Radio And Bluetooth
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
How We Chose the Picks for Car Stereo with Backup Camera
If you’re choosing a new car stereo with rear camera, you have plenty to think about before making your choice.
Ultimately, this is two specific products that work together.
As you’ve seen in some of the picks above, the stereo might be fantastic, but the camera could leave something to be desired.
More than anything, we attempted to find products that offered the best head unit with backup cameras that were also top of the line.
We look at a variety of factors when creating a list of recommended products.
Here are some things to consider when you choose a car stereo with rear camera.
In many car stereos with backup camera options, the camera can sometimes seem like an added feature while the main consideration seems to be on the stereo.
Like other products, you can find cheaper car stereos that feature backup cameras and there are more expensive models that may have added features.
Keep in mind that you will usually get what you pay for.
While something might seem inexpensive, you might end up with a lower quality camera or not have some of the features you would have liked.
If price is the main option for you and you want a higher quality model, consider shopping online or during sales to maximize your savings.
2. Picture Quality
This was a little bit trickier than if we were looking at just front or rearview cameras.
As we were looking for the best head unit with backup camera, we had to think of the car stereo and the quality of the camera.
The good news is that you’ll find many high definition camera options out there.
Obviously, you’ll want to consider the stereo options as well as the visual when you’re deciding whether or not a car radio with backup camera is the right one for you.
3. Ease of Setup
If you’re like most people you’re probably going to have your car stereo installed rather than doing it yourself.
However, once everything is ready to go, you’ll want it to be easy to setup and start using once it’s installed.
If you have questions you want an instruction or user manual that can fill you in.
Having ready and easy access to customer service and/or tech support is another important aspect that we considered in our choices.
When buying a car stereo with backup camera, the display is going to be an important feature.
A larger display screen might be found in the stereos that also include DVD access and other special features.
Ultimately, you want something with a large enough screen to see what’s going on.
How large, ultimately depends on you, but we’ve found most of the good ones offer a screen display of at least six to seven inches.
4. Added Features
What else do you want in your car stereo with backup camera?
With many models you’ll find a number of added features.
Some include DVD players along with the car radio.
Camera quality, display, and audio capabilities are all important but there are plenty of other features that can be included and should be considered, so you get exactly what you want.
While this may not seem like the most important thing to you now, having a good warranty can make the difference.
It’s a way to show consumers that a company stands behind their products.
Hopefully, you’ll never need to use it, but if you do it should be a possibility.
Obviously, the length of the warranty will vary based on which car stereo with rear camera you choose.
That said, whether you get three months or three years, make sure the product has one and that you’re comfortable with the length of time the warranty lasts.
Why Our Opinion Counts
At EducatedDriver, it’s our goal to make sure you have the necessary understanding of the products we recommend.
Before we recommend anything, we spend hours trying out a variety of products and using the various add-ons and special features so that we know how they work and if the products are as good as they sound.
Once we’ve narrowed down some favorites, we continue our research by scouring third-party verified customer reviews for more opinions.
Finally, we consider the manufacturing process.
From there, we are able to choose the best products in any specific category, or more specifically in this case, we’re able to find the best car stereo with backup camera features!
Do you have a driving related question or want to know more about one of the car stereos mentioned?
Feel free to ask your questions in the comments! And don’t forget to check out our complete guide to the best backup cameras for every budget.
The best car stereos embrace a range of features in audio and digital technology, which makes listening to music easy, and navigating your location straightforward.
For this reason, it is worth it for you to buy the best car stereos with Bluetooth as reviewed above since these incorporate a range of features and the best customer reviews to guarantee the best listening experience.