GrubHub is a convenient food delivery service that over 30 million people use at least once a month.
Does that number include EBT participants, and does GrubHub take EBT?
The answer to that is no.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides participants with aid to purchase food for their households — but there are limitations on what you can buy.
Read on for more information on why GrubHub doesn’t accept EBT, if other food delivery services accept it, and what you can buy with your benefits.
- Do Food Delivery Apps Take EBT?
- Does GrubHub Take EBT?
- Why Doesn’t GrubHub Take EBT?
- What Payment Options Does GrubHub Accept?
- What Food Delivery Companies Accept EBT?
- How To Pay With EBT Online
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
Do Food Delivery Apps Take EBT?
The blanket answer to this question is no.
Because you can only use your SNAP benefits for groceries, many food delivery services don’t accept EBT as payment.
Most of these delivery services only deliver prepared food, which doesn’t qualify for EBT.
Does GrubHub Take EBT?
GrubHub is included in the list of food delivery services that don’t accept EBT.
GrubHub is a third-party company that partners with restaurants that otherwise may not offer delivery.
The only food you can order on GrubHub is prepared food, which is ineligible for EBT.
Why Doesn’t GrubHub Take EBT?
GrubHub is an online delivery service that works only with restaurants — and since EBT cannot be used at restaurants or on prepared food, this service is ineligible.
What Payment Options Does GrubHub Accept?
Though you can’t use EBT to pay for your GrubHub order, the company accepts many other payment methods, including cash, Apple Pay, Android Pay, credit or debit card, and PayPal.
Read on for more information!
GrubHub is one of the only online food delivery services that accept cash.
Follow these steps to pay with cash on GrubHub:
- Open the GrubHub app.
- Choose delivery or pickup.
- Select the restaurant you want to order from and add your items.
- View your order and checkout.
- Follow the prompts until you reach the payment method section.
- Select the cash option.
Note: If you don’t see the cash option at checkout, that means the restaurant doesn’t accept cash.
Follow these steps to use Apple Pay at checkout:
- At checkout, choose Apple Pay as your payment method.
- Tap Buy with Apple Pay and verify which credit or debit card to verify and use.
Follow these steps to use Android Pay at checkout:
- At checkout, choose Android Pay as your payment method.
- Choose a credit or debit card to verify and use.
Credit or Debit Card
You can pay with a credit or debit card at checkout.
GrubHub accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, debit cards, and eGift cards.
You can use PayPal on GrubHub, but only if you’re using the mobile app.
- Go to the settings in the app.
- Tap Payment and Add a new payment.
- Change your payment method to PayPal.
- Follow the prompts to link your PayPal account.
- Select the PayPal Credit option next time you check out.
What Food Delivery Companies Accept EBT?
GrubHub doesn’t accept EBT, but do other food delivery companies?
Below are all the details on companies that take this payment method.
Amazon Fresh provides grocery delivery to thousands of people across nine U.S. states.
If you live in an area serviced by Amazon Fresh, you can use EBT to pay for eligible groceries.
Walmart Online Ordering
You can use EBT for Walmart online ordering in 49 states — Alaska residents will have to use their EBT card at pickup.
Create an account with Walmart and update your payment info in settings; there’s an option to add your EBT card.
Instacart is a service that provides grocery delivery, and groceries are EBT-eligible.
Eligible stores across the U.S. include Aldi and Meijer.
However, no matter the store you use Instacart via EBT for, the standards for EBT-eligible items still apply; those include food like produce, meat/poultry/seafood, dairy products, bread and cereals, snack foods, and non-alcoholic beverages.
How To Pay With EBT Online
Using SNAP benefits online is a fairly simple process; we’ve put together a step-by-step tutorial on how to pay for things with EBT online.
- Before you try to use your EBT online, make sure your state participates in the Online Purchasing Pilot program.
- After you’ve confirmed eligibility to use EBT online, select a grocery store to purchase groceries. Make sure that store accepts EBT by going to the payment methods in the settings.
- Add eligible items to your cart and go to checkout. Select the EBT card in the payment options and enter your card information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Even though you can’t use EBT on food delivery, there are still many items you can purchase with your benefits.
Check out a couple of the most commonly asked questions below.
What can be bought with EBT?
Since EBT is the electronic system that allows a SNAP participant to purchase food for the household, you can buy groceries.
Eligible items include produce, meat/poultry/fish, dairy products, bread and cereals, snack foods and non-alcoholic beverages, and seeds and plants to produce food.
You cannot purchase items like alcohol, cigarettes, tobacco, vitamins/medicines/supplements, hot foods, pet foods, cleaning supplies, paper products, household supplies, or live animals.
Does Uber Eats take EBT?
No, Uber Eats does not accept EBT since it’s an online food delivery service that solely works with restaurants; SNAP benefits cannot be used to purchase prepared food items.
Hopefully, this article has answered the burning question of “does GrubHub take EBT.”
While GrubHub doesn’t accept this form of payment, many places do — like grocery stores and grocery delivery services.
Take advantage of the delivery services that do accept EBT, like Amazon Fresh, Walmart, and Instacart.