- Lyft accepts prepaid cards with Visa, Mastercard, or American Express logos, alongside other payment methods like credit/debit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay.
- Lyft does not accept cash for ride payments but allows cash tips for drivers.
- To add a prepaid card, users must enter card details under the “Payment” section in the Lyft app.
- Issues with prepaid card rejection can often be resolved by re-adding the card, checking for sufficient funds, or contacting Lyft support for assistance.
- Does Lyft Take Prepaid Cards?
- How to Add a Prepaid Card on Lyft
- Troubleshooting: Lyft Is Rejecting My Card
- Other Forms of Payment that Lyft Takes
- Can You Use Lyft Without a Credit Card?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Does Lyft Take Prepaid Cards?
Lyft accepts most prepaid cards, including those supported by Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. This includes both reward cards and those available for purchase at retailers like Walmart.
However, Lyft notes that while it accepts prepaid cards, some may not be compatible with their system.
How to Add a Prepaid Card on Lyft
Adding a prepaid card to Lyft is simple. Follow these steps:
- Open the app.
- Click on the menu in the top left corner.
- Tap on “Payment.”
- Scroll down and click on “Add payment method,” which will be preceded by the plus (+) sign.
- Click on “Credit or debit card.”
- Enter your card number, expiration date, CVV code, and your billing zip code.
- Click on “Save.”
Troubleshooting: Lyft Is Rejecting My Card
If Lyft is rejecting your prepaid card, don’t worry. Usually, some quick fixes will allow you to use your card again.
Here are the most common reasons Lyft rejects cards:
- The card is expired.
- You entered some details, such as the CVV code, incorrectly.
- The card was reported lost or stolen.
- Your bank or prepaid card provider froze your card due to suspicious transactions or suspected fraud. For example, Netspend might freeze your account if you enter your PIN incorrectly three times in a row.
- You do not have enough funds on your prepaid card or in your bank account to cover the cost of your ride.
- You have a foreign card and your foreign bank flagged the transaction.
Usually, by calling your bank or card provider, you will be able to fix the issue. You may have to add money to your card to make sure it covers the cost of your Lyft ride in full.
Why is Lyft Asking for a Second Card?
Lyft might ask for a second card to verify your identity. Furthermore, it might ask for a second card if the first card you entered doesn’t have enough funds, is expired, or doesn’t work for some other reason.
How to Fix Lyft This Error
If you get an error while trying to pay for Lyft, here are some quick fixes to try:
- Delete your prepaid card and add it again.
- Use another payment method.
- Make sure you have selected the right payment method when ordering a ride.
- Call your bank or card provider.
- Add money to your card. Make sure you have more than enough to cover your Lyft ride.
- Contact Lyft support by clicking on “Help” in the main menu.
- Make sure your phone’s location services are turned on and that Lyft has access to your location.
Other Forms of Payment that Lyft Takes
Prepaid cards are not the only way to pay for a Lyft ride. Here are additional payment methods you can use on Lyft.
- A credit card: Lyft accepts all credit cards from major companies, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- A debit card: Similarly, Lyft accepts most debit cards issued by U.S. and Canadian banks.
- PayPal: On Android and iOS, you may also connect your PayPal account.
- Venmo: PayPal owns Venmo, and it is another supported payment method.
- Apple Pay: iOS users can pay with Apple Pay.
- Google Pay: Formerly Android Pay, Google Pay is Google’s version of Apple Pay and is available to Android users.
- Lyft Cash: You may add money to your Lyft Cash balance using any other payment method. Then, you can deduct the cost of your rides from your balance.
- A Lyft gift card: You can purchase Lyft gift cards at select retailers. You can also buy a digital gift card online. You can use it yourself or gift it to someone.
- Lyft Pass: Your company or organization can pay for all or some of your rides by getting a Lyft Pass and sharing a unique code with you.
- Commuter benefits: Commuter benefits are employer-provided programs that allow employees to use pre-tax dollars for commuting expenses.
Does Lyft Take Cash?
While you can use Lyft Cash to pay for rides, you have to first load your Lyft Cash balance using one of the other accepted payment methods.
Nevertheless, if you received cash and want to use it for Lyft rides, there is a workaround.
If you have a PayPal account, you can load your PayPal account with cash at Walmart, 7-11, and many other retailers.
Similarly, you can purchase a prepaid card at Walmart, 7-11, or Target with cash and use that to pay for your Lyft rides.
However, you can use a cash payment to tip your driver, even if you are covering the cost of your ride using another payment method.
Drivers often appreciate getting tips in cash, as they don’t have to wait for Lyft to release that money to them.
Does Lyft Take PayPal?
Yes, Lyft takes PayPal on iOS and Android devices.
However, there’s a caveat.
To add PayPal as a payment method to your Lyft account, you will first need to connect a debit or credit card as a backup option.
Only then can you use PayPal.
Can You Use Lyft Without a Credit Card?
Yes, you can use Lyft without a credit card.
Your easiest option is to add a debit card.
If you don’t have a debit card either, simply use cash to purchase a prepaid card at Walmart, 7-11, or elsewhere.
You can also purchase a Lyft gift card, but you will only be able to use it on Lyft and not on Uber.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Lyft Charge Before or After a Ride?
Lyft charges you after you have completed a ride.
However, as soon as you place a ride request, Lyft will often place a pending charge on your card or PayPal account.
So, you may get a notification of a pending hold from your bank or PayPal.
This pending transaction is just to make sure that you have enough funds in your account to cover the cost of the ride.
If you end up canceling your ride, or if your driver cancels, the funds will be released ASAP, and you won’t be charged.
Does Starbucks Still Sell Lyft Gift Cards?
Several years ago, Starbucks and Lyft announced that Lyft gift cards will be available for purchase at select Starbucks coffee shops.
You may still be able to buy Lyft gift cards at some Starbucks locations.
If you don’t see one available at your local Starbucks, however, you have many other options.
Whether you have a Walmart MoneyCard or some other prepaid card, you can now use it on Lyft.
Using your prepaid cards on Lyft is a great way to spend money you received as a gift.
If you have some cash you’d like to spend, load it on a debit card and add that card to your Lyft account.