If you’ve used Lyft, you’re probably familiar with the fact that they pride themselves on being easy to use and offer riders a fairly frictionless process – from ride to payment.
But what if you’re trying to use a prepaid card?
Does Lyft take prepaid cards?
In this post, we’ll discuss whether or not they take this form of payment, as well as how to use them if so.
Table Of Contents
Does Lyft Take Prepaid Cards?
Yes, Lyft accepts prepaid cards in addition to standard debit cards.
That includes prepaid cards supported by the top network processors, including Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. It includes cards you get as a reward and those you buy at Walmart.
What Types of Prepaid Cards Does Lyft Take?
Lyft accepts most prepaid cards.
If your card bears the logo of Mastercard, Visa, or American Express, it will work on Lyft.
Lyft states that it accepts prepaid cards, but some cards may not work.
Other Forms of Payment that Lyft Takes
Prepaid cards are not the only way to pay for a Lyft ride.
Here are additional payment methods you can use on Lyft.
- A credit card: Lyft accepts all credit cards from major companies, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- A debit card: Similarly, Lyft accepts most debit cards issued by U.S. and Canadian banks.
- PayPal: On Android and iOS, you may also connect your PayPal account.
- Venmo: PayPal owns Venmo, and it is another supported payment method.
- Apple Pay: iOS users can pay with Apple Pay.
- Google Pay: Formerly Android Pay, Google Pay is Google’s version of Apple Pay and is available to Android users.
- Lyft Cash: You may add money to your Lyft Cash balance using any other payment method. Then, you can deduct the cost of your rides from your balance.
- A Lyft gift card: You can purchase Lyft gift cards at select retailers. You can also buy a digital gift card online. You can use it yourself or gift it to someone.
- Lyft Pass: Your company or organization can pay for all or some of your rides by getting a Lyft Pass and sharing a unique code with you.
- Commuter benefits: Commuter benefits are employer-provided programs that allow employees to use pre-tax dollars for commuting expenses.
Does Lyft Take Cash?
While you can use Lyft Cash to pay for rides, you have to first load your Lyft Cash balance using one of the other accepted payment methods.
Nevertheless, if you received cash and want to use it for Lyft rides, there is a workaround.
If you have a PayPal account, you can load your PayPal account with cash at Walmart, 7-11, and many other retailers.
Similarly, you can purchase a prepaid card at Walmart, 7-11, or Target with cash and use that to pay for your Lyft rides.
However, you can use a cash payment to tip your driver, even if you are covering the cost of your ride using another payment method.
Drivers often appreciate getting tips in cash, as they don’t have to wait for Lyft to release that money to them.
Does Lyft Take PayPal?
Yes, Lyft takes PayPal on iOS and Android devices.
However, there’s a caveat.
To add PayPal as a payment method to your Lyft account, you will first need to connect a debit or credit card as a backup option.
Only then can you use PayPal.
Related: Does Uber take PayPal?
How to Add a Prepaid Card on Lyft
Adding a prepaid card to Lyft is simple.
Follow these steps:
- Open the app.
- Click on the menu in the top left corner.
- Tap on “Payment.”
- Scroll down and click on “Add payment method,” which will be preceded by the plus (+) sign.
- Click on “Credit or debit card.”
- Enter your card number, expiration date, CVV code, and your billing zip code.
- Click on “Save.”
Troubleshooting: Lyft Is Rejecting My Card
If Lyft is rejecting your prepaid card, don’t worry.
Usually, some quick fixes will allow you to use your card again.
Why is Lyft Rejecting my Card?
Here are the most common reasons Lyft rejects cards:
- The card is expired.
- You entered some details, such as the CVV code, incorrectly.
- The card was reported lost or stolen.
- Your bank or prepaid card provider froze your card due to suspicious transactions or suspected fraud. For example, Netspend might freeze your account if you enter your PIN incorrectly three times in a row.
- You do not have enough funds on your prepaid card or in your bank account to cover the cost of your ride.
- You have a foreign card and your foreign bank flagged the transaction.
Usually, by calling your bank or card provider, you will be able to fix the issue.
You may have to add money to your card to make sure it covers the cost of your Lyft ride in full.
Why is Lyft Asking for a Second Card?
Lyft might ask for a second card to verify your identity.
Furthermore, it might ask for a second card if the first card you entered doesn’t have enough funds, is expired, or doesn’t work for some other reason.
How to Fix Lyft This Error
If you get an error while trying to pay for Lyft, here are some quick fixes to try:
- Delete your prepaid card and add it again.
- Use another payment method.
- Make sure you have selected the right payment method when ordering a ride.
- Call your bank or card provider.
- Add money to your card. Make sure you have more than enough to cover your Lyft ride.
- Contact Lyft support by clicking on “Help” in the main menu.
- Make sure your phone’s location services are turned on and that Lyft has access to your location.
Can You Use Lyft Without a Credit Card?
Yes, you can use Lyft without a credit card.
Your easiest option is to add a debit card.
If you don’t have a debit card either, simply use cash to purchase a prepaid card at Walmart, 7-11, or elsewhere.
You can also purchase a Lyft gift card, but you will only be able to use it on Lyft and not on Uber.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most common questions we get about paying for rides on Lyft.
Does Lyft Charge Before or After a Ride?
Lyft charges you after you have completed a ride.
However, as soon as you place a ride request, Lyft will often place a pending charge on your card or PayPal account.
So, you may get a notification of a pending hold from your bank or PayPal.
This pending transaction is just to make sure that you have enough funds in your account to cover the cost of the ride.
If you end up canceling your ride, or if your driver cancels, the funds will be released ASAP, and you won’t be charged.
Does Starbucks Still Sell Lyft Gift Cards?
Several years ago, Starbucks and Lyft announced that Lyft gift cards will be available for purchase at select Starbucks coffee shops.
You may still be able to buy Lyft gift cards at some Starbucks locations.
If you don’t see one available at your local Starbucks, however, you have many other options.
Lyft gift cards are available at many retailers.
According to Lyft, those retailers include 7-Eleven, Albertsons, CVS, Giant Eagle, Kroger, Rite Aid, Safeway, Walgreens, and Walmart.
However, availability may vary from branch to branch.
You can also purchase digital Lyft gift cards directly from Amazon, using your phone or computer.
Whether you have a Walmart MoneyCard or some other prepaid card, you can now use it on Lyft.
Using your prepaid cards on Lyft is a great way to spend money you received as a gift.
If you have some cash you’d like to spend, load it on a debit card and add that card to your Lyft account.