- DoorDash allows car rentals for deliveries, but consider costs and needs before renting.
- HyreCar, Fair, Hertz, and Turo offer rental options.
- Weigh pros and cons of renting vs. owning for DoorDash.
- Check rental agreements for DoorDash compatibility and costs.
- Can You Rent a Car for DoorDash?
- Reasons to Consider Renting a Car for DoorDash
- Should You Rent a Car for DoorDash?
- Best Places to Rent a Car for DoorDash
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts: Making the Decision to Rent a Car for DoorDash
Can You Rent a Car for DoorDash?
While owning a car is typical for DoorDash drivers, renting one is also a viable option. A rental car can be a helpful alternative if in various situations where you don’t have access to a personal vehicle.
According to DoorDash’s terms and conditions, owning a car isn’t a requirement to deliver food on the platform.
In fact, you can even Dash on a bike, motorcycle, scooter, or any other suitable vehicle as long as you can reach customers within the designated time.
DoorDash allows its drivers to use rental cars, as long as they meet the vehicle requirements, which include:
- Valid driver’s license
- Personal or commercial auto insurance
- Clean driving record
Reasons to Consider Renting a Car for DoorDash
Ideally, you should consider Dashing using your own vehicle to minimize the recurring expenses associated with the gig.
However, in some cases, renting a car for delivery service gigs like DoorDash can be worth it if the advantages align with your needs or outweigh the drawbacks.
Gives You Immediate, Flexible Access to Other Vehicles
If you don’t own a car or yours is unavailable or unsuitable, renting allows you to become a Dasher and start earning right away.
This is also a good idea if you don’t want to increase the mileage on your personal car which affects its resale value.
Keep in mind that you’ll still need to buy some essential items to start Dashing, such as the proper DoorDash gear.
Renting can be a highly reliable way to try DoorDash driving without worrying about long-term commitment by buying a car specifically for that purpose.
While renting, you can also try a wider range of cars. This allows you to see which car best suits your delivery needs in terms of size, comfort, and fuel efficiency
Reduced Maintenance and Repair Costs
Another advantage of using rental cars for DoorDash is the alleviated burden of maintenance and repair expenses.
This is because some car rental services will include car insurance in the rental agreement, which takes care of the car’s maintenance and repair costs associated with heavy usage.
Should You Rent a Car for DoorDash?
Despite the previously mentioned advantages, renting a car for DoorDash is not a good idea for everyone.
That’s why you need to consider your circumstances and financial situation before making up your mind. Here are some aspects that you must consider to make an informed decision.
Renting a car adds an extra layer of expenses you have to cover before making a profit delivering on DoorDash.
That’s why you need to weigh in on these expenses and compare how much you’re expecting to make. These aspects include:
- Rental Fees: These can vary depending on the car type, rental company, and location. Most companies charge weekly or bi-weekly, but you can find options that charge you with daily or monthly rates.
- Insurance: You might need additional insurance beyond the basic coverage offered by the rental program to cover commercial use. In fact, some car rental agreements may strictly prohibit the use of the car for purposes like food delivery services.
- Gas Expenses: Gas prices can fluctuate, affecting your profit margin with frequent deliveries. That’s why you should always consider a fuel-efficient car for Dashing.
- Mileage Limits: Many rental platforms offer unlimited mileage as an advantage to renting a vehicle, but not all of them. Ideally, you should avoid companies with mileage limits while dashing because it can heavily limit your workload.
Comparison with Buying a Car
Dashing with own vehicle is still the go-to method for most Dashers. Buying a car for dashing has various advantages but also several drawbacks. Here’s a quick look at both of them
Pros of Renting
- Despite the rental fees, renting saves you the initial investment of buying a car, which is perfect if you’re unsure about a long-term commitment to DoorDash.
- You don’t have to worry about the vehicle’s depreciation or resale value, which is a significant expense in the case of ownership
- You’ll be able to switch between different cars to optimize your earnings
- In some locations, you might be able to write off your gas, rental, and other costs as tax deductibles, which can save you some money.
- Owning a car comes with a lot of additional expenses, such as licensing, registration, taxes, fines, fees, and much more. While renting a car, you don’t have to worry about any of these aspects.
Cons of Renting
- While loan payments can eat away a large chunk of your income, they contribute towards car ownership, unlike rental.
- Most rental contracts will limit what you can and can’t do (or go) with your car. When you buy a car, you don’t have to worry about any of these restrictions or contractual limitations.
Renting a car to Deliver food with DoorDash is a viable option, but not always the best choice for everyone. You may consider rental if the following points apply to you:
- You’re only trying DoorDash and not planning on doing it full-time or for extended periods.
- You don’t have enough capital to put a down payment for a car.
- You prefer trying different cars before buying a dedicated car for Dashing.
- You’re concerned about depreciation, maintenance costs, and insurance details.
Best Places to Rent a Car for DoorDash
If you’re interested in renting a car for DoorDash, here are some of the top options to consider in terms of features and reliability.
HyreCar is a highly optimized car-sharing service that is specifically designed to appeal to gig economy workers.
One of the main advantages of the peer-to-peer vehicle rental company is the flexibility of rental duration. Unlike car rentals, HyreCar offers daily, weekly, and monthly rentals. This allows Dashers to adjust their car needs based on their workload and expected income income.
Renters can communicate directly with car owners to negotiate specific terms or request special adjustments to accommodate Dashing. This offers more flexibility than standardized rental agreements in traditional rental companies.
HyreCar also partnered with DoorDash to offer a dedicated service with optimized pricing to keep Dashing profitable. HyreCar is fairly affordable with the average weekly rental rate ranging between $300 to $450.
HyreCar offers a special insurance policy specifically designed for rideshare and delivery services. This highly optimized policy spares you the confusion between standard personal and commercial insurance.
Fair is a unique rental company because it offers the accessibility of leasing without sacrificing the flexibility of car rentals.
Since the company offers lease agreements, DoorDash drivers will get more control over their cars without worrying about mileage and other aspects. This makes Fair a perfect choice if you’re looking for short to medium-term commitments.
You can also opt for Fair if you’re looking for a long-term commitment. However, we highly recommend considering other companies in that situation. This is because Fair’s main drawback is the relatively high rental fees.
In that case, opting for a car loan to purchase the car would be better because it would cost you around the same amount of money, except you’ll get to own the car in the end and earn back a part of your initial investment.
While Fair doesn’t have any direct partnerships with DoorDash, the general agreement doesn’t have any clauses or terms against using the car commercially, so you don’t have to worry about that.
Hertz is one of the best options to consider if you want to rent an affordable car for DoorDash driving. Up until recently, the two companies had an official partnership offering unique benefits for Dashers.
This means that both companies occasionally offered exclusive discounts and promotions to Dashers renting through Hertz, increasing the renters’ net profits. While this deal is currently unavailable, it’s still a decent option to consider as a Dasher.
Additionally, the company has several standard advantages for all delivery drivers, such as fixed rates with almost no hidden fees and unlimited mileage for both DoorDash deliveries and personal use.
The rental platform also offers excellent flexibility with rental duration, including weekly and daily options.
Hertz is responsible for car maintenance and sanitization between drivers to ensure ready-to-go quality and same-day rentals.
The company also offers optional insurance policies, including Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).
Turo is one of the most successful peer-to-peer car rental platforms out there. Unlike traditional car rentals, the platform simply connects car owners and renters.
This means that prices are set by individual car owners, leading to flexibility and often lower rates than traditional companies. In fact, you could find basic DoorDash-eligible cars for as little as $20 per day.
Since renting cars for Dashing is becoming more common, more car owners on Turo now optimize their listings to suit those needs.
Turo also offers various insurance options ranging from Basic to Premier, each with different coverage levels and deductibles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does DoorDash Give You a Car?
Unfortunately, DoorDash doesn’t offer or provide Dashers with cars. As an independent contractor for DoorDash, you’re responsible for providing your own vehicle for deliveries.
However, the food delivery app offers some resources and programs to help with car-related expenses. These include partnerships with maintenance platforms like CarAdvise.
The DasherDirect card also offers cashback and rewards to save on fuel expenses while dashing.
Do DoorDash Drivers Get Discounts On Rental Cars?
DoorDash drivers have some options for discounts on rental cars. One of the main examples here is Hertz car rental.
The official partnership between the two platforms offers exclusive rental rates for Dashers in addition to special perks. These include unlimited miles, fixed pricing, higher flexibility, and standard maintenance.
Final Thoughts: Making the Decision to Rent a Car for DoorDash
Renting a car for DoorDash is a good option for short-term commitment and enjoying additional perks like enhanced flexibility and reduced maintenance costs.
However, you must consider your personal circumstances and needs when deciding to rent a car for DoorDash.
If you’ve settled on renting, remember to weigh the advantages and features of each service carefully to pick the one that best fits your needs and budget.