- Instacart provides shoppers with a special card for purchasing groceries.
- Shoppers cannot use the card for personal expenses or at gas stations.
- The customer pays any additional costs for substitute items or bag fees.
- Shoppers can use mobile checkout or have backup cards for convenience.
- How Do Instacart Shoppers Pay for Groceries?
- How to Get an Instacart Debit Card
- How to Use the Instacart Debit Card to Pay for Groceries
- Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Instacart Shoppers Pay for Groceries?
Instacart shoppers pay for groceries using a special Instacart shopper card, not their own credit or debit cards. This card is issued by Instacart and functions similarly to any major credit or debit card at grocery stores.
It’s designed specifically for purchasing groceries on behalf of customers through the Instacart app.
The card tracks spending to prevent overspending on orders and is limited to use only in stores for picking up Instacart orders.
It cannot be used for personal purchases or at locations outside of the designated grocery stores.
How to Get an Instacart Debit Card
Instacart drivers can obtain their shopper card either by mail or in person.
To receive a card by mail, notify Instacart, and they will send a new card at no cost, canceling the old one if it’s still active. For immediate replacement due to a non-functioning or damaged card, pick one up in person by contacting customer service for the nearest location.
Once received, the card must be registered in the Instacart shopper app to link it to your account, ensuring it’s ready for use. If the card is lost, contact customer service for a replacement.
How to Use the Instacart Debit Card to Pay for Groceries
To pay for groceries using the Instacart debit card, follow these steps:
1. Checkout Process
At the partner grocery store, proceed to checkout with the groceries ordered through the Instacart app. You can use both manned and self-checkout lanes, though manned lanes are recommended for quicker processing.
2. Using the Instacart Card
Swipe or tap your Instacart debit card at the payment terminal. If prompted for a PIN, enter it to complete the transaction. Some stores may allow a simple swipe without needing the PIN.
3. Handling Substitutions
If an ordered item is out of stock and you choose a substitute, notify the customer through the app. The app will prompt the customer to approve any substitutions and price differences. The cost, including any adjustments for substitutions, is covered by the Instacart card.
4. Mobile Checkout Option
For convenience, you can also use the Instacart app’s mobile checkout feature. Tap your phone at the register to pay, making it unnecessary to carry the physical card.
Additional Tips for Checking Out
- Communication with Customers: Keep the lines of communication open regarding substitutions to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Backup Plans: If you forget your Instacart card, having backup cards in your vehicle or using the mobile checkout option can save time and avoid issues at checkout.
- Prohibited Uses: The card is exclusively for purchasing groceries for Instacart orders at partner stores. Personal use of the card is against company policy and can lead to termination from the platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Instacart Shoppers Pay for Bags?
Instacart shoppers do not pay for bags out of pocket; the Instacart Shopper card covers the entire order, including bag fees.
Customers pay for these fees, with costs itemized on their receipt, including food items, taxes, bag fees, delivery fees, and tips. The shopper handles no direct expenses related to the order.