If you’re considering applying to Postmates, you might wonder what the background check process involves and how long does Postmates background check take.
We’ll answer those questions here and provide a little information on who can provide food delivery for Postmates and what the application process involves.
Table Of Contents
Applying for Postmates: A Primer
Before we dive into the background check process, it is important to cover a few things first.
Who can deliver for Postmates?
There are a few different Postmates requirements that you must meet in order to become eligible to apply for the service.
- You must be 18 years or older.
- If you want to deliver alcohol, you need to be 21.
- You need to own a smartphone and have a driver’s license, even if you don’t own a vehicle.
- You need a social security number for a background check with Postmates.
- If you are not a US citizen, you must have a work permit or visa to show you’re authorized to work in the United States.
What is the Postmates Application Process Like?
The Postmates application process has a few steps; we’ll cover them here.
- Enter your email address into the field and choose a password to sign in to the site.
- You’ll need to verify your identity after setting up your account. Make sure you use your full legal name when filling out this information because Postmates will use it to perform new driver background checks.
- In addition, Postmates will ask you to upload a selfie so their merchants and customers can identify you. You should take the photo from the shoulders up, with a solid, clear background.
- Finally, you’ll have to enter your mobile number so Postmates can text you a link to the private Postmates Fleet app. This app is different from the Postmates customer app. You will need an iOS or Android device to use it.
- You’ll also receive an unactivated Postmates prepaid card to use when picking up orders that haven’t been paid for yet. We’ll explain how to activate it later.
- You’ll also have to add your banking information to set up a direct deposit.
Do You Need a Background Check to Drive for Postmates?
Yes, you must complete a Postmates background check to become approved for the service.
Potential Postmates drivers need to undergo background checks because they drive; this can pose risks for the company.
The prepaid cards are also their responsibility.
Due to the high degree of trust involved, it’s not surprising that Postmates won’t hire people with prior criminal records.
Keeping customers safe is also crucial.
Postmates customers want to feel secure when a driver arrives at their home or office.
Because Postmates couriers undergo criminal history and driving background checks, customers know they aren’t working with a potentially violent person.
What Does the Postmates Background Check Look for?
It looks at the driver’s criminal record and driving record.
When looking at your criminal record, Postmates looks for the following:
- Brutal crimes
- Felony convictions
- Sex crimes
- Offenses involving drugs.
As long as any of those are present, you won’t be able to drive for Postmates.
Suggested: Does Postmates hire felons?
Additionally, applicants who want to drive a motor vehicle to make deliveries must submit a driving record check.
Both state and local DMVs participate in this process.
Here are the violations checked:
- Hit and run
- Motor vehicle-related property damage
- Too many moving violations
- Other motor vehicle offenses
How Long Does the Postmates Background Check Take?
Background checks for Postmates can take time.
Results are usually ready within 24 to 48 hours.
However, the review could take longer sometimes.
In this case, it’s generally because local government offices are taking their time processing requests.
You shouldn’t be concerned if you haven’t committed any of the offenses listed above.
A lengthy background check doesn’t necessarily indicate that you’ve committed some crime you didn’t know about.
So don’t worry if it takes a while – it’s probably just the government’s slow pace that’s to blame.
You can view your background check status through the Postmates Fleet mobile app.
It gives you secure access to your background check history.
You can download the Postmates fleet app for iPhone and Android once Postmates has accepted your application.
Postmates will also tell you how to set up your driver account.
All you need to do is log into the app to check your background check status.
A pending background check message will appear if it’s still in progress.
As mentioned previously, that probably just means there’s a delay in processing.
Activating Card from Welcome Kit
Once you apply for the prepaid card, you will need to wait a week or more for the background check to be completed before you receive it.
If there is something wrong with the background check, Postmates can talk to you before hiring you.
You can request a new prepaid card if you’re already a Postmates delivery driver.
It takes about two to three business days to receive a new card, but it can sometimes take a week.
Postmates currently doesn’t provide any tracking information or numbers for the prepaid cards, so you can’t track them.
You should receive it quickly even though you don’t have tracking information.
If it doesn’t arrive in a week, call customer service.
When you receive the card, you’ll have to link it with your account.
You can activate it on the Postmates driver app or via the device or browser of your choice.
Or, you can use the Postmates Partner Dashboard to activate the card.
To activate the card on the Postmates partner dashboard, do the following:
- Go to fleet.postmates.com/settings/card in your browser.
- Enter the prepaid card’s identifier
- Enter the last four digits
- The prompt will tell you what to do.
Additionally, you can activate the card with the Fleet app.
To use the Fleet application for activating a card, follow these steps:
- Launch the app.
- Go to the menu in the top-left corner.
- Click on your picture.
- Select “Prepaid card.”
- Click on “Activate new card.”
- Type in the identifier for the card
- Fill in the last four digits
- Follow the instructions
How to Apply to Postmates
It’s easy to apply to Postmates. Here’s how to do it:
Check the Postmates driver requirements
As mentioned previously, Postmates drivers must be 18 or older, or 21 if delivering alcohol, own an Android or iPhone smartphone, and have a driver’s license even if they don’t have a vehicle.
They also need to have a social security number for the background check and be authorized to work in the United States if they’re not a US citizen.
Check the Postmates vehicle requirements
Postmates vehicle requirements aren’t complex.
Depending on the market, you can ride a bicycle, a scooter, a car, a truck, or even walk.
You can even change your vehicle type right from the app.
Pass the Postmates background check
We went over the specifics of the background check earlier, but you’ll need to give your full name, full date of birth, and social security number for the background check.
Postmates’ background check looks for violent offenses, sexual offenses, theft, property damage, felonies, and DUIs.
If you pass it, you’ll receive the welcome kit with the prepaid card – this may take more than two weeks.
That’s what you need to know to pass the Postmates background check.
As long as you don’t have any of the crimes listed in this article on your record and have few driving offenses, you won’t have a problem passing it, so if you know you can pass, go ahead and apply.