This post may contain affiliate links – which means we may receive compensation from purchases made through links on this site. Learn more ›
Uber maintains a high-quality service by requiring drivers to meet specific criteria, including a set of car requirements that vary by city and service type.
These requirements, which cover the vehicle’s age, condition, and features like having four doors, ensure that ridesharing is safe, comfortable, and reliable. They aim to reduce safety incidents and enhance passenger satisfaction, with premium services like UberBlack or Uber Lux requiring higher quality vehicles.
Additionally, local regulations may mandate further conditions such as commercial insurance or rigorous vehicle inspections.
Vehicles must be under 15 years old with 4 doors, in good condition, and pass a vehicle inspection.
Car requirements differ by city due to varying local laws and market needs.
Higher-end services like UberBlack and Uber Lux require luxury vehicles.
Uber Eats Flexibility
Vehicle standards for Uber Eats deliveries are significantly more relaxed than for ridesharing.
- Discovering Your Local Uber Car Standards
- General Uber Car Requirements
- Uber’s Service-Specific Vehicle Requirements
- The Best Vehicles to Drive for Uber
Discovering Your Local Uber Car Standards
To drive for Uber, it’s crucial to know the vehicle requirements specific to your area, as they can vary based on local regulations and market needs.
- Using Uber’s Eligible Vehicle Tool: Simply input your city and car model into Uber’s online tool to check if your vehicle qualifies. It will show you the oldest acceptable year for your vehicle and which Uber services it’s eligible for. This tool is handy even if your car is newer, confirming it’s eligible for the desired Uber service.
- Visiting Your Local Greenlight Hub: Alternatively, you can stop by an Uber Greenlight Hub in your area. There, you can verify if your vehicle meets Uber’s standards and, if so, proceed to have it inspected on-site.
General Uber Car Requirements
While specific Uber car standards can differ by location and service level, the following are baseline requirements you’ll likely need to meet:
- Your vehicle should be free from significant cosmetic damage and no older than 15 years.
- It must be in good overall condition without any commercial branding or taxi paint jobs.
- The car should seat four to seven passengers, not including the driver, and must be a 4-door model.
- A passed vehicle inspection, functional air conditioning, and working windows are mandatory.
- The car cannot be a rebuilt, taxi, branded, or government vehicle, nor a rental, unless it’s from an Uber-approved company.
- Additional expectations include seatbelts for all passengers, up-to-date car registration, and personal insurance adhering to local regulations.
Uber Vehicle Inspection
To drive for Uber, your vehicle must pass an Uber vehicle inspection, which can be done at an Uber Greenlight Hub or an authorized third-party location. The inspection confirms that your vehicle is safe to drive and offers a comfortable experience for riders.
Exclusions for Uber Vehicle Eligibility
The following types of vehicles are typically ineligible for Uber:
Taxis and full-sized vans
Police and other government cars, or vehicles with any kind of branding
Cars that have been salvaged, modified, or rebuilt
If you’re uncertain about your vehicle’s eligibility, continue reading for more detailed information on vehicle requirements.
What Happens When Your Car Becomes Too Old for Uber?
The acceptable model year of a car changes annually. When your car exceeds the 5-15-year-old limit, Uber will age your car out of the system in a process called vehicle transitioning. You cannot give rides anymore unless you get a new vehicle. On the other hand, you can switch to Uber Eats.
A Note on Uber Eats Requirements
Driving for Uber Eats is far more relaxed regarding vehicle standards. You can deliver using a scooter, bike, or even on foot. If you prefer to drive, your car can be a two-door model that’s up to 30 years old. The only essentials are having your vehicle registered and insured.
Read More: Requirements to Become an Uber Eats Driver
Uber’s Service-Specific Vehicle Requirements
Here is an overview of the rideshare vehicle requirements for each Uber service.
1. UberX Vehicle Requirements
UberX is favored for its affordability and minimal vehicle requirements. Suitable for four riders, here’s what you’ll need beyond the basic standards:
- A vehicle with four fully operational, independent doors.
- A minimum of five seat belts, factory-installed.
Popular models for UberX include:
- Honda Accord
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- Honda Civic
- Toyota Corolla
- Ford Focus
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Volkswagen Passat
- Toyota Prius
- Nissan Sentra
Remember, some smaller cars may not be eligible for UberX or certain promotions. Check if your car is compatible with UberX’s requirements.
2. UberXL Vehicle Requirements
UberXL is designed for larger groups, seating five to six passengers, which means it comes with a higher fare and more stringent vehicle criteria. To drive for UberXL, your car needs to have:
- A minimum of seven seats and seat belts, installed by the manufacturer.
- Four doors that can transport up to six passengers.
Typical UberXL vehicles are spacious models like minivans and SUVs. Driving an UberXL can earn more than standard UberX rides due to the size of the vehicle and its higher fuel consumption.
However, UberXL drivers also receive UberX ride requests, which pay less. It’s important to manage expectations since operating both services is a standard part of the role.
Specific requirements for UberXL include:
- A vehicle year model that complies with city-specific regulations (ranging from 2004 or newer to 2009 or newer in some areas).
- Valid in-state car insurance, registration, and license plates.
- A successful pass of Uber’s vehicle inspection.
Common models suitable for UberXL service include:
- Dodge Caravan
- Honda Odyssey
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Sienna
- And others like Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Chevrolet Suburban.
Uber Comfort Specifications
Uber Comfort offers rides with extra legroom at competitive prices, perfect for longer journeys. This service avoids smaller cars for added comfort. Drivers must have a high rating (4.85 or above) and a history of at least 250 rides. The cars should offer more space than typical compact cars. Some of the preferred models for Uber Comfort are:
- Volkswagen Atlas
- Toyota Camry
- And luxury vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Cadillac Escalade.
3. Uber Green Vehicle Requirements
Uber Green caters to riders preferring environmentally friendly vehicles, such as hybrids or electric cars. These rides incur an additional $1 fee, split between supporting Uber’s green initiatives and the driver. To qualify, vehicles must meet the UberX standards but be powered by hybrid or electric engines. Some examples of Uber Green vehicles include:
- Honda Accord Hybrid
- Toyota Prius
- All Tesla models
- And other eco-friendly cars like the Hyundai Ioniq Electric and Chevrolet Bolt.
4. Uber Select Vehicle Requirements
UberSELECT offers an affordable entry into luxury rides. It’s perfect for those who want a more upscale experience than UberX without the premium price of UberBlack.
The requirements for UberSELECT cars include:
- Four doors and enough space to seat four passengers comfortably.
- A luxury feel, which typically includes a leather or vinyl interior.
- A model year that meets the city’s current standards, often 2009 or newer.
- Compliance with in-state car insurance, registration, and licensing rules.
- A successful pass through Uber’s vehicle inspection process.
- Generally, vehicles should not be much older than ten years and must be considered a luxury sedan.
Some of the vehicles that fit UberSELECT criteria are:
- Land Rover Discovery
- Acura MDX
- Chrysler 300
- Lexus GS series
- BMW X3 and X5 models
- And other high-end models like the Audi A3 series, Mercedes C-Class vehicles, and the Volvo S60/S80. All Teslas are also included in this category.
5. Uber Black/BlackSUV Vehicle Requirements
UberBLACK is the premier choice for luxury transport within Uber’s services. Aimed at those seeking a high-end travel experience, it commands a higher fare, which can significantly benefit drivers who meet the upscale requirements.
To qualify for UberBLACK, drivers need:
- Commercial livery insurance and official commercial registration.
- Vehicles that exceed the luxury of UberSELECT, like a BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, or Mercedes-Benz E Class.
- A sleek black exterior finish.
- An interior featuring black leather or high-quality vegan leather.
- The vehicle must be recent, typically less than five years old.
- Necessary commercial documentation, including insurance, registration, and airport permits.
Examples of UberBLACK cars include:
- BMW 5 and 7 Series
- Audi A6, A7, A8
- Mercedes-Benz E- and S-Class
- Jaguar XF/XJ
- Cadillac XTS
For the BlackSUV category, vehicles must have a capacity to seat at least six passengers while also adhering to the UberBLACK standards.
Some suitable BlackSUV models are:
- Cadillac Escalade
- Ford Expedition
- Mercedes GL-Class
- Lexus LX
- Lincoln Navigator
- Infiniti QX60/QX80
- Chevrolet Suburban
- GMC Yukon XL
6. Uber LUX Vehicle Requirements
UberLUX is the top-tier service for drivers aiming to maximize their earnings. This premium option provides riders with an exquisite travel experience in full-sized luxury vehicles from the world’s most renowned automotive brands.
Requirements for UberLUX vehicles include:
- A full-size SUV, crossover SUV, or luxury sedan.
- The vehicle must be in exceptional condition, nearly flawless inside and out.
- A sleek black exterior and interior.
- Model year requirements vary, but many cities demand 2013 models or newer.
- Compliance with local car insurance, registration, and license plate regulations.
- A successful Uber vehicle inspection.
Vehicles that epitomize the UberLUX standard cover an array of elite brands and models:
- Audi A8
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Jaguar XJ
- BMW 7 Series
- Tesla Model S
- And other high-end vehicles such as the Porsche Panamera, Maybach, Rolls Royce, Range Rover, Lexus GX, Lexus LS, and Bentley.
The Best Vehicles to Drive for Uber
The best cars for Uber drivers typically include newer models that are well-kept both inside and out, and are fully insured. Newer cars are more reliable and easier to find parts for if repairs are needed. A vehicle that’s clean and in good working order not only reduces the chance of accidents but also ensures passenger comfort. Proper insurance and registration are essential for legal and safety reasons, providing reassurance to your riders.
Among the most preferred vehicles for Uber drivers are recent versions of the:
- Honda Civic
- Toyota Camry
- Honda Accord
Opting for hybrid models of these cars can be a smart move, as it allows you to serve both the standard UberX and the eco-friendlier Uber Green categories, potentially increasing your earnings.