This post may contain affiliate links – which means we may receive compensation from purchases made through links on this site. Learn more ›
Thinking of making a little extra money each month? You might want to consider car advertising stickers. This guide will explain how car advertising works, how to identify legitimate opportunities, and how to steer clear of scams.
Easy Passive Income
Car advertising is a great way to make money passively. It truly is a “set and forget” income stream.
Our Pick: Carvertise
We choose Carvertise due to earning potential and track record in the industry.
Wrapify offers diverse wraps and frequent payouts with notable clients, whereas Free Car Media focuses on subtle advertising and holds a high BBB rating.
Potential for Scams
Make sure to avoid scams. Do your research, not committing to the first company you see.
- Understanding Car Advertising
- The Best Car Advertising Companies (Overview)
- Avoiding Car Advertising Scams
- Frequently Asked Questions
Understanding Car Advertising
Car advertising, a practice that started around 100 years ago, involves using vehicles as mobile billboards by wrapping them with vinyl advertisements.
This strategy provides a continuous method for companies to reach potential customers as the vehicle moves around. Interested individuals can sign up with car advertising companies and get paid to drive by turning their cars into promotional tools and earn passive income.
Most of these companies use an app to track driving data, determining compensation based on the exposure the advertisement receives.
Easy passive income: Especially if you already drive frequently for work or personal purposes.
Easy passive income: Especially if you already drive frequently for work or personal purposes.
High demand for rideshare drivers: If you drive for platforms like Uber, Lyft, or food delivery services, you’re an ideal candidate due to high exposure.
Potential scams: The industry has its share of dubious actors.
Driving requirements: Some companies may have specific driving requirements and might monitor your driving habits.
Insurance implications: Your car could be classified for commercial or business use.
Payments for car advertising vary based on factors such as the size of the advertisement, your location, driving frequency, and the distance you drive. Typically, earnings can range from $50 to $1,000 a month.
Each company that offers this type of service will offer a different price, so make sure to shop around and do your research before committing to one.
A highly rated car advertising company is Carvertise. Uber, Doordash, and Lyft all partner with this company for their advertising campaigns, along with 200 other companies in top markets such as New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, to name a few.
It’s a quick and straightforward process to apply as a driver for Carvertise. However, you need to have a clean driving record, drive at least 30 miles a day, and your vehicle must be a 2008 or newer model.
Once approved, the app pairs you with a company that matches your driving habits.
Drivers can earn between $100 and $200 per month for a campaign, typically lasting 2 to 6 months. That means that you could drive away with $200 to $1,200 in your pocket, depending on the campaign.
Your exact earnings will depend on how long a campaign is set to last, as well as what portion of your vehicle is actually wrapped.
In addition to full wraps — which cover your entire car, rear window, and passenger windows — Carvertise also offers partial wraps, which only cover your car doors, rear window, and back bumper.
Anyone can fill in a driver application, but in order to get matched with brands, you must meet and continue to meet these requirements:
- Drive at least 30 miles per day
- Be fully licensed and insured
- Own a 2009 car model or newer
- Own a car with a factory finish paint job
- Be able to pass an interview and background check (with a clean driving record)
Once you’re approved, you’ll be placed in a pool of potential drivers for ad campaigns targeting your area.
If you’re selected — usually based on your location, driving habits, and car specs — you’ll be able to schedule your complimentary car wrapping and unwrapping, then start earning monthly paychecks until the end of the campaign.
- Increased earnings: Carvertise allows drivers to increase profits by leaving their cars parked in certain approved high-traffic areas.
- Campaign selection: Drivers can select the campaign they partake in and are not required to fulfill a certain number of campaigns.
- New cars are the only ones permitted: Your vehicle must be a 2008 or newer model.
- Drive 30 miles a day: To qualify as a driver with Carvertise, you must drive at least 30 miles a day.
Free Car Media offers some of the best car advertising options for drivers who want more subtle advertisements.
If you just want a bit of extra cash, the company may be able to connect you to rear window ads that pay about $50 per month. Of course, full wrap advertising options are still available and much higher-paying (up to $400 per month).
The Free Car Media driver-client matching process is much like its competitors’.
You fill out an application and wait for opportunities in your area, which may take anywhere from a few days to several months. As long as you have car insurance, maintain a clean driving record, and are located in the U.S., you may qualify based on your driving habits.
After getting selected, most drivers will get details about where to go to get their car wrapped. However, if you’ve been matched with a small rear window campaign, you’ll have the decal sent directly to you with installation directions.
Free Car Media sometimes does complimentary re-wrappings when needed, since their campaigns can last anywhere from a few months to two whole years.
This company is also great to work with because it has the highest Better Business Bureau rating (an A+) out of all the leading car wrap advertising brands.
- Select ads: Free Car Media drivers can reject ads without penalty. If you refuse an ad, you are still eligible for a future campaign.
- Mostly smaller decals: Most Free Car Media campaigns are rear window decals, a benefit if you don’t want your entire car wrapped.
- Longer campaigns: Free Car Media campaigns can run from six months to 24 months, which may be too long for some drivers.
- The driver adds the decal: If you select a rear window campaign, then you are required to apply the decal.
StickerRide started in Europe and now offers services in the United States.
Don’t be alarmed when you see “kilometers” on their website. Their U.S. headquarters sits in Los Angeles, California, and they currently partner with 40,000 drivers in Europe and America.
It’s relatively easy to register with StickerRide. You simply download the app (available on both iOS and Android platforms), register your car, then pick your campaign.
StickerRide washes your car and applies the car wrap. After this, you start earning money.
Drivers must log each mile with the StickerRide app to qualify for payments. If you forget to log in, you can lose money, which is a pain point for many forgetful users.
- Easy to sign up: There are no background checks required to sign-up with StickerRide. Simply download the app and get started.
- Select your campaign: You get to choose the campaign and car wrap that will go on your car. Having a choice means you can find a company that you genuinely care about or one that matches your personal style.
- No login / no pay: If you don’t log in on the StickerRide app, you don’t get points for driving and lose potential earnings.
- Campaigns vary in vehicles and payments: No movement is the same. Some requirements are different for different cars and have different payouts. It’s difficult for drivers to know what to expect when signing up for a campaign.
If you’re familiar with sales and commission percentages, then you may prefer ReferralCars.
Drivers have the opportunity to earn more money with ReferralCars and their commission-based campaigns. These campaigns are a unique opportunity in the car advertising arena. Most other car wrapping companies are non-commission-based.
Another way that ReferralCars stands out among the competition is their smaller decals, which are typically rear window decals.
There is an application process to work with ReferralCars, and once approved, ReferralCars will assign you an account manager. The account manager gives you a campaign, ships you the decal (driver must pay for shipping), and you activate the decal with a unique keyword.
Throughout the campaign, drivers send pictures to their account manager to prove their activity.
If you start earning money within 90 days of the campaign, ReferralCars will send you a $100 gift card.
- Guaranteed earnings: If you earn money within 90 days of activating a campaign, you will get a $100 gift card.
- Commission-based small decals: ReferralCars only works with small decals (so no large car wraps required), and you can earn a commission if you drive more (unique in this industry).
- DIY Decals: Drivers are required to apply the decals to their cars on their own.
- Pay for Shipping: You also have to pay the shipping fee to receive your car decal.
Wrapify is another big name in the world of car advertising, boasting its own portfolio of big-name clients like Google, Uber, General Mills, and Zoom — some of which you may get the chance to promote on your vehicle. However, Wrapify offers a few more car wrapping options than most companies.
Your earnings for Wrapify will vary depending on the following factors:
- How much time you drive
- When you drive (driving during the day tends to earn more than at night)
- Where you drive (high-traffic areas tend to earn more)
- Type of car wrap:
- Panel: $84–140 per month (on average)
- Partial: $196–280 per month (on average)
- Full: $264–452 per month (on average)
While a full wrap will always get you the most money (about $264 to $452 per month), Wrapify knows that not every driver wants to completely cover their car.
If you want a smaller ad, you can choose Wrapify’s Static+ Rideshare Topper option — which covers your rear window and adds a taxi-style ad on top of your car for $174-$280 per month — or its Lite option, which only covers your car doors and rear window for $181-$280 per month.
You can also earn $196-$280 monthly with a partial car wrap, though this will still cover the full back of your vehicle (including the rear window) and its sides (below the windows) — more than Carvertise’s partial wrap.
But before you sign up, you should meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be able to pass a background check (including a clean driving record)
- Own a 2010 car model or newer
- Own a coupe, sedan, SUV, pick-up truck, or minivan in good condition (see ineligible vehicles here)
Once you apply, just turn on location services on the app so Wrapify can track your driving habits. This way, the car wrap advertising company can match you with opportunities based on when, where, and how often you drive.
You’ll be able to set up a free wrapping appointment soon after you get your first match.
To learn more about using Wrapify, check out our comprehensive review.
- No long-term commitments: The campaigns usually last one to three months, so you are not locked into a contract if you don’t like car advertising.
- Payouts: Wrapify pays drivers by direct deposit every other week.
- Early termination fees: Although the campaigns don’t last long, you must pay a fee if you remove the car wrap before the end of the contract.
- 2010 or older vehicles are not accepted: If you drive a car older than 2010, you can’t drive for Wrapify. There are no exceptions to this rule.
There is an AdsToGo and an AdsToGo.net – two different companies in the same industry. The most significant difference is that AdsToGo works in Canada, while AdsToGo.net has a location in the United States.
To register, enter your zip code, which lets the company know if your community is a good investment for their clients. Although it’s free to apply to AdsToGo.net, subscription levels increase the chances of getting picked as a VIP applicant.
Once approved, you must meet at an Ads2Go office to meet with a Driver Coordinator and finalize registration.
Drivers can earn $50 a month with a full car wrap and get paid monthly starting a month after wrapping their car.
- No Background Checks: There are no background checks or vehicle requirements to partner with AdsToGo.net.
- No Driving Requirements: Drivers don’t have an app tracking them or minimum miles to meet when driving with an AdsToGo.net campaign.
- Lots of competition: It appears difficult to get approved as an AdToGo.net driver. They have over 100,000 drivers in their database, and they select drivers based on their VIP status (which you must pay for).
- Payouts: Earnings are only $50 a month, and you get paid a month after getting started.
If you’re based in the St. Louis, Missouri area, Pay Me for Driving is a well-known car advertising company that offers opportunities for you to support small businesses while earning money on the road.
By applying to work with a local brand, you may even have a greater chance of getting matched since there will be far less competition from other drivers.
Like Free Car Media, Pay Me for Driving offers both rear window decal and full wrap advertising options.
The exact payment you’re offered can vary greatly from client to client, and you may be paid through one flat fee, commission, or recurring payments. You’re not obligated to accept an ad campaign if it doesn’t work for you.
To start getting matched, you simply need to fill in a driver application and meet these requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a Social Security number
- Have a valid driver’s license and car insurance
- Live and work in St. Louis, St. Louis County, or St. Charles County
- Own a car that’s driven regularly (any changes in driving habits must be reported)
- Own a car that’s clean and damage-free
- Be willing to report car wrap damages within 24 hours and get your car repaired
- Be able to pass a background check (no serious traffic violations or criminal record allowed)
When you’re matched, you’ll either receive a rear window decal to self-install or get details about your complimentary car wrapping. You’ll also receive a driver agreement and contract that you’ll need to review and sign.
Nickelytics is a notable platform for drivers who cover significant distances, particularly those driving over 30 miles daily.
For those who are on the road frequently, the platform provides an opportunity to earn decent amounts ranging from an estimated $175 to $250 per month on average. Whether you own a brand new vehicle or one that’s up to 10 years old, Nickelytics can cater to your advertising needs.
The sign-up process is pretty straightforward. Simply download the Nickelytics app, and use it during your commutes. This helps in identifying matching advertising brands based on your driving patterns. However, be prepared to provide some detailed information for registration, including a photo of your driver’s license and your car’s VIN.
Once you accept an advertising offer, you’re given the choice between a customized installation or a self-install option. It’s this flexibility that distinguishes Nickelytics from some of its competitors.
However, a point of contention is the app’s rating of 2.7 out of 5 on the Google Play store. While some users found the registration a bit cumbersome, others have reported good experiences with the company.
- Flexibility in Choices: Drivers can decide between professional or DIY ad installation.
- Suitable for Older Cars: Accepts cars up to a decade old, broadening the driver base.
- Decent Earnings: With estimated monthly earnings ranging from $175 to $250.
- App Concerns: Mixed reviews about the app, especially around the registration process.
- Manual Tracking: Drivers need to remember to turn on the app for mileage tracking, which might be cumbersome.
- Privacy Concerns: The requirement of detailed personal information, including license and VIN, can be off-putting for some.
Avoiding Car Advertising Scams
It is important to note that when exploring car advertising companies, drivers are likely to encounter many different forms of scams.
How Scam Wrap Advertisers Work
It’s critical to know how scam wrap advertisers work before getting into this industry. Typically, scam wrap advertisers overpromise and underdeliver.
Sometimes, they send you a check to cover your “initial costs” and then ask you to send them money to pay for the wrap or to cover your registration fee.
The problem is that the check they send you bounces, and you are left with less money in your bank account than before, according to the FTC.
Other scammers may ask for personal information, like your social security number, or simply never pay you what you are due.
A genuine car wrap company:
- Will not ask you to send money or pay for the wrap.
- Won’t make unrealistic promises about earnings.
- Will be transparent about potential earnings and requirements.
Additionally, be cautious of:
- Overpromised earnings.
- Requests to send money or cover initial costs.
- Requests for sensitive personal information without reason.
- No evidence of a legitimate business operation or verifiable references.
Keep these in mind before applying. And remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Make sure to trust, but verify, before moving forward.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will a wrap damage my car’s paint?
No, reputable companies use paint-friendly materials.
Can I choose the ads?
You might have some say in the campaigns you participate in, but specific designs or colors may not be up to you.
Do I need to use my personal vehicle?
Most companies require it. If you use a company car, you’re likely ineligible for most opportunities.
Does Red Bull Pay You to Advertise on Your Car?
Yes, several vehicles are currently sporting Red Bull as they drive throughout the community.
Does Budweiser Pay You to Advertise on Your Car?
While there are some current scams regarding Budweiser wraps, it is possible to sign up with a legitimate car advertising company and get paid to sport Budweiser on your car.
Does Coca-Cola Pay You to Advertise on Your Car?
Drivers who want to advertise Coca-Cola on their car simply need to sign up with the car advertising company that represents Coca-Cola, or you can attempt to contact their marketing department directly.