In a world where technology is pushing traditional boundaries, new providers are continually challenging businesses of all sectors by offering to revolutionize the service industry. Structured after the widely popular “on-demand” business models, services like these aim to make customer journey smoother, more efficient, and faster.
One such service is Postmates, which started operating in 2011 and has been rapidly expanding across cities and states throughout the United States, including Atlanta, Baltimore, Nashville, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and more.
Available for both Android and iOS, the app takes the “frustration” element out of the shopping experience for customers by removing the need to browse through stores and wait in a checkout line for everyday things like a toothbrush, shampoo, and food.
Postmates is an on-demand delivery service that uses its fleet of delivery drivers to shop and deliver what the customers request through the Postmates app. Whether a user is looking to order food from McDonald’s, a coffee from Starbucks, or something from the Apple Store, they can rely on Postmates to have items delivered to them in a timely, organized manner.
With operations in over 200 cities, couriers deliver north of one million items per month. Postmates is rigorously trying to recruit new drivers to keep up with its ever-expanding user base.
One of the core ways they do this is by offering massive sign-on bonuses for new delivery persons who sign up with a Postmates referral code.
- Copy our promo code
- Create a Postmates courier account
- Enter your basic information
- Apply though our link, or copy/paste our code in the Referral Code box
- Fill out the required information
Postmates Is Hiring
Postmates is looking for new drivers who are available to deliver goods at various days and hours that suit the driver. They’re prepared for drivers to use any form of transport to get the job done. As their website puts it, anyone who can “… drive, scoot, bike or walk” is eligible to apply.
Postmates Courier Delivery Service Requirements
Before we dive too far into the application itself, it is important to touch on the requirements to become a courier.
There aren’t too many requirements to work as an independent contractor with Postmates. Delivery vehicles allowed include bicycles, vans, cars, trucks, scooters, motorcycles, and even walking. The type of service you can provide will vary based on the choice you make.
If you meet these basic requirements, move on to the application process.
How to Apply to Become a Postmates Courier
If you’re interested in making a healthy income and have the extra hours available to work, then apply to become a Postmates courier.
Delivery drivers can expect to make around $25 an hour, work their own hours, and keep all of the tips they receive, making this gig a very lucrative and flexible schedule job. Signing up to become a Postmates courier is a pretty easy and straightforward process, and doesn’t take much time.
Potential couriers can expect to go through the following steps:
- Create a Postmates courier account by entering an email address and password.
- Enter some basic information including name, date of birth, phone number, smartphone operating system type, city to deliver in, and type of vehicle.
- Enter a Postmates driver referral code (listed below).
- Enter your current home address. It’s where you will receive your welcome kit that includes Postmates prepaid card and an insulated hot/cold bag.
- Consent to pass a background check (includes both criminal history and motor record check).
- Upload your profile picture.
- Once you receive your welcome kit, you should be able to accept your first delivery.
**Note: Our friends over at RideshareApps.com put together a very comprehensive tutorial to applying for Postmates, so if you have any questions about how to apply, check that out. You can also contact Postmates support for assistance.
What Is the Postmates Courier Referral Code?
Earlier in the article, we mentioned a Postmates courier referral code, and you are probably wondering what this is.
Well, Postmates will reward you for providing their service — they will pay you per delivery. But they will also reward new drivers for signing up for the service in the form of sign-on bonuses. The cash bonus that Postmates offers can be worth up to $200, depending on the city you sign up to deliver in. The sign-up bonus is a great way for you to earn a little extra income in addition to the already high delivery fees.
To claim the bonus, you will need to enter the driver referral code [email protected] into the “Referral Code” box in the first step of the application process. This code will give new couriers and drivers a cash bonus after they complete a certain amount of rides.
It is important to note that the referral code must be applied during the initial application process, and cannot be entered retroactively after the couriers start delivering orders. Also, note that the referral code is not the same as the Postmates promo code, which lets customers get discounts on delivery.
What Happens After You Fill Out the New Courier Application?
Once you apply to be a courier, you will go through a vetting process. These checks are simple and intended to ensure that you’re the type of person who is appropriate to maintain the high standards offered by Postmates.
You’ll have to pass a background check that can last anywhere between two to four days, sometimes longer if you have a criminal or motor vehicle history that might impact your performance as a Postmates driver. If you’re driving, Postmates will need to see your license and insurance. Once you’ve passed these tests, you will be able to work pretty much whenever you want.
Postmate Perks for Couriers
With gigs like these, the two major problems that seem to exhaust new drivers are stress and burnout. To keep its Postmates fleet motivated and interested in continuously working with the brand, they offer a variety of incentives and bonuses on top of the sign-up bonus mentioned above.
Here are two of the perks offered by Postmates:
1. Free Postmates Plus
If you make 25 deliveries in a month, you get upgraded to a Postmates Plus account for free, making you eligible to receive free deliveries on orders over $20. They have over 25,000 partner merchants you can order stuff from including Starbucks, Apple, Subway, Walgreens, and more. This reward will get applied automatically to your customer account in the following month.
Drivers who complete 10 deliveries a week can qualify for exclusive benefits through PerkSpot, which is a rewards program made up of a network of the nation’s largest local and national brands like Autozone, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Samsung.
Postmates is a pretty new company, and there are still tons of couriers that aren’t quite sure of how the application process works, or what to expect once they get approved.
For your convenience, we’ve put together a few of the most commonly asked questions that we hear from users. Check them out:
What are the most common Postmates deliveries?
While Postmates can deliver anything from an iPad to groceries, the most common delivery is for takeout food.
How do I use Postmates?
Download the app. Set up your account. Place an order for the items you want. Your shopping list will be shown to the courier who will purchase the items, and then deliver it within the time frame identified at the time you placed the order.
Where is Postmates available?
The number of cities that Postmates operates in increases regularly. There are now over 200 locations that offer a Postmates service.
How much does a Postmates delivery cost?
The base fee for delivery starts at $5, plus a 9 percent service fee for the value of the item you purchased. The actual delivery payout will vary based on the distance from pick-up to drop-off, and the capacity of the courier.
Does Postmates pricing change at peak times of high demand?
Yes. Blitz pricing is put in place when delivery demands are higher than normal, such as during peak times. The increased pricing is aimed to encourage Postmates couriers to be available, helping ensure delivery time frames gets met. You’ll be informed on the app when you place your order that Blitz pricing is in place, and you will have a chance to delay or cancel your order if you are uncomfortable with the premium cost.
What can I have delivered by a Postmates delivery courier?
Check the details of what’s available in your location. The range of providers using the Postmates service varies in every location. You can even have Craigslist items delivered. However, you will need to pay the seller directly, or the seller will need to accept a credit card for your payment.
Can I change my order after I’ve placed it on the Postmates app?
The Postmates app gives you the ability to contact your courier. If you want to change something on your order, contact your courier as soon as you can. Just note that if your change involves the courier needing to meet additional tasks, the delivery may take longer than the time stated when you ordered.
Who are Postmates couriers?
Postmates couriers are people who have passed background checks and met the guidelines for the ability to maintain Postmates high standards for deliveries. Anyone can be a Postmates courier. If you would like to apply, you’re welcome to do so.
How do I contact my courier?
Once your delivery gets assigned to a courier, you will be able to contact the courier through the app.
What customers do Postmates deliver to?
Postmates will deliver to homes and businesses. Postmates can even deliver to locations such as public places or hospital wards – they will just need clear directions. That part is up to you as the customer.
What are batched and chained deliveries?
Batched and chained deliveries are features that allow you to make the most out of your delivery routes at any given time.
With batched delivery, you can pick up multiple orders from the same place at once, and then complete the multiple deliveries in one route. When you accept a delivery request, the app will automatically notify you of the other orders that are available to be picked up from the same location. You can then pick up the orders and deliver them one by one as you go. The app will automatically direct you to the next location after each delivery.
Chained deliveries are similar to batched delivery in that it also allows you to make more deliveries in the shortest time possible. This feature allows you to accept multiple deliveries from multiple locations and then drop them off to the customers who live in close proximity to each other. The app will automatically notify you about the deliveries on your route that needs to pick up. You are free to accept the request or not, but if you do, it will automatically get added to your route.
Both of these allow drivers to make more money in their shifts and help them reach bonuses and incentives faster. If you do decide to try these features, please make sure that you deliver the right order to the right customer.
What if the customer isn’t available at the destination?
In the unlikely scenario where you picked up the order but are unable to get in touch with the customer to deliver it, just indicate that within the app. The app will trigger off a timer set at 5 minutes. If the customer is still out of reach, you will have to return the items back to the pick-up location.
Do I get rated for making deliveries?
Yes. The rating system is based on a 5-star scale, and it helps keep the couriers motivated enough to do their job to the best of their abilities. Postmates requires you to keep your rating at 4.7 or above. Anything less than that can get your account suspended.
A few factors that can affect your ratings include:
- How long it takes for you to deliver the items
- If you got any customer complaints (such as missing or wrong items)
- If they think the customer service they received was worth a high rating
Not all couriers are happy about the rating scale, and some have even complained that 4.7 is too high a bar to maintain, but every company has different requirements. Just do your best with each delivery, and keep your attitude positive, because that will reflect on your stars.
Where can I deliver for Postmates?
Postmates is available in a variety of American cities. Here are just a few of them:
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- New York City
- San Diego
- San Francisco Bay Area
- St. Louis
- Washington, D.C.
For a full list of places where Postmates operates, check out this page on Postmates.com.
6 Reasons to Consider Delivering for Postmates
- Flexible hours — Most people who join Postmates as couriers are looking for a quick part-time job to do during free time, and this company is perfect for that. College kids, busy parents, or even someone working a 9–5 job who wants to make some extra money in an hour or two can work as a courier during the evenings, early mornings, or even late night. This is not to say that there will be orders available at all the hours of the day since that heavily depends on your location, but the potential is always there.
- Variety of markets to choose from — Postmates is known for its on-demand food delivery. Customers place an order at a restaurant and a courier picks it up and delivers it to them. But Postmates is more than that. They deliver all sorts of goods, from electronics to toothbrushes to women’s leggings. This especially comes handy if you live in a busy town and want to avoid areas with limited parking.
- No car needed — Postmates doesn’t have stringent vehicle requirements to make your delivery; you are free to use any form of transportation. You can fulfill the orders through cars, bicycles, motorcycles and even on foot. As long as you can deliver the correct item to the correct customer fast, that’s all that matters.
- Keep all your tips — Yes, you keep 100 percent of the tips. This is a fantastic addition to the hourly rate you already make. Most customers do tip their couriers and in the long run, these few bucks add up and make a significant difference to the final payment you receive.
- Not driving people around — Unlike Uber drivers, with Postmates, you aren’t shuttling people around, so you don’t have to worry about striking up a conversation with your passengers, dealing with bad riders, or stressing about whether they like the music you have on for them or not. You are only driving around goods which are far easier to manage than humans.
- Blitz bonuses — Delivering during rush hours lets you enjoy attractive Blitz bonuses on top of your standard rates and tips. This is a much higher rate than the standard fee, and with tips, your payout will be even grander.
Become a Postmate and Reap the Rewards
Postmates has gained traction pretty fast. The service provides customers with the opportunity to have a wide range of goods delivered on request within a short timeframe.
For people looking for employment opportunities, Postmates provides the option to earn a healthy income with relatively low investment. If Postmates isn’t available in your city yet, be patient. With the rapid growth in the service, you might see the opportunity arrive soon. In the meantime, you can also look into driving for one of the other services below: