Working with the world’s largest e-commerce corporation doesn’t mean you need to give up the flexible schedule you want.
Just like a rideshare driver, you can earn money from the comfort of your car with your smartphone as your co-pilot. Your opportunity to be your own boss, while getting paid by a trillion-dollar brand, starts when you apply for Amazon Flex.
Amazon didn’t become a massive, online marketplace by chance. In order to get there, it has recruited hundreds of thousands of employees over the years — as well as many independent contractors on the Amazon Flex team. As part of this team, you can start making money while helping consumers get the reliable service they need.
We’ll guide you through everything you need to know about becoming an Amazon Flex driver.
- What Is Amazon Flex?
- How Do Amazon Flex Deliveries Work?
- How Much Do Amazon Flex Drivers Make?
- Amazon Flex Driver Requirements
- How to Apply for Amazon Flex
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Amazon Flex?
Amazon Flex is one of many delivery driver jobs the ecommerce giant offers.
Flex is a program that connects everyday drivers with opportunities to deliver packages on behalf of the e-commerce brand. Independent contractors who are accepted into the program essentially help fill in the driver supply gaps when there’s high demand — and you can simply accept the offers that fit into your schedule.
If you’ve ever received an Amazon delivery from someone without a uniform or branded vehicle, you’ve already seen the program in action. Amazon Flex delivery drivers can be found throughout the United States, helping fulfill many of the same duties as the company’s part-time and full-time drivers.
How Do Amazon Flex Deliveries Work?
Delivery drivers are offered earning opportunities in the form of “delivery blocks,” which are typically two to six-hour shifts that you can accept through your Amazon Flex app. Each shift will be focused on one of three types of deliveries:
- Amazon.com: When fulfilling the classic Amazon.com order, you’ll always start at a local delivery station, as assigned on your app, then drive Amazon packages to customers for three to six hours.
- Prime Now or Amazon Fresh: The pick-up location for both of these grocery delivery services is usually at a Prime Now delivery station near you. You can expect to deliver items to customers for two to four hours.
- Store Orders: Sometimes, you’ll be offered orders that you must pick up from a local store, instead of a delivery station. You’ll still be delivering items directly to your customers for a two to four-hour block.
In some markets, you may even be able to receive “Instant Offers.” These are short delivery blocks — lasting no more than 45 minutes — that are offered based on your current location while you’re logged into the app.
Depending on when you complete an order, your payment will be processed on a Tuesday or Friday via direct deposit.
If you can’t make a delivery block that you’ve previously accepted, you must forfeit it on your Amazon Flex app at least 45 minutes prior to your shift. Otherwise, it may count against you as a missed block. After too many missed blocks, you are put at risk for being deactivated as an Amazon Flex driver.
How Much Do Amazon Flex Drivers Make?
The majority of Amazon Flex delivery partners make between $18 and $25 per hour, by the company’s estimates. While your exact earnings will vary based on your location and the current demand, you’ll always see your guaranteed Amazon Flex payment before you accept a delivery block.
For some types of deliveries, you may be eligible to receive tips from customers to boost your earnings even further.
Before you apply for Amazon Flex based on these numbers, keep in mind that all drivers are still independent contractors, which means you won’t qualify for any benefits. You’ll also be responsible for all job-related expenses, including gas and car maintenance costs, as well as self-employment taxes.
Amazon Flex Driver Requirements
While anyone can apply to the delivery program, your ability to meet Amazon Flex driver requirements is the deciding factor in whether or not you’ll be approved. In order to become a delivery driver, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Have a Social Security number.
- Own a four-door midsize sedan or a larger vehicle like an SUV (trucks must have a covered bed).
- Have valid auto insurance and proof of registration.
- Be able to pass a background check.
- Have a bank account to receive your direct deposit.
- Have an eligible smartphone. iPhones must be iPhone 5S or later models and run on iOS 11 or newer. Android phones must run on Android 6.0 or later and be at least 2 GB with a camera, flash, GPS, and SIM card.
While smaller sedans may not be eligible for the Flex program, these requirements overall are far easier to meet than those of Uber and Lyft since you won’t be driving any passengers around.
How to Apply for Amazon Flex
Once you know you meet all of these driver requirements, applying for Amazon Flex is a breeze.
To start, you need to download the Amazon Flex app. iPhone users can do so by simply heading to the App Store. Android users, on the other hand, must head to this download page from their smartphones and tap “Download Android App” (you must provide permissions to complete the download).
As soon as the app is downloaded, open it and follow these steps:
1. Tap “Create an Account” at the bottom of the screen.
2. Fill in your name, email address, and preferred password, then tap “Create your Amazon account.” Alternatively, if you have an existing Amazon account, you can tap “Sign-in now” and log in with your email or phone number and password.
3. Provide the location permissions, camera access, and phone state permissions requested by the Amazon Flex app.
4. Tap “Get Started” to answer some qualifying questions. You’ll be asked to provide your zip code, availability, and vehicle type.
From here, you may be able to move on and provide required documents, tax information, and payment details. Otherwise, you’ll be asked to join a wait list if no opportunities are available in your city.
If you were able to continue and complete all prompts for sign-up, the next steps will be waiting for your background check to be approved and watching some helpful training videos.
Frequently Asked Questions
The process to apply for Amazon Flex is just as easy as qualifying for the gig. Read these frequently asked questions for more insight into opportunities with the delivery program.
1. Where are Amazon Flex delivery jobs available?
The Amazon Flex program operates in over 50 cities across the United States, including New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Chicago, and Washington, D.C. But, the availability of gigs within these cities varies based on demand, which changes throughout the year.
As of March 30, 2020, Amazon Flex gigs are available in Lansing, Michigan, and in the greater Seattle area of Washington state. You can check for the most accurate information about job openings on the “Get Started” page of the program’s website.
2. When can I find the most Amazon Flex job openings?
The holiday season tends to be the best time to apply for Amazon Flex gigs. During this busy time for package deliveries, Amazon — much like UPS with their Personal Vehicle drivers — ramps up its hiring across the country to keep up with rising demand.
3. Can I work for Amazon Flex full-time?
Absolutely. If you want to apply for Amazon Flex and turn it into more than a side hustle, you’re not alone. Many drivers have successfully worked 40-hour weeks on a consistent basis since opportunities are available every single day of the week.
However, because you’re not a traditional employee and other drivers can pick up available blocks before you, you’re not guaranteed any amount of hours.
Earn Cash With Package Delivery
If you’re looking for a way to earn on the road without inviting passengers into your car, Amazon Flex offers plenty of gigs with great pay, all across the country.
Whether you want to deliver traditional packages or help fulfill grocery delivery requests, this program makes earning easy with guaranteed payments for every delivery block you accept. At the same time, you’ll still have the flexible schedule you’ve always wanted.