- Lyft Promo Code List
- How to Claim Your Lyft Promo Code
- Is the First Lyft Ride Free for New Users?
- Why Does Lyft Offer Free Credit for New Users?
- Lyft Promo Codes for Existing Users
- More Ways to Save
- Lyft Promo Code FAQ
Disclosure: Ridester.com is supported by our users. We may recieve compensation from the companies whose products we write about, test, or review. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. Please refer to our Affiliate Disclosure for more information.
How would you like a free ride credit good towards your first Lyft ride? Thanks to the latest Lyft promo codes, you can have it.
If you’re looking for a complete guide with all the best promotions, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to get active Lyft promo codes for new and existing users, as well as more ways to save money on the Lyft app.
Lyft is currently giving new riders who sign up and use the Lyft promo code “RIDESTERLYFT” for $5 in free ride credit so they can experience the platform for themselves.
The credit amount varies by city and can change at any time, so claim yours now before time runs out!
Note: If our featured new Lyft user code doesn’t work for you, select another from the full list below. The promo codes can sometimes be finicky, so try again until you see the credit applied to your account.
All of these promo codes are active as of 2021, but we recommend you apply them as soon as possible to ensure they still work when you sign up. These promotions are listed in order of total value, but consider which one will give you the best discount based on your Lyft usage before you apply.
- Copy our coupon code
- Download the Lyft App
- Create your Rider account
- Set up your profile and payment information
- In the PAYMENT section, paste the promo code in “Add Credit/Gift Code”
This promotion is a great way for new customers to try the platform for less than a normal ride would cost.
How to Apply Lyft Codes
Now that you have the Lyft code or link you want to use, applying it to your Lyft account is the next step. This process is painless and can be completed in the matter of minutes.
Using a Lyft Promo Link
Signing up through a Lyft promo link is an easy way to apply a Lyft coupon code directly to your account, without worrying about spelling the code incorrectly. All you need to do is:
1. Open your desired Lyft promo link on your smartphone or computer.
2. Enter your phone number in the space provided and tap “Download & Claim.” You’ll get a “Now check your phone” message if your phone number was successfully entered.
3. Check your phone for a text from Lyft, which should include a Lyft download link. Tap on this link and follow all prompts provided, which may include downloading the Lyft app and signing up, to apply the discount.
In the rare case that a promo link has hit its maximum amount of uses, you may receive a text that says, “Sorry, this code has been used up.” You’ll still be able to try out other promo links if this occurs.
Using a Lyft Promo Code
1. Open your Lyft app
2. Tap the menu icon on the upper lefthand corner of your screen.
3. Tap on the “Promos” tab.
4. Type your desired promo code in the “Enter promo code” section and tap “Apply.”
Successfully entered codes will automatically appear on this Promos page. You’ll get an error message if the application wasn’t successful, in which case you can test out other codes.
|Lyft Promo Code||Promotion Amount|
|LYFTPROMO25||Receive $2.50 off your first 10 rides ($25 total credit)|
|SAVE20||Use this code to receive $20 in free Lyft credit for your first ride.|
|LYFTPROMO18||Receive $3 off your first six rides ($18 total credit).|
|LYFTPROMO16||Receive $4 off your first four rides ($16 total credit).|
|LYFTPROMO15||Receive $5 off your first three rides ($15 total credit).|
|NEWUSER10||Receive $5 off your first two rides ($10 total credit).|
|RIDESTERLYFT||Receive up to $5 off your first two rides ($10 total credit).|
All of these promo codes are active as of January 2021, but we recommend you apply them as soon as possible to ensure they still work when you sign up. These promotions are listed in order of total value, but consider which one will give you the best discount based on your Lyft usage before you apply.
If your Lyft gift code isn’t working, there may be a few reasons why:
- Credit is expired: Most Lyft promo codes expire after a limited time, in our case, 14 days. If you wait too long to use the code and request a ride after the code’s expiration date, the credit will disappear from your account, and you’ll have to pay full price for your rides.
- Promotion is location-specific: Some Lyft credit codes are location-specific and only work in certain cities. A Lyft ride credit may be valid in one city, like San Diego, but invalid in another, like San Francisco.
- Another code has already been applied: If you’re trying to use more than one Lyft credit code on a specific ride, you’ll receive an error. According to the official Lyft website, “you cannot use more than one credit per ride, but you can switch between credits on the Payment screen after the ride.”
- Using it on a business ride: If you’re taking a Lyft for your work under a business profile, then these free credits won’t count towards your ride because your employer will most likely reimburse you for the fare.
- Not the same currency: If you’re in Canada and you use a promo code designed for new users in the United States, it won’t work. Make sure that the currency of the promo code you’re trying to use matches with your country.
If you need help applying your code, reach out to Lyft directly and run the issue by customer support.
Is the First Lyft Ride Free for New Users?
Your first ride with Lyft isn’t automatically free, but it easily can be when you apply a Lyft promo code before you make your request. Using the code “SAVE20” ($20 off your first ride) is currently the best way for first-time users to get a complimentary ride, as it can fully cover rides over 10 miles away, depending on your location and the first ride with Lyft isn’t automatically free, but it easily can be when you apply a Lyft promo code before you make your request. Using the code “SAVE20” ($20 off your first ride) is currently the best way for first-time users to get a complimentary ride, as it can fully cover rides over 10 miles away, depending on your location and the current Prime Time pricing. Other promo codes, such as “LYFTPROMO15″ ($5 off three rides) can cover a significant chunk of your first-time request for shorter distance rides. However, they’re unlikely to get you a completely free Lyft ride in most markets due to minimum fares set for all ride options.” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>current Prime Time pricing.
Other promo codes, such as “LYFTPROMO15” ($5 off three rides) can cover a significant chunk of your first-time request for shorter distance rides. However, they’re unlikely to get you a completely free Lyft ride in most markets due to minimum fares set for all ride options.
Why Does Lyft Offer Free Credit for New Users?
Frequent internet users have probably seen a considerable amount of rideshare promo codes in the past few years. Ride-hailing apps — especially Uber and Lyft — are constantly competing for the biggest market share, which means they’ll happily give you free ride credits or discounts if that’s what it takes for you to join. Lyft constantly tries to one-up Uber by offering more attractive promotions.
This is where the free Lyft ride credit comes into play. For the longest time, Lyft only offered $10-$20 per new user. But as Uber became more aggressive, so did Lyft. The main party that continuously benefits the most from this constant tug-of-war are new riders.
Users will be delighted to know that the credit doesn’t go away after you take your first ride. Unlike Uber’s referral program where remaining credits don’t roll over to the next ride, the Lyft credit will remain in your rider account even if you don’t use all of it on the first ride.
This promotion is also great for existing Lyft users as they can earn a ton of free ride credit for referring friends and new users to the platform (more on that below). This strategy has allowed Lyft to experience rapid growth and has redefined the referral programs for the future.
Lyft Promo Codes for Existing Users
After you’ve used up your credits from new customer promotions, there are still a handful of ways to get discounts as an existing Lyft user. Here are three opportunities you still have to claim promo codes and savings.
1. Promo Codes
While existing users are rarely eligible for discount codes generally listed on coupon sites, Lyft sends its current users promotions every once in a while. You’ll typically receive these promotions via email, or they’ll be applied directly to your account. The best way to ensure you receive these exclusive discounts is by staying subscribed to Lyft’s promotional emails and keeping your Lyft app’s push notifications on.
More recently, Lyft has also begun to list active offers for existing users on this Lyft promo codes page. The current promotion — 25% off your next Lyft Lux ride with the code “LYFTLUX25” — is currently out of stock, but make sure to check back in the future in case the offer becomes available again or new offers are added.
Additionally, there are also Lyft codes tied to specific events, such as SXSW, festivals, conferences, or other promotional branding opportunities that can be used by existing users. But, these codes are usually only good for a few days or only good in the cities where the events are happening.
2. Lyft Ride Pass
Ride Passes aren’t being offered to all existing users at the moment, but if you’re a frequent user of Lyft, you may find a Ride Pass invitation in your inbox every so often. These ride passes allow you to purchase a bulk amount of rides at a discounted price (ex: $5 off 15 rides).
If you do get an invite, you simply need to follow the prompts to purchase the Ride Pass by tapping “Get the Pass” in your email. If you don’t get an invite, you can always try to contact Lyft to try to get access, especially if you’re a highly active rider.
If you’re not qualified for any Lyft promo codes for existing users, you can always earn Lyft ride credits by referring friends and family members onto the platform. You can earn $5 in ride credits (earnings may vary by city) for every new customer you refer who completes a ride. To find your referral code:
- Open the Lyft app.
- Tap the menu icon on the upper left hand corner of your screen.
- Select the “Free Rides” tab.
- Take note of your referral code and tap “Share” to send invites as desired.
Lyft’s referral program even allows you to earn hundreds of dollars in ride credits for referring new drivers. All you need to do is provide potential drivers with the same referral code from your “Free Rides” section. As long as your referred driver completes the local driver bonus requirements (browse terms in the same section to learn more), you’ll get credits added to your account.
4. Additional Methods
Here are 4 additional methods to save, submitted by Ridester’s loyal readers.
- Take advantage of Uber New Rider promo code: If you’ve exhausted your new rider promo code for Lyft and haven’t tried Uber yet, they also offer a promo code for new accounts. Right now, Uber is offering up to $15 off the first ride. But don’t limit yourself to Uber. If there are more local rideshare apps available in your city, see if they offer special coupons for new riders.
- Take a ride with a new Lyft or Uber user: If you have a friend who just signed up for one of the rideshare apps who’s heading to the same place as you, tag along for a ride with them. They’ll get a free first ride and so will you.
- Use a Lyft Shared (formerly known as Lyft Line): If you don’t mind sharing your ride with other passengers, order a Lyft Shared. This is Lyft’s carpooling service that automatically matches you up with other riders heading the same route as you. By using a Lyft Shared, you can lower your ride fare by up to 60%.
Even More Ways to Save
One of the latest money-saving opportunities that all Lyft riders can take advantage of is Lyft Pink, a service that has now replaced the company’s former All-Access Plan. Lyft Pink allows users to get exclusive access to special perks and savings for just $19.99 per month. As a Lyft Pink member, you gain:
- A 15% discount on all rides with no Lyft promo code needed
- Three free cancellation fees per month, if you rebook within 15 minutes (typically $10 per cancellation)
- No return fees if you leave an item behind on a ride (typically $15 per lost item)
- Priority airport pick-ups
- Special discounts exclusive to Lyft Pink users
- Three free 30-minute Lyft Bike or Lyft Scooter rides per month
These incredible deals are made even sweeter if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve or J.P. Morgan Reserve credit card. This is because you can currently get one free year of complimentary Lyft Pink membership without any obligation to join after the year is up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you have the best Lyft promo codes available today, you can get started on saving with your next ride, whether you’re an existing or new customer. Here are answers to some additional questions that you may still have about saving with Lyft:
1. Do Lyft promo codes have expiration dates?
Some Lyft codes have stated expiration dates, which can often be seen at the bottom of a promotional email or in a linked terms and conditions page. However, for longer-running Lyft offers, an exact expiration date sometimes isn't stated. In these cases, the company has the right to end — or change, in the case of referral codes — any given offer at any time. Because of this, we highly recommend using your Lyft promo codes sooner rather than later, though it should also be noted that referral codes typically expire within 15 days of activation.
2. Can I get free ride credits if I sign up to become a Lyft driver?
Lyft does not offer free ride credits for new drivers, but if you're committed to becoming a Lyft driver, you can take advantage of a Lyft driver earnings guarantee. The value of this earnings guarantee varies by location, but it's always a cash bonus for drivers who complete a set amount of trips in their first 30 days. For example, drivers in the Phoenix market can currently get an $800 guarantee for completing 140 rides in 30 days (no Lyft promo code needed). This bonus is paid out in real cash and can be used on anything — including your future Lyft rides.
3. When using a Lyft promo code, are there any limits to where I can request a ride?
Unless otherwise stated in the terms and conditions, you'll typically be able to request a ride to anywhere within 100 miles of a Lyft market, as long as you begin the trip in a Lyft city. However, Lyft does commonly state limitations like maximum savings, so a 20% promo code may only be helpful for up to $10 in savings. Promotions for trips to and from specific airports or event venues also occur once in a while.
4. How many Lyft promo codes can I use?
You may use one Lyft promo code at a time. Your first ride will be credited to your account and will be used on your first ride automatically. You can refer others to download Lyft using your Lyft referral code, but if you’re a first-time user you can only use one Lyft ride code upon initial sign up.
5. Can I keep using my Lyft promo code after I take my first ride?
Unfortunately the code is only good for one ride, but if you have credits remaining from your first ride promo code, you can still use that up on your next ride. Please see our section above on referring friends to get more free Lyft rides..
6. How will I know who my Lyft driver is?
Through Amp, an LED beacon that’s strapped to the dashboard of the driver’s car. It helps you and your driver find each other seamlessly. When your driver arrives, the Amp will light up a specific color. For example, if the Amp starts flashing the Lyft logo in blue, your app will allow you to turn your phone screen blue so that you can just wave it at your driver’s car to get their attention. This feature is perfect to find your Lyft car in a crowded space where many other passengers might be requesting rides. Some drivers will also have Lyft stickers on their windows. You’ll also see the license plate number and the driver’s name on your app, which you can confirm when they pull up.
7. What happens if my ride costs more than my credit?
If your free Lyft ride credit is not enough to cover the ride, you’ll be charged the difference via your electronic payment method on file.
8. Can I tip and rate my driver?
Yes. You’ll be given a chance to tip and rate your drivers after your ride. All of the tips go to the driver and you can tip them up to 72 hours after the ride is complete. Tips can be made either through the app or with cash. You can’t use Lyft credits to tip drivers.
9. Can I split the fare with my friend?
Yes. All you have to do is tap the “Split payment” icon in the app to open up your contact list. You can split the cost evenly with up to five friends. The app will send the split fare request to the selected friends through text. Make sure that they accept the split request.
10. Can I cancel my ride?
Yes, but you’ll be charged a cancellation fee if you cancel the ride after two minutes have passed since the driver accepted your request. You’ll also be charged a cancellation fee if the driver is at the pick-up location within five minutes of the estimated arrival time.
11. Can I schedule a ride in advance?
Yes, but this feature is only available for standard Lyft ride requests and not for ride options like Lyft Plus or Lyft Premier. You can schedule rides up to seven days in advance. You can do this through the “Set pickup” feature on your app. If you choose to cancel the ride within 30 minutes of the driver’s scheduled pick-up time, you’ll be charged $10 for a cancellation fee.
Save on Your Next Ride
Getting to your next destination doesn’t have to come with a high price tag. When you use Lyft promo codes as a new or existing user, you can get great discounts on your rides and sometimes even free rides, too. With this guide, you can easily find and apply the best Lyft codes that work for your needs.
If riding with Uber is more your speed, or you wisely want to take advantage of ridesharing deals on both platforms, take a look at our guide to Uber promo codes and how to use them.
Brett Helling is the owner of Ridester.com. He has been a rideshare driver since early 2012, having completed hundreds of trips for companies including Uber, Lyft, and Postmates. In 2014 he acquired Ridester.com to share his experiences with other drivers. His insights are regularly quoted by publications such as Forbes, Vice, CNBC, and more. He is currently working on a book about working in the Gig Economy, expanding his skill set beyond the rideshare niche. Read more about Brett here.