- Does Grubhub Offer a Student Discount?
- Eligibility for Grubhub Student Discounts
- How to Sign Up for Grubhub Student Discount
- Can You Cancel the Grubhub+ Student membership?
- Exploring the Benefits of Grubhub Student Discounts
- Additional Tips for Students Using Grubhub
- Is the Grubhub Student Discount Worth It?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Does Grubhub Offer a Student Discount?
Yes, Grubhub offers a student discount through its Grubhub+ Student membership, available to students and educators.
The high cost of Grubhub makes it difficult for students to order takeout and power through their long study sessions, so the company built a special membership provides several benefits, including:
- No delivery fees for orders over $12 from participating restaurants or campus dining.
- Unlimited free delivery on all food orders for Grubhub members.
- Premium customer support.
- Matching contributions when you participate in Donate the Change at select restaurants.
- Exclusive access to special coupons, discounts, and promotional programs.
It’s important to note that the minimum order amount of $12 must be met with food items only, excluding taxes, tips, and other fees. Also, the Grubhub Student Discount, available to students enrolled in select universities, allows upgrading to Grubhub Plus membership for additional perks like free delivery and exclusive promotions.
Some universities also offer their own promo codes and special deals on Grubhub, and students may be able to use their university’s dining dollars for Grubhub orders.
Amazon Prime Student
Students can also take advantage of Grubhub+ Student membership, also known as Seamless+. This is complimentary for Amazon Prime Student members.
Whether you’re a new or existing customer, you’ll need to have an Amazon Prime Student account. Once that’s set up, activate your free Grubhub+ Student membership through the Grubhub member portal.
Related Promotion: Zipcar for students
Eligibility for Grubhub Student Discounts
All students enrolled in select universities and post-secondary education can enter their information on Grubhub, upgrading to Grubhub Plus free of charge. However, this ultimately depends on your university.
Once you upgrade, you can benefit from the features anytime, anywhere. You aren’t limited to just ordering food on campus.
If auto verification fails, you might need to manually verify your student status by either contacting your university or e-mailing Grubhub.
Typically, Grubhub will require you to upload school-issued documents, such as transcripts, a valid student ID, a class schedule, or a registration slip.
The discount isn’t universal; it only applies to participating restaurants. These are indicated by a “Grubhub+” badge. When you order from these establishments, the free delivery discount is applied automatically at checkout without the need for special codes, and you can use your membership benefits as often as you like.
How to Sign Up for Grubhub Student Discount
To sign up for the Grubhub Student Discount, follow these steps:
- Go to the Grubhub website.
- Look for the Grubhub+ student membership option and select it.
- If available, opt-in for the free trial period to try the service.
- Amazon Prime Student members are eligible for a complimentary Grubhub+ Student membership, so ensure to link your accounts.
- For Seamless+ members seeking the student discount, the process is straightforward and similar to the Grubhub+ signup.
How Grubhub works is that there’s no need to wait for Grubhub to verify your info. Once you enter your student information, you’ll be able to activate the membership immediately and benefit from premium features.
Many users have noticed that their premium membership doesn’t automatically upgrade once they add their information.
In this case, you might need to re-open the application, and then navigate to the membership page. You should find the option to upgrade to Grubhub Plus for $0.
If you still can’t upgrade, you might need to update the application or re-install it. It’s also essential to double-check if your college is on Grubhub’s student discount list.
How do I merge Amazon Prime Student with Grubhub+ Student?
Once you have an active Amazon Prime Student account, your Grubhub+ Student account will create automatically when you activate your membership. If you have an existing Grubhub+ Student membership, your Grubhub+ account will migrate to the end of your current billing cycle, beginning your free membership.
Can You Cancel the Grubhub+ Student membership?
Yes, you can cancel your Grubhub+ Student membership at any time by contacting Grubhub customer support.
If you’re an Amazon Prime Student member, be aware that canceling your Grubhub+ Student membership will immediately end your Grubhub benefits, but your Amazon Prime Student account remains unaffected.
If your Amazon Prime Student membership expires or is canceled, you’ll lose the free Grubhub+ Student membership. Your Grubhub account will return to its previous state before the Amazon Prime Student association.
If you had a paid Grubhub+ Student membership before, it will resume from the point where you joined Amazon Prime Student. If you were not a Grubhub+ member prior to Amazon Prime Student, you’ll need to sign up for Grubhub+ Student again to regain those benefits.
Exploring the Benefits of Grubhub Student Discounts
There’s no denying that college can be a financially difficult time for students. It’s also rather stressful. Luckily, a Grubhub membership can make things much easier for the following reasons:
- Exclusive Deals: Grubhub Plus gives you access to early bird and exclusive offers on all your favorite restaurants. You might receive frequent student discounts, allowing you to save even more.
- Free Delivery: One of the main perks of Grubhub Plus is the fast, free delivery. This way, you can order from any restaurant, whether it’s nearby or far, without worrying about the delivery fee.
- Grubhub Campus Dining: If you’re enrolled in your college dining program, you probably use special cash. Well, many universities have exclusive deals with Grubhub, allowing you to make use of this cash on the food delivery app.
- Bypass Waiting Queue: During prime hours, you might find your go-to restaurant on Grubhub busy, so you’ll wait in a virtual line. Fortunately, Grubhub Plus gives you priority, so you won’t have to wait as long!
Additional Tips for Students Using Grubhub
Though the special membership perks of Grubhub Plus are worth it, here are a couple of tips to improve your food ordering experience and save a couple of extra bucks:
Grubhub Plus readily waives the delivery fee if you order over $12 worth of food. However, sometimes you just might not be hungry.
You can ask your college mates if they’d like to order from one Grubhub account. This way, you all save some extra cash as well as make some new friends.
Choose Restaurants With Exclusive Deals
Student discounts and promo codes aren’t the only way to save money on Grubhub. You might find restaurants with Grubhub-exclusive discounts.
These meals are usually cheaper than if you were to order directly from the restaurant. You’ll also be able to stack your discount code.
Tip Your Delivery Driver
Though you might be tempted to save money, we recommend tipping your delivery driver, regardless of the student discount you got.
Most rideshare and delivery drivers rely on tips to get by. Accordingly, tipping 20% is always the way to go.
Is the Grubhub Student Discount Worth It?
The Grubhub Student Discount is worthwhile if you frequently order food for delivery.
Consider the delivery costs to your area, how often you order, and the amount of food you purchase. If these expenses surpass the cost of a Grubhub+ Student membership, then the membership is cost-effective.
Additionally, if you’re an Amazon Prime Student member, you get Grubhub+ Student membership for free, combining the benefits of both services for the price of one, making it an excellent value.
This is especially advantageous if you frequently shop on Amazon. If you don’t order delivery often and don’t utilize Amazon Prime benefits, the membership may not be as beneficial.
However, with Amazon’s various student discounts and perks, the dual membership can offer substantial savings. This analysis excludes Grubhub Campus and Corporate memberships.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are questions customers of Grubhub and members of Grubhub+ Student and Amazon Prime Student often have.
Do You Lose the Grubhub Student Discount Once You Graduate?
You will lose the Grubhub Student Discount when your Amazon Prime Student membership ends, such as after graduation. To maintain Grubhub+ Student perks, you must renew or sign up for a new Grubhub+ membership, as your eligibility depends on the status of your Amazon Prime Student account.
Can You Get Alcohol With a Grubhub Student Discount?
No. Grubhub will not apply a student discount to any order that contains alcohol. Additionally, Grubhub only delivers alcohol in specific markets and there are strict rules about how much alcohol and proving you can legally purchase alcohol.
What does Grubhub+ Student cost?
Currently, Grubhub+ Student costs $9.99 a month. Membership is free if you are an Amazon Prime Student member, which costs about the same per month.