Uber is one of the fastest-growing companies in the world, achieving record signup rates for both drivers and riders, and is backed by a war chest worth billions. And thanks to the sheer amount of seemingly endless current Uber promotions, the company will likely continue to experience even more explosive growth for years to come. But what exactly are these promotions that Uber is offering?
These promotions can be broken down into two parts: promotions for drivers, and promotions for riders. In an effort to get drivers onto the platform, Uber offers new drivers massive sign-on bonuses worth hundreds of dollars. To get new riders onto the platform, the company offers free ride credit good towards their first ride. These promotions have proved to be incredibly effective so far, and played a massive part in Uber’s rapid growth.
The amount of the various promotions that Uber is currently offering varies by city, and changes often based on driver and rider demand. While we try to track these as accurately as possible, there is a slight chance that we may miss something, so please refer to the links to the official Uber website in the promotion description before signing up.
That being said, let’s take a look at each promotion in more detail.
Current Uber Driver Promotions
Uber is currently offering drivers quite a few different promotions to recruit and retain them on their platform. In their constant battle with Lyft, they offer more and more so drivers will consistently drive without switching over to the other side.
New Uber Driver Sign-On Bonus
If you have been on the fence about becoming an Uber driver, learning about their new driver sign-on bonuses will make you rush to sign up. When you sign up as a new Uber driver, you can get a massive cash bonus, which varies by city depending on what city you sign up to drive in. This new driver bonus is hands down the most lucrative Uber promotion to date, and is pretty easy to get if you plan on driving for the service.
In order to receive your cash bonus, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Pass the mandatory background check
- Meet Uber’s insurance policy
- Have a clean driving record
- Have a post 2005 four-door vehicle in good condition
- Have a smartphone
- Take at least 25 trips in the first 30 days
Although it may seem like a lot of requirements, the first six are things you must meet in order to become an Uber driver. So, once you are hired as an Uber driver, simply take at least 25 trips within the first 30 days of your employment. This will be easy, especially if you live in a larger metropolitan area, such as Los Angeles. Plus, the cash bonus is sure to motivate you to take as many trips, as possible, on a daily basis.
Once you’ve claimed the new Uber driver bonus, you can keep driving and making money, in addition to taking advantages of the next bonus, Hourly Guarantees.
At the beginning of 2016, Uber announced that they would cut rates in over 100 United States and Canadian cities. The reasoning behind the cut prices was an estimated higher demand for 2016. Thus, Uber reasoned that a higher demand means that drivers will see an influx of money, so it would be okay to cut prices. Since different states and cities have different demographics and economic standings, the price cuts vary in different cities. Then, in order to help drivers combat their lower fares, Uber introduced guaranteed hourly earnings.
To break this down, guaranteed hourly earnings are basically what Uber has estimated you to make per hour. If you fall short of your guaranteed hourly earnings, Uber will pay you the difference. But, when following the guaranteed hourly earnings program, you have to adhere to the following requirements:
- Accept a minimum amount of 90% trips you are offered
- Meet the average number of trips per hour block
The guaranteed hourly earnings, along with the average number of trips you need per hour block will vary among cities. Also, it is important to remember that hourly guarantee rates are calculated before Uber takes their 20%. So, if you have a $20 per hour guarantee, it is actually only $16 per hour.
So, if you want to join the guaranteed hourly earnings program, just ensure that you only decline a few trips, and complete at least the average number of trips, you have to, for the hour block (this is typically around 1.5 trips). If you don’t, Uber won’t pay you the guaranteed hourly earnings difference.
Refer New Drivers
Getting paid for referring new drivers is another promotion that Uber is currently running, and is a great way for drivers to make extra cash. If you are an Uber driver, simply refer people as new drivers to Uber. The new driver needs to simply use your referral code at signup, then you both will get a cash bonus as well once they complete the required number of trips. Since these rewards are double-sided, you will both get paid.
The cash bonus varies widely, and just depends on what city you sign up in and at what time. These bonuses change often, and are calculated with an algorithm that factors in driver and passenger demand. The less drivers available = higher bonus to recruit more. If a city has a lot of drivers that want to driver, the bonus obviously drops because Uber has plenty of demand to fill the spots.
The awesome thing about this referral program is current Uber drivers can give the code to anyone. It doesn’t matter if the person who uses your referral code has known you for a few years, or just met you. Also, your referral code will not expire, so you can continue to market the code for years on end. While these bonuses may not seem like a whole lot right off the bat, they can certainly add up before you know it.
There are a few ways that you can market your referral code. A popular way is putting it on social media, thus it is available for the world. Another popular way, to market your referral code, is to speak highly of Uber to your friends, family, and co-workers. If they hear about how much success you have gotten through Uber, and the cash bonuses they can get if they start driving for Uber, they are most likely going to sign up. Thus, it’s the perfect win-win situation.
However, please not that there are a few places you cannot share your referral code. These include paid ads such as Google Adwords or Facebook and Twitter ads. If Uber finds you sharing the code on these outlets, they can, and will, cut your account off. So please be careful when sharing and signing up other drivers.
Refer New Riders
Uber drivers aren’t the only people who get benefits from Uber. New Uber riders have the chance to get free ride credits with the passenger referral program. The passenger referral program begins with an Uber driver. An Uber driver will create a personalized referral code for a free ride that is equivalent to up to $20. Once the Uber driver has their personalized referral code, they have the opportunity to share it with anyone they want to.
Most people share it with their friends, family, and co-workers, as well as posting it on social media. Whoever comes across the passenger referral code can use it, regardless if you are the driver or not. Once someone uses your passenger referral code, you will be credited $30 in ride credits. Initially, you may wonder why you need Uber ride credits if you are an Uber driver. But, the reality is that everyone likes to go out and have fun, and after spending a night on the town, having ride credits could stop you from getting behind the wheel, as well as eliminating the cost of taking an Uber home. Like every Uber referral program, there are terms and conditions:
- Only a select amount of cities participate in the Uber passenger referral program
- Passenger referral codes only work for new accounts
- The person using the passenger referral code must enter the code prior to booking their first ride
- The free ride credit is only good for up to $20
- The $20 ride credit is not redeemable for cash
- You cannot transfer the ride credit
- Ride credits are only valid for the first 30 days
Overall, the $20 ride credit for new Uber customers, and the $30 ride credit for Uber drivers, can be extremely useful. You never know when you are going to need to use that free ride credit. Thus, this referral code is beneficial to Uber drivers and new Uber customers.
Uber Rider Promotions
Now that we’ve covered current Uber promotions for drivers, let’s take a look at the promotions available to riders. Like their current driver promotions, Uber is offering free ride credit and other related promotions to new riders in an effort to grow their rider base.
Uber Promo Code for New Users
Since new Uber drivers have the option of using a promo code, which gives them benefits, it shouldn’t be a surprise that new Uber riders have similar options. New user promo codes can come from various sources, but the best promo codes from Uber. Currently, Uber is offering a promo code that gives users a free trip worth up to $22. Like other Uber offers, this promo code comes with the following terms and conditions:
- Prior to requesting your first ride, type the phrase, “3SEO” into the promo code option
- This offer can only be used on your first Uber ride
- The promo code is only valid in the United States
- The promo code is only worth up to $20
- Like other promotions, this offer cannot be redeemed for cash
A $20 ride credit can get you pretty far, so be sure to use it before it expires. Also, you can find new Uber user promo codes from people who partner with Uber, which we will discuss below. If you want to see how far the Uber promo code will get you, check out this cool Uber ride fare estimator:
Simply enter your beginning and ending destination, then this tool will do all the hard work and give you a real-time estimate including price, Uber types available, and many more Uber trip details.
Uber Promo Codes for Existing Users
Although it may seem as if Uber only gives promo codes to new users, this isn’t the case. There are a few ways that existing Uber users can earn free rides. Firstly, you could always ride with a friend who is using a free ride credit. If your friend happens to be a new Uber user, and plans to use a new user promo code, simply tag along with them. But, this method can quickly become old and ineffective. So, you could search for promo codes for existing users, and yes, they do exist.
The first place to search for a promo code, for existing users, is Uber’s website. Uber regularly introduces new promo codes, especially when the seasons begin to change, and around the holidays. Currently, Uber does not have any available promo codes for existing users. But, it’s about to be summer, so it would be smart to regularly check their promo page. Another way that you could find promo codes, for existing users, is to search for people, websites, and companies who have partnered with Uber, but we will elaborate on this a little later.
The last popular way to get an Uber promo code, if you’re an existing user, is to obtain a personal code and share it with friends, family, co-workers, and even strangers. In order to do this, create your personalized promo code on Uber’s website or app. When family, friends, co-workers, and anyone else uses your personalized promo code, they get a free Uber ride credit in their account. Once they use your personalized promo code, you get a free ride credit for referring them. The following list is the term and conditions of your personalized promo code:
- People can only use it if they are a new Uber user
- The promo code has to be entered prior to requesting a ride
- The offer cannot be redeemed for cash (this applies to the person who uses the code, and the person who supplies the code)
- The offer is only good for a maximum credit of whatever the stated amount is
While a $20 ride credit doesn’t seem like a lot, overtime it can save you a lot of money. If you have a lot of friends, co-workers, and family who haven’t used Uber yet, then introduce them to Uber after you have created a personalized promo code. If they have been skeptical about using Uber, the freeride credit is sure to intrigue them. Also, if you really want to rack up $20 ride credits, for yourself, then post your personalized promo code to social media. Thus, anyone and everyone will be able to access it.
Uber Partnership Promotions
You don’t have to be a driver or a frequent passenger to become involved with Uber. Uber offers partnership options for one-time events, as well as ongoing partnerships with businesses. If you are hosting an event, you can partner with Uber and they will give you a custom Uber promo code for you and your attendees. The following is a list of the terms and conditions of the event Uber promo code:
- The promo code is worth a maximum of a whatever the ride credit amount you settle on is
- The offer cannot be redeemed for cash
- The promo code can only be used for first-time Uber users
- The offer is valid only for the day of your event
Thus, the event promo code can be extremely useful for guests who have had a few drinks, or are too tired to drive home. If you are interested in partnering with Uber, for an event, personalized referral code.
The second type of partnership that Uber offers is an ongoing partnership with businesses. Since the terms of the partnership varies among the size of the business, and other factors, Uber doesn’t have a public general list of what ongoing partnerships typically entail. But, there are a few things we do know about Uber ongoing partnerships.
The first thing is, Uber is opened to partnering with various sized business in a variety of niches, specifically those in the following demographics:
- Event organizers and promoters
- Food and beverage
- Professional organization
Also, Uber is interested in partnering with businesses who can communicate their Uber partnership on various platforms, such as; blogs, social media, and in person. Finally, Uber looks for potential partners who hosts events throughout the year, where Uber can be featured.
Uber’s partnerships range from partnering with YouTubers and social media influencers, to partnering with large businesses. The following are examples of businesses who have ongoing partnerships with Uber:
- InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG): Towards the end of 2015, the Intercontinental Hotels Group announced that they were partnering with Uber, and their combined service would begin in early 2016. Basically, if you are an active member of the InterContinental Hotels Group’s loyalty program, IHG Rewards Club, you gain points when you use Uber. Uber even gives a $20 ride credit promo code for new users, who are members of the IHG Rewards Club. Also, when you use the promo code, you get 2,000 IHG Rewards Club points, which count towards a redeemable future stay at any IHG hotel in the world.
- The University of Maryland: In the middle of 2015, Uber announced that they were partnering with the University of Maryland to help promote innovation and entrepreneurship within college students. Uber gave the university $25,000, which went to the co-working space, which is run by students, called the Startup Shell. From 2015 to 2017, Uber has committed to award investor grants to companies that students from the University of Maryland created.
- Xchange Leasing: Xchange Leasing is actually an Uber program with various partners. When Uber first opened, many people wanted to drive for Uber, but they didn’t have a car. So, in the summer of 2015 Uber announced their new leasing program, Xchange Leasing. Various manufactures, such as, Toyota, GM, Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, VW, and Chrysler partnered with Uber to give new Uber drivers purchase new cars at a discounted price. Uber drivers also have the option to lease a vehicle through Westlake Financial Services, at a lower price. Finally, if Uber drivers want to just rent a car where they will be driving, instead of leasing or purchasing one, they can rent through one of Uber’s rental partners, such as Flexdrive.
Uber Developer Program
One main reason that Uber is extremely popular and successful, is because their services can easily be accessed from an app on your smartphone. If you are interested in partnering with Uber, and have your own app, you can join their developer program. Basically, you will use Uber’s API to integrate their service into your app. For every new Uber user who originated through your API integration, and accepts their first trip, you will get paid $5. For more information, continue below to read some of the program’s terms and conditions:
- Your user referrals are tracked by your Client ID.
- You will only get paid if the person signs up, to Uber, from your API integration.
- You are eligible for a cash payment when you have acquired a minimum of $250 in referral fees.
- Payments are sent once a month.
- You can only earn a maximum amount of $5,000 in referral fees. After you have made the maximum amount, you may have the option of becoming a partner, which unlocks the ability to earn even more money by promoting the service
Overall, if you are looking to earn some extra income, and you have an app or even a simple partnership idea, joining Uber’s developer program is a phenomenal way to achieve this. If you are interested in joining the Uber developer program, personalized referral code.
Overall, Uber is a phenomenal transportation service that has revolutionized car service. Aside from Uber’s competitive prices, they offer incentives, promotions, and other opportunities for their employees and customers. No other forms of transportation, like buses and taxis, offer the same incentives that Uber does.
Through the varied promotions and opportunities that Uber gives to their employees and customers, you can tell that they are just as dedicated to you, as you are to them. If you choose to drive for Uber, you are pretty much guaranteed to make more money than the typical taxi driver, and by customizing your own promo code, you can make even more. While most companies only offer incentives for their employees or customers, Uber ensures that everyone involved in their company is completely satisfied. Thus, they offer customer promo codes, which includes free ride credits.
Finally, while Uber wants to market their services, they want to make sure that your company is successful too. That’s why they offer short-term and long-term partnerships to virtually everyone and any business. So, with so many opportunities as an employee and customer, at Uber, what are you waiting for?