- How Does Shipt Work?
- Signing Up for Shipt
- Selecting a Shipt Membership
- Placing an Order with Shipt
- Delivery and Receiving Your Order
- Payment and Tipping
- Managing Your Account and Order History
- Wrapping Up
How Does Shipt Work?
Shipt works by allowing you to browse stores and select what you need from their wares. A Shipt Shopper will then claim your order, and then stay in contact with you throughout the process until they deliver the groceries to your selected point.
In this article, we’ll show you how to navigate through the application, from creating an account to tipping your shopper.
Signing Up for Shipt
Creating an account with Shipt is straightforward:
- Download the App: First, download the Shipt app from the Play or App Stores.
- Registration: Click the “Sign Up” button and fill in your details, including your full name, phone number, and address.
- Payment Method: Choose your preferred payment method from options like debit card, credit card, PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, or Shipt Gift cards.
Selecting a Shipt Membership
Upon creating your account, you can then select between three membership plans.
- The Annual Membership: Ideal for frequent users, this plan is cost-effective at $99 per year (about $8.25 per month). If you’re new to Shipt, you might want to start with the monthly option to test the service.
- The Monthly Membership: Priced at $10.99 per month, this plan is slightly more expensive but offers flexibility. It’s a good choice for a trial period.
- The Student Membership: Exclusively for college students, this plan offers the most affordable rate at $4.99 per month. It’s available for up to four years or until graduation, providing significant savings for students.
Keep in Mind:
If you claim a free trial of a Shipt membership, you’ll be automatically charged every month unless you cancel.
There are 3 ways to cancel Shipt memberships you should know.
Cancelling a Shipt membership is not exactly easy, so if you get stuck paying a recurring charge, take a look at our guide for help.
Placing an Order with Shipt
Here’s how you can place an order using the Shipt App:
Step 1: Choose Your Preferred Store
After creating an account, you’ll be able to browse the list of available retailers, including Target, Petco, Office Depot, Kroger, and more.
Once you find your preferred store, click on it, and the menu of available groceries will appear.
Step 2: Add Items to Your Cart
Shipt has an extensive selection that includes a large variety of groceries like fresh produce, seafood, dairy products, meat, bakery, and a lot more.
That’s because Shipt partners with many major stores, which is why you’ll often find one that’s convenient for you.
Now that the store’s items are listed in front of you, go ahead and fill your cart with whatever you need. You can search for items by name or browse through the aisles.
To select an item, tap on it and specify the quantity you need. If that item is available in multiple sizes or brands, you will have a drop-down menu to allow you to select what you need.
You can also add special instructions for your Shipt shopper to read, such as “Please don’t bring a substitute if you don’t find my desired brand” or “No need to reach out to me if you need to substitute something.”
Communicating With Your Shipt Shopper
In some cases, the items ordered from retailers are not available in the store; therefore, there are three options to go about it; you can enter any of the options shown below:
- Contact me so that I can choose.
- Do not substitute.
- Choose for me.
It’s common for you to substitute for certain items if they’re not available, and the same scenario can happen with your Shipt Shopper.
When that happens, your Shipt Shopper will reach out to you through the app or the website. You may then approve or decline the substitution.
You don’t have to wait for your Shopper to communicate with you if you have something to say. If you have any questions or requests, go ahead and talk to them through the app.
Step 3: Choose a Delivery Time
Shipt allows you to get your items now or at the time you decide. If you want your items now, then Shipt can deliver your items as early as an hour after placing and confirming your order.
Step 4: Checkout
Once you fill your cart and input all the information you need, you’ll have the option to review everything one last time before checkout.
Once you’re content that you’ve got everything in order, you may proceed with the checkout.
How to Cancel Your Order
- Open the Shipt app and tap on Orders.
- Select the order you want to cancel.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the order details and tap on Cancel Order.
- Select a reason for canceling your order and tap on Cancel Order again.
Delivery and Receiving Your Order
Shipt prioritizes customer convenience and satisfaction throughout the entire delivery process, from order placement to handoff.
Shipt excels in keeping you informed every step of the way from the moment you place your order.
You’ll be notified once a shopper claims your order and starts shopping. You’ll also be notified when they’re on their way to the store, and when they’re approaching your desired delivery address — all with expected ETAs.
Tracking the order is as simple as it gets. You can track the order’s progress in real-time through the app.
It’s best to stay near your phone when your shopper is picking up your items, as that’s when it’s more likely that they may contact you through the app for any reason.
Contactless Delivery Handoff Process
In line with health and safety protocols, Shipt offers contactless, doorside grocery deliveries for added peace of mind.
Here’s how the contactless handoff process works:
- Once your shopper arrives at your designated delivery location, they will step back to maintain a safe distance before notifying you that your order has arrived via the app.
- After you retrieve your order, you should confirm through the app that you retrieved it. Your Shopper won’t be able to leave until you do so. It’s best not to keep them waiting.
- If you’re not available at home, you can select the “leave at the door” delivery option, allowing your shopper to leave before you confirm receiving the order. However, you must confirm receiving the order once you get back home.
Note: If you live in an apartment or a complex where the shopper might have difficulty reaching you, inform the building management/security personnel that you’re expecting a delivery to make it easier for your shopper.
Payment and Tipping
You may have already selected your preferred payment method when signing up. Still, you’ll be asked to confirm that payment method again or add a new one at checkout.
The cost of using Shipt will depend on whether you have a membership or not.
If you have a membership, you’ll pay a $7 fee for orders below $35 and no fee for orders above $35.
If you’re not a member, you’ll have to pay the $7 delivery fee and a service fee. This service fee will vary depending on your order’s size and delivery distance.
Tipping Your Shipt Shopper
While it’s not mandatory, tipping your shopper is a good way to express your appreciation for the service given, especially if you’ve matched with a good shopper.
The standard tipping range is often between 5% and 20%. To tip, you can use the app by navigating to the order details and adding a tip.
You can also do so manually by handing a tip to your shopper once they show up with your order. Whatever you tip, it goes 100% to the shopper, so you’ll be helping a great deal.
Managing Your Account and Order History
Shipt has a fantastic user-friendly interface to help you manage your account. It allows you to review your order history, track past purchases, and reorder from previous purchases.
To access your order history, open your account profile and click on “Order History.” Once you select an order, you can view its details or reorder it by clicking on the reorder button.
This can be quite helpful if you want to group up your weekly or monthly groceries in one list and order them with one click.
If you have any issues with your account management or orders, you can get help through the In-App Help Center, live chat, email support, or phone call support.
If don’t have much time to pick up groceries, yet you need to have someone update you every step of the way while they pick them up for you, Shipt is a great candidate for the job.
Its straightforward, sign-up process, handy interface, variety of payment methods, and real-time updates make it stand out among other grocery delivery apps.
Make sure to stay in contact with your shopper for a smooth experience, and don’t forget to give them a nice tip.