Shipt is an American delivery service provider for groceries, and it is based in Birmingham, Alabama.
You may have heard of Shipt, especially during this corona pandemic, if you shop groceries online.
Target Corporation acquired Shipt for $550 in 2017.
However, you might be asking yourself, “how does Shipt work?”
In this article, you will know everything about how Shipt works.
You can order groceries from Shipt via iOS or Android mobile app.
Ordering is as simple as using other online shopping apps, such as Petco, and their pricing is more or less the same as other online apps.
Related: Shipt vs Instacart: Which comes out on top?
How Does Shipt Work?
Shipt has an intricate process for high-quality grocery delivery services from a grocery store you prefer.
However, you must go through specific steps to ensure that the groceries reach you at the expected time without causing inconveniences; thus, grocery shopping is more leisurely.
Below is a breakdown of how Shipt works:
1. Download the Shipt App
After downloading the Shipt application, set up an account.
You can download Shipt for both Android and iOS devices for those with iPhone cellphones.
If you are using a laptop, you can also use a website to sign in and create an account at shipt.com.
You will be required to provide an email address, name, and password.
2. Add Location and Choose a Preferable Store
After creating an account and getting logged into the system, add your location manually or use GPS.
Usually, you have to enter the address where you want your groceries delivered with the manual method.
After you add a location, a list of grocery stores that work with Shipt will be displayed.
3. Adding Items to the Shopping Cart
Browse the items you want to order after choosing a preferred store.
To make this process easy, the products are separated into different categories.
If you have previously used the app, it will provide a tally of your initially purchased items.
Based on that, there is a recommendation for you.
Once you settle on what you want to order, select “add to cart.”
Counter-check the products chosen at the end of this stage.
4. Choose a Membership Plan
Although downloading the Shipt is free, you must have a valid Shipt membership to place an order.
The monthly membership fee costs $14, while the annual membership costs $99.
We recommend you choose a yearly plan since you will need groceries throughout the year.
This will save you some dollars in conjunction with being more convenient.
Keep in Mind:
If you claim a free trial of a Shipt membership, you’ll be automatically charged every month unless you cancel.
There are 3 ways to cancel Shipt memberships you should know.
Cancelling a Shipt membership is not exactly easy, so if you get stuck paying a recurring charge, take a look at our guide for help.
5. Select a Delivery Time Slot
After opting into a Shipt membership plan, the next thing that you will be required to do is to place an order and checkout.
Ensure you confirm your contact information, delivery address and enter a convenient payment method.
Usually, the groceries can be delivered on the same day, but it will depend on your location and the time you placed the order.
6. Substituting Preferred Products
In some cases, the items ordered from retailers are not available in the store; therefore, there are three options to go about it; you can enter any of the options shown below:
- Contact me so that I can choose.
- Do not substitute.
- Choose for me.
7. Receiving an Order
You will receive a notification when the ship shopper reaches the store to start the shopping.
In case of a substitution, a message will be sent.
Suppose you decline a drop-off, be sure you will be available for the delivery slot.
In addition, you will also receive a message when the shopper is on the way to drop the groceries.
Is Shipt Worth the Money: Does Shipt Meet Your Value for Money?
Shipt is a very convenient app for both Shipt shoppers and its clients.
With Shipt, you will save a lot of time since someone else will shop the groceries and deliver them to your doorstep.
In addition, Shipt is organized; you can quickly search for any item you want since they are organized in categories and subcategories.
Furthermore, there are same-day deliveries that are scheduled as per the shopper and client’s convenience.
Shipt is very flexible, and you can remove a selected item if it does not suit you anymore.
I will always recommend the Shipt app because it is worth it.
Furthermore, through Shipt, both the shopper and client work with their schedules.
It is not a full-time job but a side hustle.
Shipt pays according to the number of clients or stores.
Concepts to Understand
- You can communicate with a Shipt shopper via SMS. They can inform you In case there is a substitution to make.
- Deliveries for items above $35 are free; therefore, if you do not want to pay the delivery fee, ensure your groceries have a value of more than $35.
- If something on your order goes wrong, you can reach out to Shipt customer service to get help.
How to Place an Order on Shipt?
Wherever you are invited to use, you will probably be eager to know what protocols you need to follow before you make your order through the app.
Before you start using Shipt, ensure you have the following:
- Have a membership – shoppers are given a free membership to Shipt if they sign in using their shopper addresses.
- Open the application – Shipt is meant to serve its customers, including shoppers. Log in by entering your correct username and password.
- Check store for Target – Check and ensure that the store you are looking at is from Target. Check on the green bar at the top of the screen.
- Check address – Check and confirm that you provided the correct address. If it is not right, click “Change” and then fill out the form.
To make an order go through the following steps:
- Please search for the product you desire to buy and tap on it. Shipt app has various ways of adding products.
- One such way is by searching Target located on the top of the screen.
- After you initially purchase, you will see a “buy again” list, which you can scroll through. There is also a scanner that can aid you input items that should be found on Target.
- Clip coupons along the way in case you believe you will purchase this product. Click on the “buy,” get “price off” below the selected item and then click on “Clip Coupon” and get an offer.
- If it says to get more than one, you need to put that number of units. In case this does not occur, it will automatically be applied to the order at the end.
- You must also recognize what other tabs have to offer. Note that Target does not provide items based on the available categories.
- By clicking on “shop,” you will locate more categories and subcategories to narrow down to.
- If you wish to explore deals with coupons, click on the deals tab.
- To see the things you have bought in the past, use the My Items Tab. This can aid you in making decisions on what you need to buy.
- The Orders tab should not trouble you since it only displays the history and receipts of the previous orders.
You should keep an eye on the shopping cart icon located in the top right corner of the Shipt app.
It will display the total units and can help you get to the next steps.
- Tap the + button to add an item. Suppose you later decide that is not what you want, remove the article by clicking on the green box followed by the garbage item.
- To view the items, tap on the product icon.
At the top of the page, there is usually the product’s photo.
Below it, there is a brand and name, and the next line will contain the price and the size or dimensions of the specific product.
For certain types of products, there is a concise description in an area just below it.
Finally, you can read the scrollable “recommended for you line” to view similar products.
Tap on the “Add to Cart” button to add the product to your cart.
In case you make a mistake, tap on the trashcan button.
To add more units, tap the + button on the Pseudo sliders bar.
To complete the order, tap on the “Shopping Cart” button.
Ensure you double-check your items.
The app also allows you to make particular orders if the things you want are not in the database.
Read the subtotal line in the bottom right corner for the order total.
Usually, it does not include delivery fees, bottle deposits, and tips.
Be sure to choose a convenient pay structure.
Final pay varies according to store prices and the service fee.
By clicking on the “Checkout” button, you will be able to make this delivery scheduled.
Finally, you will have them at your doorstep.
After this, you will be required to select a delivery window.
Tap on the radio-box button to choose a window that fits you.
- Check out after ensuring that:
- The delivery address is correct.
- Tell Shipt if you want the delivery to be a contactless delivery.
- Fill delivery instructions.
- Be sure that the delivery window is appropriate.
- Counter-check substitution instructions.
- Check whether the payment form is correct. You can choose a debit card or a credit card, where you might be asked to insert your CVS.
Wind up the process by clicking on the place order button at the bottom of the screen.
After that, you will use a delivery app to trace your items.
How Do Shipt Shoppers Choose Items?
Shipt shoppers choose when to shop.
They usually receive the orders through the Shipt app and pick them on your behalf.
A Shipt online shopper will select the groceries you choose from a preferred local store and deliver them to your doorstep.
In case groceries are not available, substitution is done using the specific instruction you gave.
Then, online shoppers can use an Uber driver with a valid U.S. driver’s license to deliver the items to your doorstep.
How Long Does a Shipt Shopping/Delivery Take?
Your deliveries can be scheduled for as little as an hour.
However, Shipt same-day delivery is challenged by the time of the day during which an order is made.
However, some stores are available for delivery 24 hours a day.
Did you Know?
Once shipped, you can utilize the Shipt tracking feature to know where you order is at and what time it will arrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Anything you need to know about Shipt and how it works
How Much Do Shipt Workers Make?
You can make between $16-22 per hour, depending on experience.
They are paid per shop; thus, the more the shops, the more you earn
Can Shipt Leave Groceries at the Doorstep?
Shipt has contactless delivery where shoppers can complete the delivery process by leaving items at the door.
Can Shipt Shopper App Users See Who Tips?
By checking the app after completing a delivery, Shipt workers can see those who tip and those who do not tip.
They can also see how much they leave behind after tipping.
Can Shipt Shoppers See Who Rates Them?
There is no rating for customers on Shipt.