- Uber operates at O’Hare with services like UberX, Comfort, UberXL, and more. Use the app to choose your ride. We suggest UberX if you have a lot of luggage.
- Options range from budget-friendly UberX to luxurious Uber Black/SUV. Eco-conscious riders can opt for Uber Green.
- Estimated fares vary with service type, with an average wait time of 5-10 minutes. Be aware of rush hour delays.
- Use the Uber app to find your pickup location at O’Hare. The pickup spot varies by service type and terminal.
- Does Uber Operate at the Chicago Airport?
- Types of Uber Services Available at O’Hare
- Estimated Fares and Wait Times
- How to Request an Uber at O’Hare
- Finding Your Uber Pickup Locations
- Tips for a Smooth Uber Experience at O’Hare
- Uber and Airport Security Measures
- Understanding O’Hare’s Rideshare Policies (For Drivers)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
Does Uber Operate at the Chicago Airport?
Yes, Uber operates at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago. Available Uber services at O’Hare include UberX, Comfort, UberXL, Uber Green, Uber Pet, Uber Black, Uber Espanol, and Uber WAV. Passengers can simply use the Uber app to choose their preferred ride option.
Alternative Transportation Options
Taking an Uber from the airport is the more convenient choice, especially if you have a lot of luggage to lug around. Although, there are probably more affordable transportation options, such as:
- Taxi: a taxi ride from ORD to the center of Chicago, aka the Loop, is around $55, not including a 20% tip, and can take about 30 minutes. Keep in mind that, during rush hour, the ride will likely slightly take longer and prices will increase.
- Public transportation: taking the 81W bus line and then transferring to the 65 bus line will get you to the center of Chicago in a little over an hour and cost around $5.
- Private bus: an average trip from ORD to downtown Chicago can take around 42 minutes and will cost you anywhere between $2 and $5.
- Train service: there are several train services available at the airport. The most popular is the Blue Line, which is a rapid transit service that runs 24/7. It connects ORD to downtown Chicago in around 45 minutes.
Types of Uber Services Available at O’Hare
Here’s a quick look at how Uber works and what each service has to offer.
The more popular and wallet-friendly way to travel is with UberX. With this service, vehicles can accommodate a maximum of four people and up to 2 large suitcases in the trunk.
UberXShare features similar perks but with the added benefit of saving up to 35% of your original fare.
2. Uber Black/SUV
Black and Black SUVs are the most luxurious of all four services. The drivers are more professional and top-rated and the vehicles are more premium, lavish, and extravagant.
Enjoy the fine leather seats to stretch out comfortably after an exhaustive trip and show up to your destination in style with the Uber Black designed to accommodate up to four people. For a bigger group, opt for the Uber Black SUV.
3. Uber Green
Uber Green uses low-emission, hybrid, electric vehicles. Launched in 2020, this service is the first step in the company’s long-term mission to become a 100% zero-emission mobility platform by the year 2040.
4. Comfort and Comfort Electric
Both types of cars are newer models chosen for their extra legroom to provide riders with a more comfortable, relaxed ride out of the airport.
Comfort Electric comes with the added benefit that it only uses premium zero-emission vehicles.
UberXL uses SUVs and vans suitable to comfortably fit up to six people. With affordable prices and comfortable vehicles, UberXL is the perfect pick for a family ride to and from O’Hare.
XL cars can accommodate up to three large suitcases.
Estimated Fares and Wait Times
Below is an estimate of fares for a trip from ORD to the Loop, or the center of Chicago.
For all services, the trip mileage is the same, around 18 miles. All types of Uber services take approximately 40 minutes but can take longer during rush hour, forcing prices to go up.
Cancellation fees are $5 and the app stipulates a minimum fare of $2.70.
As for wait times, the average for all services is around 5–10 minutes. Of course, this depends on your location and how heavy the traffic is.
- UberX: charges a $1.70 base fare. Then, there’s $0.20 per minute and $0.90 per mile in Chicago. Also, factor in a $1 safe ride fee Chicago rate and a $0.30 City of Chicago Transit Tax and Accessibility fee, which comes to about $49 for a trip from ORD to the Loop or Chicago city center.
- UberXL: Available to groups of up to six riders, UberXL can cost you around $72 depending on whether or not there are traffic delays or variations due to discounts.
- Uber Black/Black SUV: If you’re looking for a more luxurious ride to pick you up from the airport, it’ll cost you around $88.
- Uber Green: The more eco-friendly choice in the bunch, a trip to the Loop via an Uber Green will cost you around $52.
- Uber Comfort/Comfort Electric: with newer, more spacious vehicles comes an increase in far that can reach 1.15 times that of an UberX ride
How to Request an Uber at O’Hare
Uber pickups at ORD through the app are straightforward. Follow the instructions below to find out where to meet your Uber driver.
The exact location will depend on the type of ride you requested and the size of the airport. Given that this is the 6th-busiest airport in the world, the terminal specified by the app may not be the one nearest to where you are.
1. Open the Uber App
To request a ride to your destination from O’Hare, open the Uber app on your smart device.
2. Select an Uber Type
Choose the option that best meets Uber’s luggage policy and is ideal for the number of riders.
We usually suggest UberXL, especially if you have more than 2 riders, each with luggage.
3. Follow the On-Screen Directions
The app will give you directions about all the suitable ORD pickup points, which can vary according to the product and terminal.
For economy rides, you’ll be asked to meet your rideshare driver on the Departures level of Terminal 2.
However, if you’ve requested a premium ride, such as Uber Black or Black SUV, you’ll be directed to head to the Arrivals level of any of the four terminals depending on the one nearest the driver.
3. Select a Terminal
Select one of the terminals and ORD pickup locations specified by the app.
4. Confirm Driver Information Before Getting In
As with all rideshare apps, the driver’s name, license plate, and car color will show in the app. Make sure you verify your ride via the Uber app before getting into the car. If you can’t find your driver, contact them through the app.
Finding Your Uber Pickup Locations
Locating your pickup location at O’Hare can be tricky. To eliminate confusion, see the video or tutorial below to understand the pickup process:
- Requesting Your Ride: Initiate your journey by launching the Uber app and requesting a ride. Select the option best fitting your group’s size and luggage requirements at Chicago O’Hare Airport.
- Navigating to the Pickup Point: The app provides specific instructions for ORD pickup spots. These locations can vary depending on the terminal and the Uber service you choose.
- Standard Pickup Protocol: Typically, for regular services, you should head to the Departures level of Terminal 2, where your rideshare driver will be waiting.
- Special Instructions for Uber Black and SUV: If you’ve opted for Uber Black or SUV services at ORD, your driver will meet you on the Arrivals level of any terminal.
- Confirming Your Pickup Spot: Once you’ve selected your terminal, the app will indicate your specific pickup location at ORD. Keep in mind, this may not always be the closest exit to you.
- Final Steps Before Boarding: The app will display your driver’s details, including their name, license plate number, and car color. Always verify these details before entering the vehicle. If there’s any difficulty in locating your driver, use the app to contact them directly.
Tips for a Smooth Uber Experience at O’Hare
We rounded up several tips to help make your Uber experience smooth and hassle-free at O’Hare and every other airport worldwide.
As with other ridesharing companies, the trick is to familiarize yourself ahead of time with these tips to ensure your trip goes off without a hitch.
So, here are some tips to keep in mind before your next trip:
- Schedule your ride from the day before or even up to 90 days in advance using the feature ‘Uber Reserve.’
- After landing, you can use the ‘reserve when you land function’ to request your ride once you’re sure you’re ready to leave the airport and head outside.
- Use the useful feature known as ‘Saved Places’ to store common places you frequently go to as a way of saving time and effort when requesting a ride.
- If you usually use Uber for work trips, you can make the payment process faster and more seamless by creating a Business Profile. Go to the ‘Settings’ menu in your app or computer, tap on ‘Add Business Profile,’ and fill in the necessary information.
- If you’ve already requested a trip, or are mid-trip, and want to change your payment method, you can easily switch with one tap. The same also applies to switching between personal and business profiles.
Uber and Airport Security Measures
As a company, Uber is committed to ensuring the safety of its riders and drivers. That’s why it’s constantly coming up with new and improved standards of safety and airport security.
To make sure your trip from ORD goes without a hitch, here are some of Uber’s more prominent airport security measures:
- When it’s time to wait for your driver, the airport may require you to wait in a specially designated area to receive a trip
- Many airports may set up specific pickup points to make it easier to locate your driver
- Before your first pickup from the airport, ask to see if you need a special permit or placard for easier access.
- Uber drivers are requested to avoid blocking bus pickup zones or the curb and to yield to emergency vehicles to minimize the risk of possible injuries or mishaps.
Navigating one of the world’s largest and busiest airports requires finesse and efficiency. That’s where O’Hare’s rideshare policies come into play, which are similar to San Francisco’s Uber policies.
Below, we’ve listed some of the terms that drivers must adhere to to ensure a successful pick-up:
- When the driver is on airport property, the Uber app must be active at all times
- Drivers must have their Uber vehicle decal displayed on the front passenger windshield facing outward at all times
- Drivers must always have their Vehicle Emblem and their TNP Chauffeur License on the passenger side dashboard.
- Drives must place the TNP Trade Dress on the passenger side of the rear window
- Drivers must complete a quiz before initiating any pick-ups at any of Chicago’s airports, including O’Hare.
- Drivers are expected to adhere to the instructions and guidelines set by airport staff
- Drivers are expected to follow all posted signage on airport property and staging lot
- Drivers waiting for their pick-up should enter the designated waiting area prepared by airport officials located just off Balmoral Avenue.
- There’s a second waiting lot located at the intersection of Montrose and Mannheim
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Does Uber Pick Up at O’Hare?
For economy rides, Uber drivers will head to the Departures level on Terminal 2 to locate their riders. Alternatively, premium rides can be found at any of the Arrivals levels of all four terminals. The exact place is determined by the location of the driver.
Is It Cheaper to Take a Taxi or Uber from O’Hare?
An Uber from O’Hare can cost around $35–$140 for an average ride time of 25 to 90 minutes. Alternatively, a 25–90 minute taxi ride can cost an average of $55.
Still, you have to factor in the 20% tip, any potential traffic you might come across, and the distance you’re traveling since there’s no distance limit for riders.
Requesting an Uber at O’Hare International Airport is as simple as a few taps on your smartphone.
Whether you opt for a basic vehicle, an eco-friendly option, a luxurious ride, or something big enough to accommodate your entire family, Uber has you covered.
Make sure you plan ahead and familiarize yourself with the company’s rules and regulations, as well as those specified by Uber, to ensure a stress-free, seamless ride to your destination.